What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7: JailBreak Status Thread (Official)

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh no, does that mean I will have to go through the whole backup, dfu, jailbreak, restore etc? Is there a way to just run 1.07 without going through the whole rigamarole?

Update: @Evad3rs have updated and release Evasi0n 1.0.7 to address the Cydia-based issues that required that users re-run the jailbreak up to the "tap on the Evasi0n app" step.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no, does that mean I will have to go through the whole backup, dfu, jailbreak, restore etc? Is there a way to just run 1.07 without going through the whole rigamarole?

No, you do not have to re-run the jail break tool (version 1.0.7) if you have no trouble seeing/loading packages in Cydia.

As a test for yourself if you jail broke using evasi0n7 version 1.0.6 - go to Cydia and search for the tweak "SSLPatch." If it shows up in the Search field, it means the package was successfully loaded when it got released/updated. Therefore, your jail break is fine and you don't have to re-do it.

This new version is just for the ones having issues while jail breaking.

Marilyn

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying to upgrade to 7.06 on my JB iPad2. I connected to iTunes, got indo DFU mode (I think, screen is black, but how do you know you're in DFU mode for sure), now the screen is black, by iPad is there in iTunes (but is it there in DFU mode or just there b/c it was there before I tried dfu mode), but there doesn't seem to be a way to upgrade. What am I doing wrong?
thanks

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying to upgrade to 7.06 on my JB iPad2. I connected to iTunes, got indo DFU mode (I think, screen is black, but how do you know you're in DFU mode for sure), now the screen is black, by iPad is there in iTunes (but is it there in DFU mode or just there b/c it was there before I tried dfu mode), but there doesn't seem to be a way to upgrade. What am I doing wrong?
thanks

iTunes will recognize the device in Recovery Mode even though it's on a black screen without the "Connect to iTunes" screen present. Or, you can tap the home or power/sleep button and see if your device's screen "turns on". When in DFU mode, you need to long press the buttons to get a reaction, so if you just press/tap it once, it will not mess with the state of the device.

Once iTunes recognizes your device in Recovery Mode and your screen is black, click on the Restore button. If you already have the 7.0.6 IPSW downloaded, hold Shift (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) and click on the Restore button, then point it to the pre-downloaded 7.0.6 and iTunes will install it. If you haven't downloaded it, you can just press Restore and iTunes will download and install it.

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes will recognize the device in Recovery Mode even though it's on a black screen without the "Connect to iTunes" screen present. Or, you can tap the home or power/sleep button and see if your device's screen "turns on". When in DFU mode, you need to long press the buttons to get a reaction, so if you just press/tap it once, it will not mess with the state of the device.

Once iTunes recognizes your device in Recovery Mode and your screen is black, click on the Restore button. If you already have the 7.0.6 IPSW downloaded, hold Shift (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) and click on the Restore button, then point it to the pre-downloaded 7.0.6 and iTunes will install it. If you haven't downloaded it, you can just press Restore and iTunes will download and install it.

Once again, Thanks, I got it. The only problem that I can't seem to figure out is a backup issue. Before I did the new JB to iOS 7.06, I made a back up this morning. After JB-ing I can't find that update.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once again, Thanks, I got it. The only problem that I can't seem to figure out is a backup issue. Before I did the new JB to iOS 7.06, I made a back up this morning. After JB-ing I can't find that update.

Did you manually backup the device or did you rely on the brief "backup" that comes when you first plug your device in or the stage prior to it beginning to sync.

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you manually backup the device or did you rely on the brief "backup" that comes when you first plug your device in or the stage prior to it beginning to sync.

No, I manually backed it up. Not a problem, I was able to get back everything I had. But the question remains unresolved for me. Because, let's say you're about to do a new JB, so you backup the device at say 1:15 pm. Then you do your update at lets say 1:20 pm, before the JB. Doesn't iTunes update the iOS and then back it up right then and there? So when you go back to iTunes after the JB the only backup there (or at least the only one I saw) was the backup at 1:20 pm!

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, I manually backed it up. Not a problem, I was able to get back everything I had. But the question remains unresolved for me. Because, let's say you're about to do a new JB, so you backup the device at say 1:15 pm. Then you do your update at lets say 1:20 pm, before the JB. Doesn't iTunes update the iOS and then back it up right then and there? So when you go back to iTunes after the JB the only backup there (or at least the only one I saw) was the backup at 1:20 pm!

I had the same experience. The time shown for the available backup was the later one that was done as part of the update. I used it, and it was indeed the full backup I had done prior to the upgrade. Had me confused, but relieved, that all my info was restored.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

From my experience, when iTunes makes the backup just before a restore, it does not erase the one you manually created. When I've restored, I get prompted to use the newer backup, but since I've noted the time of the backup I made, I tell iTunes to use the "older" backup.

I know, one anecdote is not data, but this has happened every time I've restored using a backup.

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had the same experience as Mickey330. Whenever I've restored from a backup, I'm shown a list of all previous backups and have the ability to choose whichever one I want to use.

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my experience, when iTunes makes the backup just before a restore, it does not erase the one you manually created. When I've restored, I get prompted to use the newer backup, but since I've noted the time of the backup I made, I tell iTunes to use the "older" backup.

I know, one anecdote is not data, but this has happened every time I've restored using a backup.

Marilyn

Thanks, and I did see that list of prior back-ups, but for some reason, I couldn't identify the one I had just made prior to the update. There was only 1 backup on that list that was made on that day and the time wasn't right. Maybe I just didn't recognize it, but the time was all wrong. Next time I'll be more careful about creating the backup at a time significantly different from the time I do the update.
One more question for me; & I'm not sure if this is the correct thread where I first saw this raised, but here goes: I did the password change via the mobile terminal as you all suggested before my update to 7.06. Is that password change I made still in effect or was it resent back to default with the update? and
Now that the security flaw has been fixed, is it still necessary to change the password?
thanks

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One more question for me; & I'm not sure if this is the correct thread where I first saw this raised, but here goes: I did the password change via the mobile terminal as you all suggested before my update to 7.06. Is that password change I made still in effect or was it resent back to default with the update? and
Now that the security flaw has been fixed, is it still necessary to change the password?
thanks

If your talking about changing the default password from "alpine" - yes, by all means, change it. Especially (if?), you install OpenSSH.

And, you will have to re-change the password every time you upgrade, restore or put a "fresh" version of iOS on the iPad. It will be the default every time until you change it.

Marilyn

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If your talking about changing the default password from "alpine" - yes, by all means, change it. Especially (if?), you install OpenSSH. And, you will have to re-change the password every time you upgrade, restore or put a "fresh" version of iOS on the iPad. It will be the default every time until you change it. Marilyn
marilyn,
Thank you will change password , had no idea.

Sent from my IPad using IPF. GC wenchwhino HD level 62

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive just tried to restore my ipad 3 backup onto my JB 7.0.6 ipad mini. However my cydia icon has disappeared after that! What should i do?

Most reactions

Latest posts