What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8.x Jailbreak Status

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
EDIT: Updates to this post are below. Please scroll down...

Well, this went faster than I thought it would!

The PanGu jailbreak team has just announced they have a jailbreak for iOS 8 - 8.1.

BUT!

The jailbreak tool does not load Cydia, yet (which is where all your tweaks and themes reside). The owner of Cydia, saurik, is working to make Cydia compatible with the new jailbreak.

The tool itself was released specifically for saurik and other jailbreak developers to give them an opportunity to work on compatibility with their tweaks/Cydia.

PanGu has pulled the tool (which only worked on Windows ... for some), so it's not available [anymore].

As this is useless to the average user (as it doesn't install Cydia), all we can do is wait. No one knows when the tool will be available, so we'll have to exercise some patience (and yes, I'm talking to myself... :) ).

Oh, and this jailbreak tool is supposedly supposed to work with all devices capable of running iOS 8 - 8.1, so that's pretty cool.

More updates will be posted when we know them. For now, our job is to wait...

I know, I know, lots of caveats and we can't do anything with this news yet. But hey! There's a jailbreak for iOS 8!!

Whoo hoo! :)

UPDATE (31 Oct 2014):
The PanGu jailbreak team has released version 1.1 of their jailbreak tool. This version is in English, installs Cydia and runs on Windows (Mac version is coming...). This works on all devices running iOS 8.0.1 to 8.1. Here is the link to their web site so you can download their tool: http://en.pangu.io

A lot of developers had the opportunity to update their tweaks. But, as with any new jailbreak, many tweaks are not yet compatible with iOS 8.x. Please see this spreadsheet to check for your favorites (it is updated regularly): https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid=z1v909ff833ece6824400b4d4095ac3a277ac&mode=html

UPDATE (6 Nov 2014):
The newest version of the PanGu jailbreak tool is now version 1.2.1. This version includes all the fixes integrated in version 1.2. So now, the change log reads:

Version 1.2
- Fix the issue that launchd may drain cpu on 32bit devices
- Fix Safari reloading bug and occasional crash problem
- Optimize jailbreak process
- Restore function now supports iPad Air2/iPad Mini3

Version 1.2.1
- Integrate with Cydia 1.1.16 (Cydia fixed boot issue when using "Restore from Backup" feature)

Note that if you've already jailbroken on previous versions of PanGu, you do not have to re-jailbreak again to take advantage of these changes/updates (you'll get them when you visit Cydia and download changes from Cydia).

To jailbreak a previously stock iPad, use the newest jailbreak tool, which is version 1.2.1

UPDATE (9 Nov 2014):
Hurray! A version of the PanGu jailbreak tool has been released to work on the Mac. It's version 1.0 and can be found at the PanGu website (link above).

UPDATE (19 Nov 2014):
Well, as we expected, Apple has released iOS 8.1.1 which DOES "fix" the ability for PanGu's jailbreak tool to well, jailbreak your device. As of this writing, Apple is still signing iOS 8.1, but that won't last for long. So, upgrade to iOS 8.1 now if you want to jailbreak.

For those of you who ARE jailbroken on iOS 8.1, you know there may still be some tweaks that are not updated for iOS 8. And, when iOS 8 is closed by Apple, it may be a risk to install tweaks that may not be updated to work with your device. So, please, do your due diligence and research to see if a tweak is good to run on iOS 8 devices.

A member of this forum, willerz2, has posted about a member of the jailbreaking community (GiantSpeck) who has created a nice spreadsheet to keep track of tweaks and whether they are compatible with iOS 8.0. He has also created a Google Docs version. Here are the links to those two documents:

Excel

Google Docs

*Please see willerz2's post in this thread (#84) if you want more details on these two products. Oh, and may I suggest you bookmark them so you can go back and easily check for updates. :)

UPDATE (5 December 2014):
Well, I AM a bit behind on these updates. Because - there now IS a jailbreak tool for iOS 8.1.1 (and it just got updated today)! The jailbreak tool is by TaiG and can be accessed here: https://mega.co.nz/#!Rt4ERYpQ!s7Ee-5UaK4UMFfRfOhgAYJZppfnnVJIdhN3L-_H_RSo

This jailbreak tool jailbreaks iOS 8.0 - 8.1.1

I STRONGLY suggest you UNcheck the second box when the tool is first loaded (before you begin the jailbreak). This box purports to load a "3K Assistant" which is the TaiG app store and which contains a piracy tool (among other things). If you just check the first box, the tool will install Cydia only - which is all you need.

This version (1.2) is in English and today's update sorts out some sandboxing issues. If you haven't waited for me to update this thread and already have jailbroken your device with the TaiG jailbreaking tool, may I recommend you add this repo to your Cydia source list:

http://apt.taig.com

Once you add this repo, you will be able to download the update for the sandbox issue - so you will not have to restore and re-jailbreak your device to take advantage of this update.

Please see this thread for a tutorial on using the TaiG jailbreak tool: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/how-to-jailbreak-ios-8-x-using-taig.125390/

Unfortunately, as of this writing, the TaiG tool is only able to run on Windows PCs for now.

UPDATE (9 Dec 2014):
Apple has just released iOS 8.1.2 to fix issues with ringtone downloads (among others). As of this writing, this iOS version is not jailbreakable. However, also as of right now, iOS 8.1.1 is still being signed.

The two jailbreak teams, PanGu and TaiG may create a jailbreak for this new iOS, but there is no guarantee.

So, if you have any intention of upgrading to iOS 8.1.1 so you can jailbreak your iPad, I suggest you do so now.

UPDATE (10 Dec 2014):
Well, that was quick! :) TaiG has updated their tool and it now is able to jailbreak iOS 8.1.2. It is still listed as version 1.2.0, but it does the job. It's still at the same link from above.

If you're not on iOS 8.x, my recommendation is to upgrade to the newest iOS 8.1.2 and jailbreak there. As of right now, iOS 8.1.1 is still being signed, so you can still use it. It's jus that you won't be on the newest iOS...

If you are already on iOS 8.1.1 and have jailbroken with TaiG well, then, it's a decision you'll have to make - start all over with iOS 8.1.2 or stay where you're at. My recommendation there is to wait a bit to make sure your tweaks and such will continue to work on iOS 8.1.2.

UPDATE (27 January 2015):
Came to share the news and see that willerz2 has beaten me to it - iOS 8.1.3 has been released. As of this writing, it it NOT jailbreakable; it breaks the TaiG jailbreak tool. If you have not upgraded to iOS 8.1.2, the window is rapidly closing for you to do so. Soon iOS 8.1.3 will be the only iOS version you can update to and again, it's not jailbreakable.

And, my apologies for not keeping this as up-to-date as I should - a jailbreak tool to jailbreak iOS 8 - 8.1.2 natively on a Mac is available and can be accessed here: http://www.iphonehacks.com/download-pp-jailbreak. Do note that this tool for the Mac does not work on iOS 8.1.3, either.

Please keep in mind that this jailbreak tool comes with the suspect second box already checked. Again,
I strongly suggest you UNcheck the second box when the tool is first loaded (before you begin the jailbreak). This box purports to load a piracy tool (among other things). If you just check the first box, the tool will install Cydia only - which is all you need.

UPDATE (10 February 2015)
Well, that's it, folks. Apple has stopped signing iOS 8.1.2. So, be careful of those jailbreaks cause, if you have to restore your iPad, you will have to go to iOS 8.1.3, which is not jailbreakable.

Again, iOS 8.1.3 is now the only firmware that can be installed on an iDevice. And, it's not jailbreakable. So, protect those jailbreaks!

UPDATE (26 June 2015)
Hurray! TaiG has released a jailbreak for iOS 8.1 - 8.3! If you update to iOS 8.3, you can now jailbreak that version. Just be sure to use the TaiG jailbreak tool version 2.1.2. That is the most current version and is the one that works with Cydia Substrate (and thus allows tweaks to work).

Speaking of tweaks: remember that, as is the case with all new jailbreaks, most tweaks have to be reviewed and updated by the developers to ensure they'll run properly on iOS 8.3. So, we'll need to have patience while tweaks get updated.

UPDATE (30 June 2015)
Well, that was fast! Apple released iOS 8.4 today and TaiG has released a jailbreak tool that will allow us to jailbreak that iOS. So, there is now a jailbreak tool to jailbreak iOS 8.1.3 to iOS 8.4. It is TaiG jailbreak tool version 2.2.0 and is available on TaiG's website. Unfortunately, it's still a Windows only tool (though it will work with virtual Windows on a Mac).

Same caveats apply as before: not all tweaks have been updated to run on iOS 8.4, so we'll have to have a bit of patience while we wait for our favorite tweaks to get updated.

UPDATE (13 August 2015)
Well, we k ew this would come. Apple has update and released iOS 8.4.1 and it is NOT jailbreakable (at this time). Right now, you can still upgrade to iOS 8.4 and jailbreak it, but that window is closing fast. So - if you want to update to iOS 8.4 to be on the most current and jailbreakable iOS, may I suggest you go now.

To recap: iOS 8.4.1 has been released and is not jailbreakable. If you are on the fence about upgrading to iOS 8.4 - do it now before Apple closes the update window. Good luck on your decision(s).

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When the tool becomes available again (as it's temporarily disabled at this moment), like Pangu7, Pangu8 is sponsored once again by one of our friendly neighborhood piracy companies, and remember to untick the installation of the piracy store as it utilizes bad certificates, installs packages that are proven to be malicious or security flaws for your device, etc. As usual, users that are jailbroken at the moment are advised to stay on your current jailbreak until Pangu8 has reached maturity as well as iOS 8 packages.

Last edited:

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks like Saurik has an updated Cydia ready, currently only available as a .deb file for those of you who know your way around the file system (not me) but we are definitely getting closer. Damn that was fast.

Tom

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is now a video floating around with detailed instructions on how to jailbreak your device using V. 1.0.1 of the new PanGu. Still not for the faint of heart as far as I'm concerned.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There's at most a dozen contemporary tweaks that are somewhat compatible with iOS 8. Everything is built off substrate. Unless you're used to doing everything via SSH/Terminal, there's no point in jailbreaking at the moment unless you just want it jailbroken now so you can update substrate through Cydia when it's updated.

Zergslayer69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Outstanding news. Rather see partial progress that's moving than scene politics where everybody is trying to stay in the spotlight in turn resulting in months of delay. Either that or a lot of preparation was done this time.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A new substrate update is available on Cydia to facilitate the new PanGu. Saurik has included a few caveats along with the update. Closer still.

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope I am not violating any forum rules by posting this link, but it is legitimate:

I found the new Pangu Jailbreak from a modmyi.com twitter post:

I need to report that it does not work. I just updated my iPad 4 (Wifi + AT&T 4G 64 GIG) to 8.1 and downloaded the program. I plugged the iPad into my PC and launched the program. At first, the progress bar went a little, then the program stopped and the button became blue again. I then read the instructions carefully and turned find my iPhone off. The iCloud English text on the jailbreak program disappeared, but other English text read "Touch ID," presumably indicating that touch ID was on, contrary to the instructions. The problem is that the iPad4 does not have hardware for touch ID. I tried again to jailbreak by clicking the blue button (both times I unchecked the left option to install the pirating crap. This time the progress bar went farther and I saw some other percentage bars move, but the program again stopped, this time with the main progress bar around 40% finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, we know it does not work (thus the caveats in the first post to wait...).

You will continue to run into issues if you don't wait for the jailbreak tool to be made more user-friendly.

As a result, I've removed the link to doing the jailbreak. I cannot emphasize enough - please wait.

Marilyn

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll leave out links in my reply:)

The article that I mentioned did have instructions on how to manually instal Cydia. I suspect the new Jailbreak works for some devices as users are reporting success, but there must be at least one bug preventing it from working on my device.

Mountaingamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does work and takes about 4 minutes to jb with pangu. Loading Cydia is about another 5 minutes - no a big deal..... Still way easier than the old days!
image.jpg

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even if Saurik fixes the sequence issue in substrate, unless you're planning on running the iPhone/iPod/iPad in a Linux fashion, there's absolutely no point in going through the trouble of jailbreaking, SSHing Cydia onto your device, and having to force resprings to resolve crashes when iOS attempts to refresh substrate on its own. In which case, you'd just remove substrate altogether. If you remove substrate altogether, then there's no point in jailbreaking the device, which brings us back to a stock device.

The amount of users globally that voluntarily forfeited their iOS 7 jailbreak for an iOS 8 jailbreak is exponential. The the Jailbreak subreddit, most of the mass downvoted threads are all "X doesn't work" thinking an iOS 8 upgrade was worth giving up the iOS 7 jailbreak. Even if you're on a stock iOS 8 device, it's still not worth dealing with constant memory dumps and a plethora of possible boot errors or crashing.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To clarify, basically substrate is a beta at the moment. Analogous to the purpose of iOS betas, the point of releasing it aimed towards developers is to test it out and report issues. On iOS betas, there are millions of devices that are not actually used for development because they're only UDID registered with no developer status, so they can't report bugs and are barred from most iOS entities. The same is said for the current substrate. If you're not testing it for functionality and developmental purposes with regards to actually reporting to SaurikIT, there's no point in jailbreaking your device at the moment because the current state of the jailbreak and substrate are considered beta status

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Mountaingamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess my opinion is that pangu has released the jb for 8.1 & I think it would be wise to at least back up your device and attempt jailbreaking. We don't know how soon until Apple releases 8.1.1 to close the vulnerability. If someone on 8.1 waits and apple stops signing 8.1, then any problem at that point could mean no Jb for who knows how long. Just my 2¢.

Most reactions

Latest posts