What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHSH Blobs - Frequently Asked Questions - UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

neokfire7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok i made...
The folder .shsh that i creat is about 1.53MB.....
Am i ok now?
Sorry iam sooo noob, i know. Thank u for your answer.

Yes. The folder has one or more files in it. Those are your blobs for all versions of IOS you are entitled to at the moment. You can see which ones they are in TinyUmbrella. You may have some 5.x beta ones. Don't worry about those. They are normal. As long as you have 4.3.3, you are OK.

Yes, inside are 2 folders and one file. The 2 folders called : **.cache and **.known_devices . the file is **.shsh ......

Kenilik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if I understand the issue about 3G and SHSH then the following is correct?

If I JB my iPad2 3G 4.3.3 and Apple stop signing 4.3.3 then I will not be able restore to 4.3.3 even if I have my SHSH 4.3.3 blob saved in TU. And this is because the JB for iPad2 is using an iOS exploit that cannot get around the security Apple has on the modem firmware.

I will only be able to 'upgrade' from a JB 4.3.3 to whatever comes next from Apple.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So if I understand the issue about 3G and SHSH then the following is correct?

If I JB my iPad2 3G 4.3.3 and Apple stop signing 4.3.3 then I will not be able restore to 4.3.3 even if I have my SHSH 4.3.3 blob saved in TU. And this is because the JB for iPad2 is using an iOS exploit that cannot get around the security Apple has on the modem firmware.

I will only be able to 'upgrade' from a JB 4.3.3 to whatever comes next from Apple.

Correct, so the moral of the story is, be very careful after 4.3.4 is released that you don't force yourself into a situation where a restore is required, e.g. by installing something from Cydia that is not compatible with iPad!
Otherwise you will have to go back to a stock iPad2 until an exploit is found which can bypass Apples new countermeasures...

AKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cydia make my life easier???

In my case, when I first Jailbroke, I am quite sure I ran Cydia for at least 4 days or more before it even invited me to "make my life easier", which I did at the first opportunity. That was one of the first things I began to look for after jailbreaking.

Thanks. As regards the 4 day thing...

Saurik has often "tuned" the Cydia servers around the time when a new jailbreak is released so that he can manage the huge load that is placed on them during the "goldrush" for the new jailbreak. He has often turned features off for a few days until things calmed down and then reinstated them. When 4.2.1 was released I remember the SHSH display was removed from the homescreen for a while.
My guess is that you joined during one of these periods when "make my life easier" was switched off. As soon as he re-enabled it you got asked the question.

Hope that clears it up!

Just jail broke my iPad 2- 4.3.3 yesterday and I'm experiencing the same problem... Cydia still hasn't given me the "make my life easier" option. I was wondering if there is a way to prompt it myself? I'm a bit new to this stuff, so this might be a dumb question.. Sorry!

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my case, when I first Jailbroke, I am quite sure I ran Cydia for at least 4 days or more before it even invited me to "make my life easier", which I did at the first opportunity. That was one of the first things I began to look for after jailbreaking.

Thanks. As regards the 4 day thing...

Saurik has often "tuned" the Cydia servers around the time when a new jailbreak is released so that he can manage the huge load that is placed on them during the "goldrush" for the new jailbreak. He has often turned features off for a few days until things calmed down and then reinstated them. When 4.2.1 was released I remember the SHSH display was removed from the homescreen for a while.
My guess is that you joined during one of these periods when "make my life easier" was switched off. As soon as he re-enabled it you got asked the question.

Hope that clears it up!

Just jail broke my iPad 2- 4.3.3 yesterday and I'm experiencing the same problem... Cydia still hasn't given me the "make my life easier" option. I was wondering if there is a way to prompt it myself? I'm a bit new to this stuff, so this might be a dumb question.. Sorry!

Where are u looking for it? and how and where do u install tiny umbrella onto your ipad?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

It would appear as though, with Cydia 1.1.2 on iPad2, Saurik has stopped asking the question altogether and is just doing it automatically.

What does the line at the top of the Cydia home page say when you launch Cydia? If it lists your 4.3.3 blobs, then you are safe and Cydia is saving your blobs. Mine did this automatically this week on my iPad2.

Can anyone else confirm for sure it is automatic now? Did anyone get the "make my life easier question" on the iPad2 this week?

AKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It would appear as though, with Cydia 1.1.2 on iPad2, Saurik has stopped asking the question altogether and is just doing it automatically.

What does the line at the top of the Cydia home page say when you launch Cydia? If it lists your 4.3.3 blobs, then you are safe and Cydia is saving your blobs. Mine did this automatically this week on my iPad2.

Can anyone else confirm for sure it is automatic now? Did anyone get the "make my life easier question" on the iPad2 this week?

Above the Welcome to Cydia heading, it just says "SHSH:iOS 4.3.3" in green. Do you think this means I'm good? Please let me know what you think I should do... Since you're the experts! I appreciate the help.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Above the Welcome to Cydia heading, it just says "SHSH:iOS 4.3.3" in green. Do you think this means I'm good? Please let me know what you think I should do... Since you're the experts! I appreciate the help.

As I said above, if you see that then you are good. Cydia is saving your blobs, and it seems to confirm that it is now automatic.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have updated the main FAQ with details.

For the avoidance of doubt, "automatic" means you WONT get asked anything now. It does it automatically ;)

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
sorry to harass you again, but how exactly do we use these blobs, I realise we turn on TSS server in TU and that makes ITunes think its talking to apples host, but then what do i do in ITunes??
My ipad boots up but something looks strange with the icons, when i press anything it reboots again, so i cant enter settings and turn something off.
I take it I have to start all over again.

The reason I ask is that i have read everything on here and done everything it says, I am in restore mode with a blank screen, I have turned on TSS server in TU and when i go to itunes it notes i am in recovery mode, but when i click on restore it tells me its going to restore and update to newest ios!!

Have I done something wrong as I am not going any further till I know....dont wanna lose JB!!

Thank you

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
TheRambler said:
sorry to harass you again, but how exactly do we use these blobs, I realise we turn on TSS server in TU and that makes ITunes think its talking to apples host, but then what do i do in ITunes??
My ipad boots up but something looks strange with the icons, when i press anything it reboots again, so i cant enter settings and turn something off.
I take it I have to start all over again.

The reason I ask is that i have read everything on here and done everything it says, I am in restore mode with a blank screen, I have turned on TSS server in TU and when i go to itunes it notes i am in recovery mode, but when i click on restore it tells me its going to restore and update to newest ios!!

Have I done something wrong as I am not going any further till I know....dont wanna lose JB!!

Thank you

If you have your blobs and the TSS Server is started then your blobs are good to go and nothing else is required.

However, you need to restore the right firmware in iTunes. First download the right one from our sticky in this section (I'm assuming you want 4.3.3), and once you have that downloaded to your PC, hold down the shift key when you press "restore" in iTunes. This will prompt iTunes to ask you what IPSW you want to restore. Choose the 4.3.3 one you just downloaded.

And to be clear, this will ONLY work for iPad1, and iPad2 WiFi. It will not work for iPad2 3G. If you have an iPad2 3G model you are out of luck.

Jaxtah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
And to be clear, this will ONLY work for iPad1, and iPad2 WiFi. It will not work for iPad2 3G. If you have an iPad2 3G model you are out of luck.

Hi f4780y,

I have an iPad2 3G model and was having a load of trouble just getting TU to do anything at all with my shsh's last night - please see the thread 'Saving Blobs' for screen shots and the different processes I tried.
Do you think these problems are because my iPad is 3g?
Any suggestions, thoughts & ideas ares welcomed.
Thanks in advance :)

Sent from here  to there on my iPad2 using iPF

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jaxtah said:
Hi f4780y,

I have an iPad2 3G model and was having a load of trouble just getting TU to do anything at all with my shsh's last night - please see the thread 'Saving Blobs' for screen shots and the different processes I tried.
Do you think these problems are because my iPad is 3g?
Any suggestions, thoughts & ideas ares welcomed.
Thanks in advance :)

Sent from here  to there on my iPad2 using iPF

You cannot use saved blobs to restore an iPad2 3G (GSM & CDMA) model device as is clearly stated in several threads including this one. There is no current workaround for this. Therefore, the only firmware restore you can perform on these devices are for the version(s) of IOS which Apple are currently signing. At this precise moment that is 4.3.3 and 4.3.4, but Apple will shut the 4.3.3 window imminently. If you are trying to restore 4.3.3 do not use saved blobs via TU, just turn off TU and make sure you are talking directly with Apple and perform the restore as normal. However, this will cease to work soon, and you will only be able to restore 4.3.4 from that point on.
Only iPad1 and iPad2 WiFi owners can use saved blobs as things stand today.

Hope that clarifies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts