What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 beta version issues - Read before posting about locked iOS 4.2 restore

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems every one wants to be on the wild side frankly I don't recommend it unless you are attached to a developer please remember it's beta that means PRE RELEASE. It's your call if you loose data or something does not work don't come complaining ok I have upgraded however I understand the options and this is not critical data on my iPad That is the point.
Cheers col.Bris

Last edited:

1zacster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I make a new thread, not trying to troll but can't figure it out?

cmstuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It may be possible to have both iTunes 9 and 10 but you would have to do some plist editing. I have safari 3,4 and 5 on my mbp. Early versions on safari 4 killed my computer, so I put 3 back on and kept on updating 4. It may be possible to do the same for iTunes, although I don't have a current need to so I havent tried. Be sure to backup your files and playlists if you go the delete then reinstall route!

Last edited:

john reilly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
please heeeelllllllllllpppppppppppp

hi, i just got myself an i pad, all was ok loaded i tunes got it up and running
entered my password all was still ok, i switched it off last night and when i
tried to put it on this morn it came back to load i tunes again, when i try this on the laptop it tells me pad is locked with a code but no window is coming up
so i can enter the lock code it totally useless at the moment , can anyone help
rgds john

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like your only option is to do a hard reset and kick it into recovery mode. Plug it into your computer, then hold down the sleep and home buttons until you see the apple logo. Then ONLY RESEASE THE SLEEP BUTON! Keep holding the home button for awhile until iTunes says it's found an iPad in recovery mode. Then reinstall the os. It takes awhile for iTunes to recognize it so keep the home button down until it says that.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think he should try a regular reset first. Just hold power and slide to power down...or better yets, hold power and home until slide screen come and goes and an apple appears. Then let go both.. And restart

emrebayiksel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Col., I totally understand Beta and took the risk anyway. I beta a lot for apps for Blackberry both developer apps and RIM apps. Also had done some other beta with MS apps. I realized I couldn't go back, I was duly warned. I'm good, the only thing is I have read (MikeToolz) where users have gone back to 3.2.2 to redo their subscription then reloaded 4.2 that was my only question is how? I did not save any shsh stuff like would have done had I ever jailbroke.

That said, the only real issues I have are (16g wifi/3g model):
forum tools menu window does not load in safari, fine with atomic
Cant access account (no choice to do s) for cell data
Mail is wiped out on comcast ids.. (loaded comcast app instead) yahoo and gmail are fine
3g to wifi and back again sometimes requires reset (especially when out on unfamiliar wifi) doesn't seem to be problem when going to home network.
Seems to need more reboots/resets than I usually do... usually once a week or so now 2x a day or so.

wifi definitely faster and doesn't drop once its going.
love folders
love task manager even though its not really backgrounding on most apps.
smooth interface.

do a google search and download tiny umbrella

reboot your ipad into restore mode and then click restore in itunes, itunes will download and install 3.2.2

at the end of the restore itunes will give an error and say it didnt work. Your ipad will say connect to itunes as if it needs to be restored agian.

now open tiny umbrella and click the button that says Kick device out of restore mode. Your ipad will then come back to life with 3.2.2 installed.

nothing special has to be done other than loading tiny umbrella at the end to kick the ipad out of restore mode. you can restore 3.2.2 in itunes without having the shsh saved because its still the current public version and apple is still handing out the shsh blobs when the ipad asks durring a restore.
Hi,

Thanks for this. My problem is I don't even see the restore button. As soon as I connect my iPad with 4.2 Beta 2 (and no I don't have a Apple Developer Registration) I get the "We're unable to complete your activation. This device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Program."

I seem to be stuck here. I have the ipsw for 3.2.2 but I can't see how I can restore without seeing the iPad connected kind of screen...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... iPad is a gift from my wife and she started asking questions. :))

Cheers

Emre

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to get into dfu mode where it shows a USB plug on your iPad screen. Look it up, directions are everywhere.

RTomStudios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, and dont know if anyone else noticed but, my ipad is now charging via USB to the PC when it wouldnt before 4.2 :)

I think Apple just changed their minimal voltage requirements before the message pops up or removed it altogether :p

Just a guess but I think the IPad is still probably not able to charge fully when it is on.

Incidentally, I bought a Y cable hoping that this will alleviate the "not charging" message, but unfortunately it doesn't. I even tried plugging in the adapter on the Y end and the "not charging" message still appears.

we need a 3.1 gigawatt power source...

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though it says, "Not Charging", it should say, "Charging, but not really fast!"

The thing to remember is that if you leave your iPad connected to your computer, make sure that it does not go to "sleep" because it will stop charging if this happens!

Ridgeline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Col., I totally understand Beta and took the risk anyway. I beta a lot for apps for Blackberry both developer apps and RIM apps. Also had done some other beta with MS apps. I realized I couldn't go back, I was duly warned. I'm good, the only thing is I have read (MikeToolz) where users have gone back to 3.2.2 to redo their subscription then reloaded 4.2 that was my only question is how? I did not save any shsh stuff like would have done had I ever jailbroke.

That said, the only real issues I have are (16g wifi/3g model):
forum tools menu window does not load in safari, fine with atomic
Cant access account (no choice to do s) for cell data
Mail is wiped out on comcast ids.. (loaded comcast app instead) yahoo and gmail are fine
3g to wifi and back again sometimes requires reset (especially when out on unfamiliar wifi) doesn't seem to be problem when going to home network.
Seems to need more reboots/resets than I usually do... usually once a week or so now 2x a day or so.

wifi definitely faster and doesn't drop once its going.
love folders
love task manager even though its not really backgrounding on most apps.
smooth interface.

do a google search and download tiny umbrella

reboot your ipad into restore mode and then click restore in itunes, itunes will download and install 3.2.2

at the end of the restore itunes will give an error and say it didnt work. Your ipad will say connect to itunes as if it needs to be restored agian.

now open tiny umbrella and click the button that says Kick device out of restore mode. Your ipad will then come back to life with 3.2.2 installed.

nothing special has to be done other than loading tiny umbrella at the end to kick the ipad out of restore mode. you can restore 3.2.2 in itunes without having the shsh saved because its still the current public version and apple is still handing out the shsh blobs when the ipad asks durring a restore.
Hi,

Thanks for this. My problem is I don't even see the restore button. As soon as I connect my iPad with 4.2 Beta 2 (and no I don't have a Apple Developer Registration) I get the "We're unable to complete your activation. This device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Program."

I seem to be stuck here. I have the ipsw for 3.2.2 but I can't see how I can restore without seeing the iPad connected kind of screen...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... iPad is a gift from my wife and she started asking questions. :))

Cheers

Emre

Okay do the following open iTunes without your iPad plugged in. Make sure the iPad is off and simply hold the home button and plug the iPad in continue holding the home button until the iTunes logo and cable show on the screen. You should get a pop up shortly that says iTunes has detected a iPad in recovery mode. Click ok and then you should see the restore button. If this does not work you will have to put it into dfu mode. But try this first.

Most reactions

Latest posts