What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to 4.2 beta without registered UDID

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
greetings all. moved up to 4.2b2 but want to downgrade back to 3.2.2 but having errors trying to restore. i'm getting the:

"There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad "iPad". The requested resource was not found."

can the problem be happening because this is a newer iPad that already came with 3.2.2, hence no 3.2.2 entry was ever created for:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates

so since the iPad thinks that the only software resource is now only 4.2 and so giving me the restore error.

could someone zip up their "iPad Software Updates" and attach it if you have it or can someone tell me where i can download it?

tia

You can download it from the apple website in the support downloads section. Just search their site. Then restore in iTunes with shift-restore (or option-restore on Mac) and select the downloaded firmware.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I really enjoy 4.2 and can't wait for the official release I have decided it's not worth losing Jailbreak, Air Video, Zinio and Netflix. So back to 3.2 I have gone... Oh well I will get everything back next month.

lagtastic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
worked like a charm. thanks so much!!

greetings all. moved up to 4.2b2 but want to downgrade back to 3.2.2 but having errors trying to restore. i'm getting the:

"There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad "iPad". The requested resource was not found."

can the problem be happening because this is a newer iPad that already came with 3.2.2, hence no 3.2.2 entry was ever created for:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates

so since the iPad thinks that the only software resource is now only 4.2 and so giving me the restore error.

could someone zip up their "iPad Software Updates" and attach it if you have it or can someone tell me where i can download it?

tia

You can download it from the apple website in the support downloads section. Just search their site. Then restore in iTunes with shift-restore (or option-restore on Mac) and select the downloaded firmware.

Panamera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just tried updating my iPod touch 2G to iOS 4.2 Beta 2 using Shift + Update in iTunes, and everything worked perfectly. Thanks for the info!!

- Robert

P.S. here's some screen pics of my iPod touch 2G running iOS 4.2 Beta 2:

mail-5.png

mail-3.png

Last edited:

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post on a thread here... Can someone please PM me and give me instructions on how to upgrade to 4.2 beta 2 with step by step instructions. Ive tried searching the web but no luck. Greatly appriciated!

limyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score

tia

Hi, went to the apple site to look for a link to download. but it said

"This update is available via iTunes" and I cant seem to locate another link for this?? is there one?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone try out the Beta 3 yet?

Yesterday i have try it , but go back in Beta 2 because lot of app’s don’t have the Airplay button witch i really need for our development testing , the beta 3 don’t have many change as frankly except the case of ‘’ picture ‘’ in Iworks i didn’t find any trouble

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got it on my iPad. Netflix doesn't work, even when I go into settings and hit reset. I'm loving the way backgrounding and folders works. When I was jailbroken Backgrounder wasn't consistent enough and 1/2 the time just closed the app out (and I'd have to start a big download over). Folders are way better on 4.2 compared to CatagoriesSB. But it works perfect the way Apple's set it up. Real fast. Certainly doesn't seem to slow things down a bit.
The one and only thing I miss is Activator. And I can easily live without that for now.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yesterday i have try it , but go back in Beta 2 because lot of app’s don’t have the Airplay button witch i really need for our development testing , the beta 3 don’t have many change as frankly except the case of ‘’ picture ‘’ in Iworks i didn’t find any trouble
Huh? Most every app that I had that didn't run, or run right, in beta 2 has run for me. Netflix comes to mind...

I say Beta 3 is a BIG improvement. Airplay, don't much need, or can wait on. Apps running at all? Need. ;)

Michael

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have seen Beta 2 and it did not have the Airplay icon anywhere.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Huh? Most every app that I had that didn't run, or run right, in beta 2 has run for me. Netflix comes to mind...

I say Beta 3 is a BIG improvement. Airplay, don't much need, or can wait on. Apps running at all? Need. ;)

Michael

The Beta 2 is really , working well is why i return in it , the folder the multitask and the game center + the function we need for our development is really enough for me … i think i will wait the final one as we are not so far .. no need to update one more time

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Beta 2 is really , working well is why i return in it , the folder the multitask and the game center + the function we need for our development is really enough for me … i think i will wait the final one as we are not so far .. no need to update one more time
I have trouble following your posts but good luck with it.

Everything I see tells me beta 3 is much improved, as I would expect it to be. I haven't run into an app that won't run, whereas it happened all the time on beta 2.

Michael

kevipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that beta 3 works without a registered udid? Is it the same installing procedure on win7 64bit itunes 10.0? I'm currently running 3.2.2... And yes I'm aware of the bugs/problems/downgrade issues that may come with the usage of a beta version.

Thank you all and excuse my poor English, my mother language is French (from Canada) :)

Most reactions

Latest posts