What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 beta issues

viveknz76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am making a list of issues that I have experienced with iOS 4.2 beta.

Zinio - magazine app doesn't work
Pages and Numbers - I cannot inset photos
Photos - I cannot play music with the slide show
Twitter - I cannot change profile photo

Cheers
Vivek

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The above should be passed on to whom ever the developer is that provided the upgrade as no one here can assist but in saying that we have a few developers whom may pass it on to Apple. It's important that this does not confuse users as 90% users in this forum may not understand that this is typical of pre- release software and will be corrected by either Apple or third party application developers.

Col.Bris

Pinchot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Add to list of 4.2 problem apps

These apps appear to have issues with 4.2:

Early Edition - Crashes when opened
Reuters New Pro - Crashes when opened
Mail - One of my four mail accounts 9a POP account) crashes the system when opened. I disabled the one mail account and can noe access the other three.

All apps will need to be re-installed after a 4.2 restore. In most cases, the data will come back after a re-sync, but not in all cases.
All Pages, Numbers or Keynote files are gone after the 4.2 restore
Garage Sale eBay projects are gone after 4.2 restore
Informant HD setting and data is gone after 4.2 restore
Saved Art Studio files are gone

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some forum popups (thread tools) do not work anylonger.. some do (within thread works, forum tool does not).
Same with mail as everyone else, gmail and yahoo do not crash comcast accounts crash.
Switching from 3g to wifi only sometimes needs reset to work.
Same issue with picutres, but otherwise all my apps are working great.

OP
V

viveknz76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just had my hopes high with the updates released for pages and numbers. Thought they might have addressed the issues for 4.2 beta as well but alas no. Still can't add photos to pages or numbers.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pages and numbers will be updated to support 4.2 just wait until at lease gold 4.2 it seems that 4.2 is causing more issues on wifi/ 3G iPads than iPad only. But i may be wrong. I holding fine and very. Happy with current update waiting for printer function to be activated 100%.

aklesh3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Multitasking is not working well.

Or maybe I don’t understand the way it should be used. When I double press on the home button, the multitasking bar comes up, showing every app I’ve run. None of them seem to be clearing out of memory when I close them out. Is this the way it should work?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is the way it works, which I honestly do find to be a bit of a flaw. If you don't go in and close out the apps all the way (by holding any one of them down until they "wiggle" at which point you see the little minus sign where you can delete them), they will just keep adding up! At some point, I am sure this will necessarily impact either the memory or the storage space or both.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is the way it works, which I honestly do find to be a bit of a flaw. If you don't go in and close out the apps all the way (by holding any one of them down until they "wiggle" at which point you see the little minus sign where you can delete them), they will just keep adding up! At some point, I am sure this will necessarily impact either the memory or the storage space or both.

It takes some getting used to, mostly because people have preconceptions about what they think Apple's multi-tasking implementation should be and misconceptions about how it actually works.
Only applications which are specifically updated to support multitasking will be using additional memory over say a 3.x implementation, however Apple have been extremely cautious about exactly "how and what" is kept running in the background. Typically, a true multi-tasked application has a much smaller memory footprint in the background compared to when it is in the foreground, so the net effect of backgrounding an application is quite small in terms of RAM. That's not to say it is nothing...

Applications which do not support any of the multitasking features will still appear in the multitasking bar, and people naturally assume these must be taking up memory. Actually it is better to think of the multitasking bar as a list of recently used programs. Some may be running in the background if they are multitasking enabled, the others are simply like a desktop shortcut, and will launch the app fresh if pushed again.

It took me a good week to get over the OCD "must close evertying" behaviour when I got the launch day iPhone4. I would urge all new IOS4 iPad users to try and get over their preconceptions about the bar and force yourself to try and use it for extended periods of time without constantly clearing out the icons. iOS has pretty decent memory management and you really shouldn't get to a state where you notice any negative effects from having lots of apps in the bar. If you do, by all means close some.

What you end up with is actually a quick launch bar with the things you use the most at the start... Quite useful I find...

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you end up with is actually a quick launch bar with the things you use the most at the start... Quite useful I find...

Hope that helps.

Plus I loved the little animation it makes between programs. I agree, it is very useful to just double click home and "swap" programs, even if they don't remain running.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, it looks like Air Video and CBS do not work as of now on IOS 4.2......BUT, Plex and Netflix does. Plex is a great air video substitute...since it organizes everything and also gives info on movies (tho I still love Air Video!)....and it looks like if you leave plex to go to a different app and go back to it it will resume where you left off as well :)

uh oh....looks like Air Sharing is not popping up the keyboard when it starts up to unlock it....that could be a big problem!

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And it appears that the developers are really hopping. I clicked on the App Store and had 9 updates (in addition to the several I have already installed) so hopefully some of these annoying "issues" are being taken care of as we speak.

Shadowslevin2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the problem of volume, or the lack there of after my ipad has been in the keyboard dock. After I pull the ipad from the dock the volume rocker is null.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing I dont understand is that they replaced the screen lock with mute for some reason, yet if you hold the volume down it still mutes.

Most reactions

Latest posts