What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO - Downgrade your iPad1 or iPad2 to a 4.x firmware

castophere

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently running 4.2.1. The only IOS available for upgrading in iTunes is 4.3.5.
Is it possible to upgrade my jailbreak 4.2.1 to 4.3.3 without loosing my saved data

andrewhtf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are going to use TinyUmbrella as this is a simple and convenient method of enabling the downgrade. If you already have TU installed and your SHSH Blobs saved locally, skip straight to step 5. Otherwise your blobs must currently be saved on Cydia, in which case start at the beginning...

iPad Downgrade Process
1. Download TinyUmbrella from The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella for OSX or Windows, whichever is your chosen platform.
2. Connect your iPad to your PC and run the TinyUmbrella program.
3. Select your iPad under "Connected Devices" in the left hand pane.

4. Press the "Save SHSH" button on the top right of the interface.

Once completed, you should see a complete list of all your SHSH Blobs in the main panel. If the version of IOS you want to downgrade to is not in this list then you did not have SHSH Blobs saved as you expected and your downgrade journey is at an end, sorry. However, if the correct version is in the list we are good to go with the downgrade process.

I have a little bit of a problem here to proceed with step 2 and 3. My ipad1 is currently stuck in a loop showing the black screen with apple logo and a frozen progress bar at 40%. (result of my mistake in resetting an already JB'ed ipad.)

Plugged it in but TU doesnt detect it at all so i am unable to press "Save SHSH". I did not save my blobs locally prior to this due to procrastination. Further i have not paid attention to the list of saved blobs when in Cydia so i dont know what blobs i have in Saurik's server, but i'm sure there is at least one.

Is there any other way i can make TU to detect my device so i can get the blobs downloaded, before i proceed to restore the iOS? Will putting my ipad in DFU mode allows TU to detect it?

Or should i just proceed with itunes restore to 4.3.5 first, get the iOS up and running, only then attempt to get the blobs using TU as per the above guide?

astra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

andrewhtf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the great guide guys. managed to downgrade my ipad from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3.

there's some minor variation compared to the process outlined:

1. reactivation of the ipad failed - itunes freeze.
2. had to turn off TSS server & restart itunes.
3. didnt get any error 1015 or the likes. so i'm initially worried if the downgrade failed. . but luckily the ipad is activated after a restart of itunes.

next up, jailbreakme here i come!

hungryhippo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Hoping you might be able to help me out a bit. Here's my situation:

-I am on a mac
-My iPad is currently on iOS5 beta 7
-I have iTunes 10.5 beta 7 installed
-I do not care about jailbreaking, only downgrading to iOS4 (4.3.5 is the only option as I understand it, which is fine with me)

When I do the DFU->option+click restore method (to 4.3.5 ipsw), I receive a 1604 error partway through.

any advice to get past this hurdle would be most appreciated!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is relevant as it is a rule here. Okay?

"Please be aware we do not provide support if you have not followed developers guidelines for install of ios5 beta software.

Ios5 will be released to the public in the fall so please wait until then."

Most reactions