What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO - Downgrade your iPad1 or iPad2 to a 4.x firmware

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Do you have shsh blobs saved for 4.3.3 if not there is no way to downgrade.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

climo21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for bringing this thread back...Just wanted to say Thanks to the OP for this guide! I successfully downgraded my original ipad from 5.0 back to 4.2.1. IOS 5.0 kept on crashing due to low memory and made it unusable. Now I'm back on 4.2.1 with no crashes. Thanks again OP. :)

m0ss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't the blobs be faked?

So what is in the SHSH blobs? Why can't they be faked?

Gamebounty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, just registered. I'm interested in jail breaking my ipad 1 to keep it running smoothly and securley. iOS 5 has issues with the limited ram, so I'm thinking about downgrading to iOS 4. Only problem is that I've read that it means I'm more susceptible to SSL attacks. Are there security tweaks to help prevent this? Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There really is no tweak to protect yourself from any type of attack you mention; most of what you can do is user-generated. The biggest tip is, if you are on public networks, use HTTPS and VPN protected browsing and stay away from servers you don't trust or that seem "hinky." In addition, make sure your home WiFi is secure behind a password (with WPA encryption).

As a side note, I'm assuming you have SHSH blobs for the iOS 4 version you want to go to? Because no blobs = no downgrade...

Regardless, I hope this helps.

Marilyn

Gamebounty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks that does help. I guess I'll neeed to educate myself on protected browsing. Would you say iOS 4 is a lot worse than iOS 5 in terms of security, or are they roughly the same?

No blobs yet but I'll collect them when I'm ready to jailbreak. Thanks.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks that does help. I guess I'll neeed to educate myself on protected browsing. Would you say iOS 4 is a lot worse than iOS 5 in terms of security, or are they roughly the same?

No blobs yet but I'll collect them when I'm ready to jailbreak. Thanks.

You can't collect blobs whenever it suits, if you don't have those blobs now then you can't get them........ever, the window has closed, that's just the way it is. So if you don't have those blobs now, then as Marilyn says, you can't downgrade.

The Archangel

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks that does help. I guess I'll neeed to educate myself on protected browsing. Would you say iOS 4 is a lot worse than iOS 5 in terms of security, or are they roughly the same? No blobs yet but I'll collect them when I'm ready to jailbreak. Thanks.
Blobs have to be collected when an iOS version is still being signed by Apple. In the case of an iOS 4 version that would be back in 2011. If you don't already have those iOS 4 blobs, it's too late.

Most reactions

Latest posts