What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 beta version issues - Read before posting about locked iOS 4.2 restore

flummie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dumbass asking help

Hi all,

We found m: a dumbass that upgraded to beta 2 without being a beta tester or dev.. and yes: its me! :((

after upgrading i get the message when logging on to itunes that my ipad is not registered.. I dont get a possibility to downgrade because the restore option is not there..

Can any1 help? i would love to solve this without forking over 99 hardearned dollars to apple..

cheers, flummie

djricekcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

We found m: a dumbass that upgraded to beta 2 without being a beta tester or dev.. and yes: its me! :((

after upgrading i get the message when logging on to itunes that my ipad is not registered.. I dont get a possibility to downgrade because the restore option is not there..

Can any1 help? i would love to solve this without forking over 99 hardearned dollars to apple..

cheers, flummie

Turn off ipad
hold down power + home button for 10 seconds, then let go of power button
if youre on windows, it should recognize it as a usb device and itunes will say there's a a i-device plugged in but your ipad will boot up with a blank screen
restore through itunes

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

cheers, flummie

Thats because you didn't update you restored.....update works.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay.. I got it installed without the udid..

but how do I activate multitasking??:confused:

dont expect the kind of multitasking that you experience in your laptop or on your pc.

the "multitasking" it has, is just putting that app in an "open-state". after having the 4.2 we tend to just open every app in the ipad. this will eat up your battery life. To check which app are running. double tap the home button , a menu bar at the bottom appears showing all your running apps. a swipe with your finger from left to right. shows the brightness setting, ipod and the rotation lock.

It will have no effect whatsoever on battery life! None of those apps continue to run in the background (with the exception of music apps like pandora) they simple save a state identifier file that tells the OS where you left off. When you relaunch the app it uses that state save to go back to where you left off (depending on how well it was programmed in the app it could be exactly where you left off or approximately or not at all).

The worst that would happen to resources is losing a few KB of data storage since it needs to save these incredibly small state files.

Think of it like an NES emulator for apps.

flummie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

cheers, flummie

to beta 2"??

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

cheers, flummie

to beta 2"??

Yes, I'm using it right now.

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

cheers, flummie

Okay...well...now that at least two of us have "restored" and got stuck, how do we fix this? :)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

cheers, flummie

Okay...well...now that at least two of us have "restored" and got stuck, how do we fix this? :)

As has been mentioned many times already. Download blackra1n here: blackweather

Plug iPad in turn on iTunes. Click make it rain. Your iPad will go into restore mode. Close blackra1n. Click restore. It will tell you 3.2.2 is available. Restore. If it gets stuck at the end of the restore run blackra1n again and make it rain to unlock it. Again kill blackra1n after running it. (you aren't using it to jailbreak.).

Once you are back to 3.2.2 you will have to activate again, best to just restore your profile now.

Once you are back to everything working how you want it and everything is on your iPad opt-click (for mac, shift click for windows) the check for updates button. It will bring up the selection dialog. Select the 4.2 beta 2 restore. It will update if it gets stuck again use blackra1n to resume update. When it comes back you will be in 4.2 with everything intact.

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must be missing something. :-(

I am sorry to be dumb, and I appreciate the personal attention, but it is still not working.

At the end of the restore process, I get a popup saying it could not be restored because of an unknown error.

Blackra1n will not bring it out of DFU mode where it apepars to be stuck after the attempt to restore to 3.2.2.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well ive done it a few times and it worked fine...sorry, that's all I got.

Are you using the latest iTunes?

flummie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Plug iPad in turn on iTunes. Click make it rain. Your iPad will go into restore mode. Close blackra1n. Click restore. It will tell you 3.2.2 is available. Restore. If it gets stuck at the end of the restore run blackra1n again and make it rain to unlock it. Again kill blackra1n after running it. (you aren't using it to jailbreak.).

Once you are back to 3.2.2 you will have to activate again, best to just restore your profile now.

Once you are back to everything working how you want it and everything is on your iPad opt-click (for mac, shift click for windows) the check for updates button. It will bring up the selection dialog. Select the 4.2 beta 2 restore. It will update if it gets stuck again use blackra1n to resume update. When it comes back you will be in 4.2 with everything intact.

when i start blackrain i get a message: asl.dll is missing.. im on win7.. can some1 help?

cheers..

flummie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

maybe thats the problem? im on the latest version.. 10.0.1.. do i have to downgrade itunes to install 3.2.1??

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, the answer appeared to be to remove the iPad and turn it off.

When I turned it on again, there was a status bar like it was finishing an upgrade or restore process, and then it booted up with 3.2.2.

No 3G working yet, but device itself seems okay and WiFi working.

Maybe 3G will come back soon.

Thank you for your patience.

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score

when i start blackrain i get a message: asl.dll is missing.. im on win7.. can some1 help?

cheers..

Blackra1n EXE file needs to be in the same folder with asl.dll.

Go into Program Files/Common Files and then look for it in the Apple Support folder.

You have to launch it from in that folder.

flummie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, the answer appeared to be to remove the iPad and turn it off.

When I turned it on again, there was a status bar like it was finishing an upgrade or restore process, and then it booted up with 3.2.2.

No 3G working yet, but device itself seems okay and WiFi working.

Maybe 3G will come back soon.

Thank you for your patience.

do u mean just after the itunesmessage at the end of the install of the firmware?

Most reactions

Latest posts