What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO - Resolve iTunes Unknown Error 3194

cornerstone_jr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't solve error 3194

Hi all,

I am about to frustrate with error 3194, i'm using ipad 2 ios 5.01, and i already jb my ipad, but because of some trouble which i can't open my thieving piracy tweak and cydia anymore from my ipad, i want to upgrade my ios, hoping that i will restore my ipad back to normal.

The problem is, everytime i want to restore my ipad using itunes, it always note that i encounter error 3194, i have followed many instructions from google, like updating host, etc, but still failed.

could anyone help me to resolve this problem??

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

cornerstone_jr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how can i upgrade my jb ios 5.01 to 5.1.1 or 6.0? since i still suffered error 3194?
thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, wait! I missed that piracy tweak in your first post. Fortunately for you - you got helped anyway. But, my advice now is the same as before - the only thing you can do is follow the steps in that link I provided.

This forum does not condone piracy nor support those those commit it. Not only is piracy against our rules, it's theft and thus illegal.

The only advice you are going to get here is to follow that link I posted (in thread #77) that will enable you to put the iPad back to stock (on ios 6.0.1). Oh, and another piece of advice: DON'T BE A PIRATE!!!

Marilyn

abbeyata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi
im trying to upgrade my ipad 2 currently on 5.01 to 6.1 but keep getting the error 3194
pls help
the ipad is not yet jail broken

i have tried editing the host file but still no luck

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
# 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi
im trying to upgrade my ipad 2 currently on 5.01 to 6.1 but keep getting the error 3194
pls help
the ipad is not yet jail broken

i have tried editing the host file but still no luck

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
# 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

There is nothing wrong with your hosts file. The problem is you are not allowed to update to 6.1. You can ONLY update to 6.1.3 today, and that is not currently jailbreakable. All you can do is restore to 6.1.3 (or stay at 5.0.1). If you have saved blobs for any 4.x firmware and also 5.1.1 you can use redsn0w to update to that using this guide - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...5-x-ipad2-ipad3-using-redsn0w-shsh-blobs.html
But if you don't already have those blobs, you are completely out of luck. There is no way to get them now.

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
isnt there any option to get our blobs after we jailbreak?

You can get blobs from Apple at any time, regardless of whether you are jailbroken or not. However, you can only get the blobs which Apple are currently providing. Today, that is 6.1.3 for the iPad2, 3, 4, and Mini, and 5.1.1 for the iPad1. :You cannot ever get older blobs once Apple has stopped providing them. That is the reason it is so important to save them when Apple is still providing them.

pliktro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.A question how do we know what blobs is apple providing?I mean is there a link/page to stay informed?

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.A question how do we know what blobs is apple providing?I mean is there a link/page to stay informed?

They will only ever provide what they consider to be the "current" firmware, with no more than a few hours cutover when a new firmware is released when you can get the new firmware and the one it replaces. So there really isn't a need for a list ;)
Whatever iTunes offers you to install on the device when you connect it can be considered the current firmware for which Apple is providing blobs.

nigelgos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm receiving this error when trying to update my JB iPad2 from 5.1.1 to 6.1.1/6.1.2. I've checked the host file and it's fine. Is this because Apple are no longer signing these older firmwares? If I want to remain Jailbroken am I stuck on my current firmware?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm receiving this error when trying to update my JB iPad2 from 5.1.1 to 6.1.1/6.1.2. I've checked the host file and it's fine. Is this because Apple are no longer signing these older firmwares? If I want to remain Jailbroken am I stuck on my current firmware?

Yes. You simply cannot update your iPad to 6.1.1 or 6.1.2 now. You either need to stay on 5.1.1 or move to 7.0.x without a jailbreak.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes. You simply cannot update your iPad to 6.1.1 or 6.1.2 now. You either need to stay on 5.1.1 or move to 7.0.x without a jailbreak.

To add on, with or without blobs, A5+ devices cannot be selectively restored.

nigelgos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To add on, with or without blobs, A5+ devices cannot be selectively restored.

I loaded up Tiny Umbrella and it looks like I have an early version of 6 saved, is this still useless for me then?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It might be possible that a similar method of downgrading back to iOS 5 is compiled. The method of downgrading back to iOS 5 using iOS 4 and 5 blobs is much of a fluke if you will. In a previous HitBSecConf, @MuscleNerd did say that downgrading methods in the future will be highly unlikely unless Apple is slacking, and that if they do release a method of downgrading, it would be patched fairly easily and not worth the trouble since it's all software-based rather than hardware-based (like the iPhone 4 and below, iPad 1 and iPod Touch 4th generation and below). It's always best to save them in case something crops up.

During the Rocky Raccoon exploit with Absinthe 2.0.4 and RedSn0w/Sn0wbreeze (eventually), many users were having problems because of incompatibility or bad packages during the iOS 6 era of late last year/earlier this year while they were on iOS 5.0.1/5.1.1. 4S users did not save their blobs or did not make sure that their blobs included proper APTickets as well, forcing many users to upgrade iOS 6, whereas if they had taken the time to save their iOS 5 blobs, they could've prevented an upgrade to iOS 6 which did not arrive for several months after the iOS release.

Most reactions