What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REMINDER: Upgrade to iOS 6 = No Jailbreak (For Foreseeable Future)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an announcement that hopefully will serve more as a reminder than news to every iPad2/iPad3 jail breaker on this forum.

We are expecting iOS 6 to hit the streets this Wednesday, September 19. As of this writing, if you upgrade to iOS 6 - you WILL lose your jail break. Guaranteed.

(1) If you wish to remain jail broken, stay at your current iOS (for most, that's iOS 5.1.1). We'll have to practice patience and hope that "the powers that be" develop a jail break for iOS 6 soon. Watch this thread for updates on a jailbreak for iOS 6: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=89458

(2) Save your SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1 now. See this reminder from f4780y about that: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=89815

(3) Start being careful of/with your jail break. Only load the tweaks that are known to work with your iOS (or iPad generation - or both). We no longer have the luxury of an easy restore. If a tweak "breaks" your iPad - your only option will be to restore to iOS 6. Then, you will have to join the ranks of those who are waiting for the jail break. So, just be careful in installing tweaks...

(4) Speaking from past experience - do not let that red update badge on your Settings icon drive you batty :)D). Stay fqr, far away from that Software Update area in your Settings app. The key is, a jail breaker should never use any that function or any of the Reset functions offered in the iPad Settings app. They will not work and if you try to use them, they will cause you to have to use iTunes to restore your iPad. This restore will be to iOS 6 and so you will lose the jail break. Best thing - don't even look into the Reset or Software Update categories.

(5) If you've decided that iOS 6 now is better than a jail broken iOS 5.x, when the new iOS is released, simply connect your iPad to iTunes, make a back up and then select Restore on the main Summary page. iTunes will do its magic and, when prompted, you will be able to "restore from backup." If you decide to re-jailbreak again, once (if?) a jail break is discovered for iOS 6, all the Cydia tweaks you've purchased will be available for you to re-download/install without paying for them again.

Bottom line: As of right now, once Apple closes the iOS 5.1.1 window (probably within 24 hours of the iOS 6 public release) - there is no going back, saved SHSH blobs or not. If you have to restore, for any reason, it will be to iOS 6.

Again, watch the official iOS 6 jailbreak thread (linked above) for any jailbreaking news and updates.

Marilyn

Last edited:

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you marilyn for the remainder ... i seem to remember there is a cydia tweak that will hold that "red badge" to pop-up on the software update setting ..

what is the tweak ?

thnx ...

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot about those tweaks! There are a number of them - BadgeClear, No Badges, noOTA badge, BadgeRemover and Badges Begone.

I know I've used [successfully] the BadgeClear and noOTA badge tweaks. But, I'm sure the rest will work fine, also.

Marilyn

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
there was one tweak that you discussed specifically to prevent any accidental update from the device .. and it worked perfectly which was "no update" tweak

that was when u still on ipad-2 tho ... i wonder if you had it installed now ?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I've installed that "no update" tweak on both my iPad3 and my iPhone 4S, both of which are running iOS 5.1.1. Guess we'll see how they work...

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking forward to the return of Bob... :(

Bob - The little red dot on Marilyn's iPad Settings icon signaling an IOS update is available...

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the tweak was last updated March 2012. So, who knows if it'll still work come this Friday...

If it doesn't, Bob WILL be back! :D

Marilyn

Who really hope she doesn't have to deal with Bob again. He was rather a pain in the...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has the release date for iOS 6 been moved? I was expecting it tomorrow, with bated breathe, too. :)

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope - it hasn't moved. I got my dates mixed up. The new iPhone comes out Friday - the iOS gets updated tomorrow (Wed, Sep 19).

Thanks for catching it - I've fixed the date in the original post. Sorry 'bout that, y'all. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts