What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Restore your iPad using TinyUmbrella and SHSH Blobs

XERO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I went thru the trutorial and have shsh blobs saved, but when I try to restore to say 5.0, and I open iTunes, I can't find the recovery file I just saved to use to restore. Was there another step when I first saved the blob? I end up just rebooting teathered cuz I'm stuck. Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I went thru the trutorial and have shsh blobs saved, but when I try to restore to say 5.0, and I open iTunes, I can't find the recovery file I just saved to use to restore. Was there another step when I first saved the blob? I end up just rebooting teathered cuz I'm stuck. Thanks.

I'm a little confused by your question, but let me answer to what I think you're asking:

SHSH blobs and the firmware are two different things. You only save the SHSH blobs to use in running the steps for this tutorial. What you actually use iTunes for is to install the Apple firmware, the file ending in .ipsw. This file you can get from here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

So, you have blobs for a particular version and you've saved them per the the instructions in the first post of this thread. Once you get to the part of the tutorial titled "Restoring a previous firmware," the file f4780y is referring to is that IPSW file you downloaded from the link above. You don't use the SHSH file for anything (iTunes will use it to load the IPSW file).

I hope that is what you're asking - and that this clarifies it. If not, please try again to explain your question and maybe I'll get it that time! :D

Good luck.

Marilyn

Axxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI f4780y.

thanks for the step by step directions. I was able to restore ipad 2 to 4.3.3. no errors or anything. just pure fun having to be able to do all these with my pad.

couldnt thank you enough. love love love this forum.

mahar.1988

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello
i have a ipad 2 with 5.0.1 firmware and it is jailbroken and know i want to restoret to on the same firmware (5.0.1) but every time i do it i get the verifying an the preperin put after that i get the 1600 error and i have the SHSH's for 4.3.5 and 5.0.1 and 5.1.0 please help .

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mahar.1988 said:
hello
i have a ipad 2 with 5.0.1 firmware and it is jailbroken and know i want to restoret to on the same firmware (5.0.1) but every time i do it i get the verifying an the preperin put after that i get the 1600 error and i have the SHSH's for 4.3.5 and 5.0.1 and 5.1.0 please help .

Do you meet all the criteria in the first post? Do you have a wifi only iPad2?

kianhui55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi could someone please help me, I have tried all the following instructions but still have problems.

I am currently on an iPad 1, iOS 4.3.1 (jailbroken) and looking to update it to iOS 5.0.1. I have also the following SHSH iOS 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1 in Cydia right now.

This is what I did,

First I followed a previous guide from you about saving the blobs in TinyUmbrella by first ticking only "Save ALL Avaliable SHSH" and "Request SHSH from Cydia" then click Save SHSH. Then untick "Request SHSH from Cydia" and click Save SHSH. After that I Start TSS Server and left it in the background.

I then put my iPad into DFU mode after which iTunes will prompt me to restore my iPad. I then shift click restore and select the official iPad 5.0.1 IPSW firmware that I have downloaded from Apple.

After which, I get a error message about not being able to restore the device (1600). Am I doing anything wrong or am I using the wrong method to go about restoring it?

Please help me, thank you in advance!

kianhui55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I spent all day searching for a solution and this really helped me. Really appreciate it! Thanks.

ruher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Any Body please Tell Me How To fix this error :

Cannot Start TSS Service DO NOT TRY RESTORING YOUR DEVICE!!!
httpd.exe(PID:1928) must be killed!!

emanskie1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@TS

i happen to encounter the error 11 from my itunes while restoring my ipad 2. (current version: 5.0.1 (9A405))
anyone knows how restore this in another way? thanks

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
emanskie1 said:
@TS

i happen to encounter the error 11 from my itunes while restoring my ipad 2. (current version: 5.0.1 (9A405))
anyone knows how restore this in another way? thanks

You cannot restore 5.0.1 to an iPad2 as things stand today, regardless of whether you have saved blobs or not. It simply can't be done yet. You can only restore an iPad2 or iPad3 to 5.1.

emanskie1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot restore 5.0.1 to an iPad2 as things stand today, regardless of whether you have saved blobs or not. It simply can't be done yet. You can only restore an iPad2 or iPad3 to 5.1.

thanks for the quick reply kind sir.

so, you mean like from 5.0 to 5.1 restoration/upgrade? it can be done? if so, will try

again thanks.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
emanskie1 said:
thanks for the quick reply kind sir.

so, you mean like from 5.0 to 5.1 restoration/upgrade? it can be done? if so, will try

again thanks.

You can always restore the latest firmware. i.e. 5.1 today. You don't need TinyUmbrella or anything else to do that. Simply connect your device to iTunes and press restore. However (since this is the hacking / jailbreaking section) you won't be able to jailbreak your iPad2 on 5.1 so be warned!

Last edited:

emanskie1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can always restore the latest firmware. i.e. 5.1 today. You don't need TinyUmbrella or anything else to do that. Simply connect your device to iTunes and press restore. However (since this is the hacking / jailbreaking section) you won't be able to jailbreak your iPad2 on 5.1 so be warned!

oh the thing is, my device was jailbreaked using absinthewhateverthatis and its current version is 5.0.1. is it possible to downgrade/upgrade w/o using TU?

again thanks for the quick reply. (this community is awesome :D)

*edit: and yes, i dont want to jailbreak my ipad anymore :(

Most reactions

Latest posts