What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad3 Jailbreak Thread

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Our "job" - upon release of iOS 6 - is to wait for the jail breaking community. Patiently...
Very tempted to ditch the jailbreak scene for iOS 6 (once its released of course:D)

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRager said:
Very tempted to ditch the jailbreak scene for iOS 6 (once its released of course:D)

What do you think you'll gain. Apps will not catch up for a while. Most will not to go ios 6 because of wanting to maintain compatibility with older devices that cannot run iOS 6.

mrsolis93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cant get to get hdmi mirroring working on ipad 3 which is jailbroken 5.1.1. I also have a iphone 4s which is jailbroken. Hdmi mirroring didnt work on iphone either until i restored it and removed the jailbreak. I am thinking it will be the same on my ipad 3. I have display out and resupported on both devices. Does anyone know how to fix this while keeping my jailbreak?

Synaptic13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1341486281.172212.jpg

Lol
Sent from SyNaPtiC's PaD

judge2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got bored so JB my 'New iPad'. Sadly it seems that my favorite apps don't work. Namely Winterboard and WeatherIcon. If I apply a winterboard theme th sonly icons that change are for JB apps. When I have WeatherIcon set up it doesn't update.

I see a couple of screen shots that say they are iPad 3 themes, but they don't work for me. And I see several posts like this one saying that Winterboard doesn't work on iPad 3.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got bored so JB my 'New iPad'. Sadly it seems that my favorite apps don't work. Namely Winterboard and WeatherIcon. If I apply a winterboard theme th sonly icons that change are for JB apps. When I have WeatherIcon set up it doesn't update.

I see a couple of screen shots that say they are iPad 3 themes, but they don't work for me. And I see several posts like this one saying that Winterboard doesn't work on iPad 3.

Winterboard works perfectly well on the iPad3, however you must use 5.1.1 iPad3 compatable themes. We have themes sub-forum here where some are reviewed - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-themes/

And no, weather icon does not work, primarily because there is no native weather app on the iPad. Weathericon is an iPhone tweak.

judge2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In case anyone else is banging their head against this:

Some apps now have icons called icon@2x~ipad.png. Some of those icons are at 148x152 and some aren't. Some have icons called Icon-72.png, some [email protected], some [email protected] and some use a lower-case i and some don't and some don't care. Some have none of those but have icons called specific names. I guess you can go and look in /Applications/<appname> to find out exactly.

On a Mac you can use pngcrush to 'un-optimize' the native iPad/iPhone PNGs (if you have the iPhone dev kit installed) and you can use sips to resize a PNG (the advantage for me over using a GUI is that I could write a script to resize and rename a bunch of icons at the same time).

This is how to un-optimize a PNG:
Code:
/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/pngcrush -revert-iphone-optimizations -q <input file> <output file>

This is a script that resize all PNGs with @2x in the name in the current directory and all its subdirectories and to 148x152 and appends ~ipad.png to the new file name:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
cwd=`pwd`
for i in `find . -name "*@2x*.png"`
do
	dir=`dirname $i | sed -e s%./%%`
	outfile=$dir/`basename $i .png`~ipad.png
	sips -z 152 148 $i --out $outfile
done

Apologies if I'm repeating stuff that everyone already knows, but I can't find this stuff anywhere.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts