What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO - Resolve iTunes Unknown Error 3194

Eddtr1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
help

Hello,

I left a message on the main hacking forum and was told to use tiny umbrealla which i have already done but i need help

I have a ipad 1 with firmware 4.3.5 the one before ios5. At work at mo so cant be certain. Anyho - a while back i used jailbreakme.com and had the iPad working. However I decided that i wanted to go back to the ipad being a normal ipad as jailbreaking wasnt for me. I did do the same for the iphone and was able to restore it and point it away from cydia so that it would update normally through itunes without saying i was not eligible.

With the ipad however, I tried to update to IOS5 last night and got the dreaded not eligible error mesage. I but the device into recovery with TU and still got nothing. The tick box for point it away from cydia is already unchecked. I also have no saved SHSH Blobs.

I dont know what to do. I have read the FAQ on Blobs and it is my understanding that these allow me to revert the ipad to earlier versions of firmwares.

My questions are

Is there still a way to save my ipad and get it completely back to normal?

The ipad isnt bricked is it?

What do i do without saved blobs - TU doesnt seem to be able to help?

All I want is to return the pad to normal!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, you don't want to use Tiny Umbrella ... mainly because it's unnecessary. So, when you try the upgrade again - do NOT have Tiny Umbrella running.

Then, people reported they were getting a lot of errors because Apple's servers were getting slammed. So, I'd suggest you try again.

If that doesn't work, try downloading the official iOS5 firmware from our sticky here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Then, put your iPad into DFU mode (with iTunes closed). iTunes should open and it'll tell you it's found an iPad that needs restoring. Hold the shift key and press the restore button and you'll be offered a browsing window where you can find the firmware you just downloaded. iTunes should take it from there.

But - I would try just plugging the iPad into iTunes and having it upgrade from there. Now that the servers have had a chance to breathe - it ought to work fine. Just don't use/mess with Tiny Umbrella.

Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Cherbie517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DFU Mode saved my life in this situation. tried everything. got error (3194) no matter if i used TU or NOTEPAD for manually editing the hots file. but putting it into DFU mode and restoring it, made it all work out!

duffjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a little tip too. I'm posting here because its the 1st in the list from Google for error 3194. If you have vmware workstaion installed you can get 3194 even if you dont have the hosts entry!!!!! If you do have vmware workstation installed or if you have multiple network adapters on your machine, disable them in Device Manager before you try. Worked for me. So the combination of hosts and disabling any other network adapters should do it. Tested and verified on 3 machines.

Thank you! I went in and disabled Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter under Network Adapters, and this fixed my 3194 error. It's great that this was the only post that mentioned this unique solution. This should be added to the instructions.

duffjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should modify my post by saying I encountered the 3194 error again. I had to disable all network adapters and then enable my primary network adapter for iTunes to overcome the error.

troubles4ewe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad recovery problem

I have been attempting to update my Ipad 1 to IOS 5 for hours now. I have followed all the instructions listed above several times, including the suggestions to reboot my pc but continue to get the 3194 error code from itunes.

I am running windows 7 x64 and IOS 4.3.5 on my ipad with Redsn0w 9x.

Here is what my hosts file looks like:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

# 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
# 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

Any help or suggestions are definitely welcome. I'm hoping there is just some small detail that I keep missing. Thank you in advance!

- also, my itunes does not auto open when I put the ipad in DFU mode, I have to manually open itunes.

Last edited:

troubles4ewe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like I might have missed the signing window for IOS 5... my itunes wants me to update to 5.0.1. Could this be why I'm getting the 3194 error when trying to recover to my 4.3.5 or the IOS 5 load?

At this point I cannot access any utility based app on my pad (settings, winterboard, cydia, etc), they all cause an instant reboot of the unit. This particular symptom didn't occur until after I attempted the recovery. :(

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like I might have missed the signing window for IOS 5... my itunes wants me to update to 5.0.1. Could this be why I'm getting the 3194 error when trying to recover to my 4.3.5 or the IOS 5 load?

At this point I cannot access any utility based app on my pad (settings, winterboard, cydia, etc), they all cause an instant reboot of the unit. This particular symptom didn't occur until after I attempted the recovery. :(

Yep, that's why. Apple has closed the iOS 5.0 window. Your only choice now is to move up to iOS 5.0.1 (or back down to a 4.x something - IF you have the SHSH blobs).

The good news is that 5.0.1 is jailbreakable (tethered) - so there's that.

Marilyn

P.S. Note to other readers - the poster has an iPad1. There is no jail break (yet) for the iPad2, tethered or untethered. Just to save any questions...

troubles4ewe

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Is it possible to use Redsn0w to 'rebreak' my ipad, to to perform a sort of re-install? Something has gone wrong with the software as stated above and I cannot even get into safe mode. I installed no new applications within the last week, so I am convinced that attempting the restore started all of this.

troubles4ewe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do have the blob for 4.3.5 saved on the Cydia server via Redsn0w, but I've never had to actually use it and am unsure about how to proceed.

troubles4ewe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all for the help. Cydia somehow only held a partial blob for my iPad build, so I ended up restoring to IOS 5.0.1 and then jail breaking again using the latest Sn0wbreeze.

blom98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks so much! i installed h1siri (beta of siri) manually and it worked fine for 5 minutes. and then everything looked wierd and i did succeed to remove it, but here where the problem starts! i couldnt find my settings i search for it, i checked if it was in multitasking no settings there and i was like omg! so i ran home from school and try to restore it for atleast 2 hours. and then i saw this thread that did help! thanks again!

Duman95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the original post. Edited the host file, rebooted and away it goes. Forgot I even saved my blobs with TU.... LOL.

forgrabz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, before I start telling you what I need help with, I'de like you to know that I am not very good with all of this technology and I haven't really done anything like this before. So please help me by telling me what I should do in the simplest way possible, much appreciated.

So anyway, I successfully jailbroke and installed cydia. I had ios 5.0.1 and in order for me to install what I wante I needed to downgrade to ios 4.3.3. After lots of googling, I found some clear instructions and followed exactly what they said but I ended up getting error 3194. I will tell you everything I did and hopefully one of you can point out everything I'vedone wrong.

So first I downloaded the actual thing I would need to downgrade it, so I saved it onto my computer. Then I think I put it in DFU mode, and don't worry it definitely didn't go into recovery mode. Then I went onto hosts, and copied it into my own documents and edited it in NotePad by adding the line at the bottom and then saved it. Then I went on iTunes, pressed shift, restore, selected the thing I downloaded earlier and then a message popped up saying something like it would restore it to 4.3.3 but would have to ask apple, so then it extracted the software and stuff but then a message popped up saying something like the iphone couldn't be restored and error 3194.

I'm sorry this wasn't very clear but like I said, I don't really know how to solve it even though I've tried to follow the instructions as best as I can. I really need someone to give me some more instructions on what I should do to fix this and urgently. Please comment as soon as possible because I could really do with some help. I'm sorry and thank you.

Most reactions

Latest posts