What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7: JailBreak Status Thread (Official)

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ive just tried to restore my ipad 3 backup onto my JB 7.0.6 ipad mini. However my cydia icon has disappeared after that! What should i do?

If you were previously jailbroken and you placed Cydia into a folder, the placement should still be in that exact same folder (may not be on the same page)

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I had Cydia in a folder, but it was not in that folder after the restore from backup. I went online and found a solution asking me to rejailbreak again but to stop at the clicking on evasion icon, but to disconnect and delete it instead. That seemed to work and Cydia came back along with installed tweak icons. However, I simply decided to just do a DFU restore and rejailbreak using 1.07 (I was on 1.06) and start all over just in case the jailbreak was bad, especially considering that 7.1 may be out soon. I reckon once 7.1 is out, the whole DFU restore process will no longer work so I thought to start again as much as I can. Am currently restoring from backup and will update on how it goes.

If you were previously jailbroken and you placed Cydia into a folder, the placement should still be in that exact same folder (may not be on the same page)

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I had Cydia in a folder, but it was not in that folder after the restore from backup. I went online and found a solution asking me to rejailbreak again but to stop at the clicking on evasion icon, but to disconnect and delete it instead. That seemed to work and Cydia came back along with installed tweak icons. However, I simply decided to just do a DFU restore and rejailbreak using 1.07 (I was on 1.06) and start all over just in case the jailbreak was bad, especially considering that 7.1 may be out soon. I reckon once 7.1 is out, the whole DFU restore process will no longer work so I thought to start again as much as I can. Am currently restoring from backup and will update on how it goes.

That's also an issue as well. 1.0.7 addressed the Cydia issues such as the app not appearing, and /usr/bin not being established that was present in 1.0.6.

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I regret to report that after doing a DFU Restore, rejailbreak using 1.07 and thereafter restoring from backup, the Cydia icon disappearing problem is still there. I had to do the half-jailbreak solution yet again. Looks like the best of efforts still failed to avoid the bug.

Update: My Settings, Safari and a number of other icons have disappeared as well. They were in my dock using infinidock but now cannot be found. A search in spotlight is still possible though.

Update 2: For those who encounter the same issue, the disappearing settings/safari etc has been fixed by copying IconSupportState.plist from my old ipad over to my new ipad.

That's also an issue as well. 1.0.7 addressed the Cydia issues such as the app not appearing, and /usr/bin not being established that was present in 1.0.6.

Last edited:

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lost cydia again. After trying to remove iCleaner. Man I give up on JB. None of the things I used in JB was useful anyways.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lost cydia again. After trying to remove iCleaner. Man I give up on JB. None of the things I used in JB was useful anyways.

To be honest, all the issues you've brought up are from self-made supposed necessity. Unless you specifically do something, your jailbreak will not cause you any issues as is.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To be honest, all the issues you've brought up are from self-made supposed necessity. Unless you specifically do something, your jailbreak will not cause you any issues as is.

I think it may. Realized JB is not for me.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it was an iPhone rather than an iPad, I would trade you mine for it. Forced to restore to 7.1 after a mishap on my day-to-day phone.

Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone. If I did I would never have used it as I like tablets better. And it performs stuff better.

Well after losing my JB I never noticed the difference. I never used the features of JB. And my iPad works fine. Chrome is faster than safari for me. I never had problems typing. Learned to live with stock iOS 7 icons. I lost 2 GB after. So I only consumed 1.3 GB.

This shows I don't need JB as I only use my iPad for gaming, FB, and surf the net. I rarely use it as a utility.

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't require it then don't bother with the JB. The rest of us who use the device to its fullest, will require jailbreaking. It is just like a person who uses a compact all-auto camera vs one who uses an SLR. If everyday photos are good enough for you, then you don't need the hassle and troubles involved in an SLR. If you need something more than full-auto, then we will learn how to operate an SLR.

I for one, will not be able to operate without jailbreak. I am far too used to having 36 icons per page, folders within folders, 10 icons in my dock, number keys on my keyboard (ikeywi) etc.

Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone. If I did I would never have used it as I like tablets better. And it performs stuff better.

Well after losing my JB I never noticed the difference. I never used the features of JB. And my iPad works fine. Chrome is faster than safari for me. I never had problems typing. Learned to live with stock iOS 7 icons. I lost 2 GB after. So I only consumed 1.3 GB.

This shows I don't need JB as I only use my iPad for gaming, FB, and surf the net. I rarely use it as a utility.

gqsmooth1981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sir perhaps you may edumecate us idiots as to the value of "jailbreaking" an iOS device. For example, I use my iPad MINI retina for mainly work and I would like to know what apps or mods I can make when I mainly use it to store guidelines and be able to track my pipeline via numbers/excel so if there is a real benefit I would JB my device but I've heard nothing but bad things like bricking your device and there are many ways for apple tech to find out if you jail broke your device or not. From my understanding JB entails you to connect to you MBP and then do some things to hack the device but returning it to it's original form is not easy. If you could please list the pros and cons when you have a minute that would be great. I would happily pay you should you message me personally for your time & expertise. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sir perhaps you may edumecate us idiots as to the value of "jailbreaking" an iOS device. For example, I use my iPad MINI retina for mainly work and I would like to know what apps or mods I can make when I mainly use it to store guidelines and be able to track my pipeline via numbers/excel so if there is a real benefit I would JB my device but I've heard nothing but bad things like bricking your device and there are many ways for apple tech to find out if you jail broke your device or not. From my understanding JB entails you to connect to you MBP and then do some things to hack the device but returning it to it's original form is not easy. If you could please list the pros and cons when you have a minute that would be great. I would happily pay you should you message me personally for your time & expertise. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To remove a jailbreak, all you do is restore your device in DFU mode. You do not need a Macbook, any computer running Windows and Mac OS with iTunes in order to jailbreak and restore a device.

Pros: You can do what you can already do on a stock device, but more. You gain root access like you can on an Android device. You can run unofficial coding to tweak/modify aspects of the iOS itself to enhance the already present features. You want to download a file? Can't do it on the stock iOS. Want to openly send files that you've downloaded on your device to other people? Can't do it on the stock iOS. Don't like the stock graphics/UI of the stock iOS? Deal with it, because you can't downgrade your iOS and they can't be changed. Don't want a specific annoyance? Deal with it, you can't remove/block it on the stock iOS.

Cons: Some tweaks (particularly excessively properly ones) requires (one time) payment, just like apps from the AppStore.

Common Misconceptions: Jailbreaking is hard, jailbreaking will guarantee a bricked device, jailbreaking is irreversible, jailbreaking is illegal and jailbreaking means piracy.

There are many guides that label specifically what you have to do, and the more recent utilities are one-click-one-tap jailbreaks or just one-click jailbreaks, no technical knowledge required unless you count starting up a computer, clicking on a link, downloading it, and opening it to be a technical difficulty. Jailbreaking will not guarantee you a one way trip to an expensive brick as described above. Jailbreaks are reversible by restoring your device using iTunes. Jailbreaking is perfectly legal, even Apple accredits the patching of vulnerabilities and exploits to the jailbreak developers. Will Apple advertise jailbreaking? No. Will they go "NSA" on you and make sure that each and every device out there is stock? No, they can care less really since they're worried about selling the hardware and apps, they're not selling the physical iOS itself.

Jailbreaking is NOT the same as piracy. A good 95% of the jailbreak community are pirates. Yes, 95%. What constitutes the jailbreaking community are users that have jailbroken devices, not just the ones that know how to work with a jailbroken device. Of the 95%, I would say at least 70-80% of this 95% are adolescent, of which they only jailbreak to obtain free apps from the AppStore or free packages from Cydia through piracy sources. The later 20-30% of the 95% are grown adults that have paying jobs and have no ethics/moral when it comes to putting themselves into a developer's shoes and see how their own hard work is being thrown around for free after spending hours, days or even years maintaining.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does Jailbreaking reduce the security of the ipad ?
Jailbreaking itself does nothing to decrease the security of the iPad. It does, however, give you the ability to download apps and tweaks that could degrade the security of the iPad. If you confine yourself to getting your jailbroken Apps and tweaks only from reputable repos you should have nothing to worry about security wise.

Most reactions

Latest posts