What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHSH Blobs - Frequently Asked Questions - UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

neokfire7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more noob question.... There isnt any programme so that you can create an "image?"

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
neokfire7 said:
One more noob question.... There isnt any programme so that you can create an "image?"

You mean create an "ISO" image of the shsh or the firmware? But still would be no to both...options....

Jaxtah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
You cannot use saved blobs to restore an iPad2 3G (GSM & CDMA) model device as is clearly stated in several threads including this one. There is no current workaround for this. Therefore, the only firmware restore you can perform on these devices are for the version(s) of IOS which Apple are currently signing. At this precise moment that is 4.3.3 and 4.3.4, but Apple will shut the 4.3.3 window imminently. If you are trying to restore 4.3.3 do not use saved blobs via TU, just turn off TU and make sure you are talking directly with Apple and perform the restore as normal. However, this will cease to work soon, and you will only be able to restore 4.3.4 from that point on.
Only iPad1 and iPad2 WiFi owners can use saved blobs as things stand today.

Hope that clarifies :)

Ok, think I've got it, thank you :)

I'm not trying to restore, just save blobs incase I do decide to jb.
. . . and even if I could save my blobs with TU (which I cannot for some unknown reason), then I wouldn't be able to restore them anyway.

So, bottom line is - I don't need to save them to TU at all?

What would happen if I stayed un-jb'd and upgraded to 4.3.4 then for some reason needed to go back to 4.3.3 - there is absolutely no way for iPad2 3G (GSM & CDMA) model owners to restore back at all to 4.3.3 in any way shape or form?!

Sent from here  to there on my iPad2 using iPF

neokfire7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
neokfire7 said:

You mean create an "ISO" image of the shsh or the firmware? But still would be no to both...options....

Yes, to create an "iso image" of the ipad. Something like ghost for windows or xrecovery for android....

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
I heard of something called a Live DVD, an OS that runs from DVD.....but it all sounded like double the work of using the download from here and I tunes!!

A massive thanks to f4780y for taking the time to talk me through the "bringing my ipad back from the brink of death" scenario LOL.....all in all the info on here was great, everything I needed could be found in various stickys and hey presto, back on 4.3.3 and syncing my songs.....JB part 2 in a mo!!

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
neokfire7 said:

Yes, to create an "iso image" of the ipad. Something like ghost for windows or xrecovery for android....

No offence guys, but this is WAY off topic. There is no tool like this that I'm aware of. You can create custom firmwares using pwnage and sn0wbreeze, so look into those, and start a separate thread if needed. OK?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, bottom line is - I don't need to save them to TU at all?
What would happen if I stayed un-jb'd and upgraded to 4.3.4 then for some reason needed to go back to 4.3.3 - there is absolutely no way for iPad2 3G (GSM & CDMA) model owners to restore back at all to 4.3.3 in any way shape or form?!

I would disagree with the first bit :)
You never know what might happen in the future and when / if your saved blobs will become useful. Just because there is no way to use them for your device today, does not mean that will always be the case. There is no harm in doing it and having a potential future benefit tucked away. That's my opinion on it anyway.

But you are right in the second part. Your blobs serve no purpose for iPad2 3G as things stand. You can't restore back to 4.3.3 using them once Apple stop signing the firmware.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have updated Q15 for iPad2 3G GSM & CDMA owners with some important information related to the news announced about TinyUmbrella today here - The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella: iPad 2 4.3.x Respite

This fantastic news means that owners of these devices are able to use their saved blobs IF they use TinyUmbrella during a restore operation AND provided Apple is still signing the 4.3.4 firmware. Up until today, saved blobs for these devices were of no practical use.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As I am the kinda guy who goes, "oh cool, I'll do this thing" then afterwards start to think a little more deeply....well, anyway, I just dl'd iSH**** and found the file in ifile (i think/hope) and emailed it to myself for safe keeping (if that is even possible for a bum-rag like me), but it looks like a bunch of greek. Is that right? I got it from ifile in applications/iSH****.app. Hope I'm ok..

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dstuttgen said:
As I am the kinda guy who goes, "oh cool, I'll do this thing" then afterwards start to think a little more deeply....well, anyway, I just dl'd iSH**** and found the file in ifile (i think/hope) and emailed it to myself for safe keeping (if that is even possible for a bum-rag like me), but it looks like a bunch of greek. Is that right? I got it from ifile in applications/iSH****.app. Hope I'm ok..

Yup, Greeks about right, or maybe Geek :)
It's a digital signature. Not meant for us mere mortals to read :D

ABTguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad2 3G 32GB

Help !!

For no reason my ipad 2 got hang by itself even when I did not use it. Then it went into boot loop with the apple icon on screen. Was using 4.3.3 with jailbreak.

I have saved my SHSH blob using TU 5.0.0.6 but the saved blobs show 4.3.4 (8k2) even when my existing firmware then was 4.3.3 (8j2), not sure why.

I tried going into DFU mode to do a firmware restore, just to emphasize again, I DID NOT UPGRADE TO 4.3.4 or 4.3.5 AT ALL. The ipad hang at 4.3.3 JB,

Methond 1 - now I tried to restore 4.3.3 firmware with TU 5.0.0.9 and itunes 10.3 but I encountered 1604 error.

Method 2- If I don't use TU and only use itunes 10.3 with modified host file, I could get the restore process running, but at some point in time I get 1013 error.

And on top I have saved my shsh blob using iSHSH it app in cydia, and already emailed myself the saved .xml file which carries the name of "2306012384591-iPad2,2-4.3.3.xml". How can I make sure of it ? My TU does not recognise this 4.3.3 blob which is a .xml file.

Using a pc system with Win 7.

Thanks for the help.

---------------------------
edit :

problem solved, sucessfully restored my 4.3.3 using the shsh blob saved by "ishsh it". The programs created a single file as opposed to TU of 3-4 files. And when I emailed back to myself from ipad to my gmail, the gmail recognised as xxx.xml file. Then I went back to my Ms Outlook only to realise that the original file extension should be xxx.shsh instead. Just renamed the file extension, dumped into the .shsh folder, start all over the downgrade process and voila - DONE :D

Last edited:

eklipse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm brand new to the my game, newbie if you must, but my question is "Can you use an iphone firmware on a ipad to restore"? I just bought a ipad 1 and upgraded to firmware 4.3.5. I messed up by not searching the net first but I would like to downgrade from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3. I used tiny umbrella but I only have 4.3.5 and newer SHSH on my umbrella list. So, thats why I ask if its possible to use an iphone firmware 4.3.3 which I have on my umbrella list on a ipad firmware 4.3.5 to downgrade/restore? Thanks again.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
eklipse said:
I'm brand new to the my game, newbie if you must, but my question is "Can you use an iphone firmware on a ipad to restore"? I just bought a ipad 1 and upgraded to firmware 4.3.5. I messed up by not searching the net first but I would like to downgrade from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3. I used tiny umbrella but I only have 4.3.5 and newer SHSH on my umbrella list. So, thats why I ask if its possible to use an iphone firmware 4.3.3 which I have on my umbrella list on a ipad firmware 4.3.5 to downgrade/restore? Thanks again.

No, there is no way round it, and you cannot use SHSH from another device. Otherwise we could all share them, right?
You are stuck with 4.3.5. Sorry.

Rokrdude2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have updated Q15 for iPad2 3G GSM & CDMA owners with some important information related to the news announced about TinyUmbrella today here - The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella: iPad 2 4.3.x Respite

This fantastic news means that owners of these devices are able to use their saved blobs IF they use TinyUmbrella during a restore operation AND provided Apple is still signing the 4.3.4 firmware. Up until today, saved blobs for these devices were of no practical use.

@f4780y
So are we able to restore iPad2 3g with 4.3.3 if we had shsh blobs saved using TinyUmbrella or not
I thought there was problem restoring 3g version's

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rokrdude2 said:
@f4780y
So are we able to restore iPad2 3g with 4.3.3 if we had shsh blobs saved using TinyUmbrella or not
I thought there was problem restoring 3g version's

Yes. That's what the update says, doesn't it? What you are talking about was very old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts