What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 beta version issues - Read before posting about locked iOS 4.2 restore

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh wow! Thats messed up. I just reduced my plan a day or so before I got the OS4.

I would not be happy. Wonder why they won't do it over the phone?

seandc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks...

I appreciate the info about apps that have known problems, and the fixes (e.g., disabling push for e-mail, etc.). And I agree with the person who said it's not a wise idea to download/install a beta when one (a non-developer) doesn't have the documentation.

That being said, I'm wondering if there is indeed a place where non-developers can at least get a list of info like the fixes described above?

FWIW, I assumed that an Apple iOS beta would be at least as stable as, say, Microsoft products that are in beta. It seems, however, that there's little backward compatibility built in to the beta iOS. Good example: my online banking app. Assuming that I'm not having the problem where my wifi connection seems to die, even though the iPad says it's alive and working, when I try to login, rather than having a box that says "User Name," I'm presented with something like #_user$name!_%_# (I'd tell you what it actually says, but today it won't load.) So, I made the assumption that the iOS 4.2 beta would be at least as stable as a MSFT beta or pre-release candidate version of software, in that documents or programs created in previous versions would be nearly fully functional. (Again, I realize this was a mistake -- perhaps an ignorant mistake -- on my part.)

If anyone has a workaround for the issue created by the loss of connectivity via WiFi (short of rebooting -- which I'm doing between 15 and 25 times a day), please let me know. It typically happens when the unit has been in powersave mode for a while, or when I connect to a new WiFi network after being on a different network for a while. It shows that WiFi is connected, but any apps that need Internet (mail, Safari, etc.) report that the unit is not connected to the Internet.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My comment with beta software is never assume. I have been BETA testing off and on since 1984 although the last 3 years I stopped. During that time the testing ranged from data base management through to operating systems mainly OSx I always used a second drive as the beta test drive so if some thing went wrong it would not matter I could wipe it and start all over again. As for Microsoft they are no different to any other developer yes they have had their problems and frankly gave up testing products like word etc as I suffered from communication issues with them

The issue with the iPad is you cant have a back up drive so the risk is yours to take. I have confidence in Apple from past experiences so I upgraded to 4.2 knowing I could not return.

Regarding wifi I have found it much more stable and also safari is faster browsing.

Other than a couple of third party apps causing crashes all is fine. It is interesting that some are having issues. I am on a wifi only iPad and that may be in part the answer.

Who knows no doubt the next beta will be out shortly and hopefully sort out the bugs that are mentioned.

For users whom do not understand beta software it is developers only and any person a developer has added to their list so relax and wait for the final release. By then all will be ok.

Cheers col down under

Last edited:

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Col., I totally understand Beta and took the risk anyway. I beta a lot for apps for Blackberry both developer apps and RIM apps. Also had done some other beta with MS apps. I realized I couldn't go back, I was duly warned. I'm good, the only thing is I have read (MikeToolz) where users have gone back to 3.2.2 to redo their subscription then reloaded 4.2 that was my only question is how? I did not save any shsh stuff like would have done had I ever jailbroke.

That said, the only real issues I have are (16g wifi/3g model):
forum tools menu window does not load in safari, fine with atomic
Cant access account (no choice to do s) for cell data
Mail is wiped out on comcast ids.. (loaded comcast app instead) yahoo and gmail are fine
3g to wifi and back again sometimes requires reset (especially when out on unfamiliar wifi) doesn't seem to be problem when going to home network.
Seems to need more reboots/resets than I usually do... usually once a week or so now 2x a day or so.

wifi definitely faster and doesn't drop once its going.
love folders
love task manager even though its not really backgrounding on most apps.
smooth interface.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Hey Col., I totally understand Beta and took the risk anyway. I beta a lot for apps for Blackberry both developer apps and RIM apps. Also had done some other beta with MS apps. I realized I couldn't go back, I was duly warned. I'm good, the only thing is I have read (MikeToolz) where users have gone back to 3.2.2 to redo their subscription then reloaded 4.2 that was my only question is how? I did not save any shsh stuff like would have done had I ever jailbroke.

That said, the only real issues I have are (16g wifi/3g model):
forum tools menu window does not load in safari, fine with atomic
Cant access account (no choice to do s) for cell data
Mail is wiped out on comcast ids.. (loaded comcast app instead) yahoo and gmail are fine
3g to wifi and back again sometimes requires reset (especially when out on unfamiliar wifi) doesn't seem to be problem when going to home network.
Seems to need more reboots/resets than I usually do... usually once a week or so now 2x a day or so.

wifi definitely faster and doesn't drop once its going.
love folders
love task manager even though its not really backgrounding on most apps.
smooth interface.

do a google search and download tiny umbrella

reboot your ipad into restore mode and then click restore in itunes, itunes will download and install 3.2.2

at the end of the restore itunes will give an error and say it didnt work. Your ipad will say connect to itunes as if it needs to be restored agian.

now open tiny umbrella and click the button that says Kick device out of restore mode. Your ipad will then come back to life with 3.2.2 installed.

nothing special has to be done other than loading tiny umbrella at the end to kick the ipad out of restore mode. you can restore 3.2.2 in itunes without having the shsh saved because its still the current public version and apple is still handing out the shsh blobs when the ipad asks durring a restore.

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think my iPad is having problems too! All day, for the first time in four months I can not access the Internet.:(

It states I'm not connected.

A very bad day for me out in the field. I turned it off and now in airplane mode.

In this mode, don't I use my 3G?

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I think my iPad is having problems too! All day, for the first time in four months I can no access the Internet.:(

It states I'm not connected.

A very bad day for me out in the field. I turned it off and now in airplane mode.

In this mode, don't I use my 3G?

I have had the same issues since about 6:00PM yesterday through today.

It will work fine for a while but then it will say not connected even though 3G is still at the top. I't has happened twice today, turning off data and turning data back on seems to bring it back.

ATT might be at fault as well, one of the times it dropped into Edge before cutting off.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And for the first time today, I also had a problem connecting to my own network! I went to the hospital to visit my aunt and was able to connect to their free WiFi service. But when I got home, I had to reboot my iPad in order to connect to my own network. I know it is probably coincidental, but it is weird that so many people are having connection problems on the same day.

Full Moon? Planets in alignment?? Shift of the earth's magnetic poles???

But seriously, I wonder if this has anything to do with Settings staying open?

Last edited:

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what I'm experiencing have to reboot to switch networks, most times.

@Marie, you needed to switch to airplane mode then back off airplane mode to try to reset your connection. You forgot the back off part!

seandc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, MikesTooLz

Appreciate the step-by-step on restoring with Tiny Umbrella. I'm a happy iPad user again...will leave the developing to the developers and wait patiently for a finished version of iOS 4.2 to come out.

SeanDC

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay.. I got it installed without the udid..

but how do I activate multitasking??:confused:

dont expect the kind of multitasking that you experience in your laptop or on your pc.

the "multitasking" it has, is just putting that app in an "open-state". after having the 4.2 we tend to just open every app in the ipad. this will eat up your battery life. To check which app are running. double tap the home button , a menu bar at the bottom appears showing all your running apps. a swipe with your finger from left to right. shows the brightness setting, ipod and the rotation lock.

Most reactions