What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 beta version issues - Read before posting about locked iOS 4.2 restore

flummie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As has been mentioned many times already. Download blackra1n here: blackweather

Plug iPad in turn on iTunes. Click make it rain. Your iPad will go into restore mode. Close blackra1n. Click restore. It will tell you 3.2.2 is available. Restore. If it gets stuck at the end of the restore run blackra1n again and make it rain to unlock it. Again kill blackra1n after running it. (you aren't using it to jailbreak.).

Once you are back to 3.2.2 you will have to activate again, best to just restore your profile now.

Once you are back to everything working how you want it and everything is on your iPad opt-click (for mac, shift click for windows) the check for updates button. It will bring up the selection dialog. Select the 4.2 beta 2 restore. It will update if it gets stuck again use blackra1n to resume update. When it comes back you will be in 4.2 with everything intact.

when i start blackrain i get a message: asl.dll is missing.. im on win7.. can some1 help?

cheers..

Blackra1n EXE file needs to be in the same folder with asl.dll.

Go into Program Files/Common Files and then look for it in the Apple Support folder.

You have to launch it from in that folder.

ok.. ill try that.. will report back.. cheers..

flummie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i start blackrain i get a message: asl.dll is missing.. im on win7.. can some1 help?

cheers..

Blackra1n EXE file needs to be in the same folder with asl.dll.

Go into Program Files/Common Files and then look for it in the Apple Support folder.

You have to launch it from in that folder.

mmm blackrain doesnt get me out of recovery.. it does nothing.. how frustrating.. man...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

flummie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

mmm blackrain doesnt get me out of recovery.. it does nothing.. how frustrating.. man...

Never used it on windows....could be the problem.

yep could be the problem.. well.. i think i didnt mention that i was trying to go to 3.2.1.. also tried 3.2.. because of the jailbreak possibility.. doent work.. just tried 3.2.2 and that worked.. maybe apple is blocking the older versions??

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Helppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i updated my ipad to 4.2 and realized you have to be a developer to actually run it. my ipad has 4.2 on it but it just shows the connect to itunes screen. i cant downgrade it either because im not a developer! Someone register it for me or show a way out!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

yep could be the problem.. well.. i think i didnt mention that i was trying to go to 3.2.1.. also tried 3.2.. because of the jailbreak possibility.. doent work.. just tried 3.2.2 and that worked.. maybe apple is blocking the older versions??

Could've told you that...lol

flummie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

my SHSH files r on the Cydiaserver so i thought it would work.. but nothing does.. not even the procedure they promote.. :(

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

my SHSH files r on the Cydiaserver so i thought it would work.. but nothing does.. not even the procedure they promote.. :(

You need iTunes 9 and firmware umbrella to downgrade. I thought you wanted 4.2....if so I laid out the instructions. If you stop improvising and follow what I said you will get where you were going.

flummie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You need iTunes 9 and firmware umbrella to downgrade. I thought you wanted 4.2....if so I laid out the instructions. If you stop improvising and follow what I said you will get where you were going.

thats what u get when uve been flashing for a lot of years.. u stop listening.. and thinking :)) i needed this lesson.. thx will try that in the morning..

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I am going to have to edit Cydia out of my HOSTS in order to ''upgrade'' to 4.2?

I finally remembered that the file pointed to Cydia hours after failing on 4.2.

The good news is that my iPad 3G is fully functional again, even if it is on 3.2.2.

Maybe I'll get my courage up, edit hosts and try again.

-via iPad

flummie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I am going to have to edit Cydia out of my HOSTS in order to ''upgrade'' to 4.2?

I finally remembered that the file pointed to Cydia hours after failing on 4.2.

The good news is that my iPad 3G is fully functional again, even if it is on 3.2.2.

Maybe I'll get my courage up, edit hosts and try again.

-via iPad

good to hear, m8! Glad to report im also out and problem fix :)
im going to try and downgrade to 3.2.1 now..

Last edited by a moderator:

flummie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

hi Gentlefury,

Ive downed itunes 9 and umbrella..
i presume that i have to deinstall itunes 10 1st before installing 9? will i keep my data?

young blade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
first of all Calm down and look at atached picture...

everyone can update without udid... did it my self yesterday..

just download the beta, go to itunes and hit shift + update at the same time..

I repeat shift + update... not shift + restore!!

if you accidently hit shift + restore you'll have to restore back to a lower version 3.2.2 or lower.. when you do that youl get an error "1015"

dont worry... use tiny umbrella and have it to kick the ipad out of this mode..

after reboot..

retry with shift + update...

Attachments

• 1168834-calm_down_bro_super.jpg
    1168834-calm_down_bro_super.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts