What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHSH Blobs - Frequently Asked Questions - UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a note ... Tiny Umbrella checks for ANY saved blob, no matter the version number. For example, it lists 4.2.1 blobs for my iPad because I saved them. I've seen screenshots for versions back to 3.x.

Tiny Umbrella only finds what's there and if you've checked on both your computer and Cydia (using TU) and you only have 4.3.5, then that's the only blobs you have..

Sorry.

Marilyn

targa88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since I am coming late to the party. I have an IPAD1.
When I go to the Firmware Umbrella website - there is a warning (Oct.7/11) about the site being sold (domain) and not to use the site.

Not looking for jailbreak at this point but more of the SHSH blobs to be saved - recommendations?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since I am coming late to the party. I have an IPAD1.
When I go to the Firmware Umbrella website - there is a warning (Oct.7/11) about the site being sold (domain) and not to use the site.

Not looking for jailbreak at this point but more of the SHSH blobs to be saved - recommendations?

that warning has nothing to do with tiny umbrella....it was for the site to jailbreak our devices, known as jailbreakme.com....which is also safe to use again.

you are in the clear, you can return to that site and download tiny umbrella to save your blobs.
The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

stingray1059

iPF Noob
Reaction score
can i save my shsh blogs even though the ipad/iphone is disabled?
my wife tried to open my ipad but she didnt know the password and after several attempts it became disabled connect to itunes error.

i dont want to lose my jailbreak. its an ipad2 4.3.3

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
can i save my shsh blogs even though the ipad/iphone is disabled?
my wife tried to open my ipad but she didnt know the password and after several attempts it became disabled connect to itunes error.

i dont want to lose my jailbreak. its an ipad2 4.3.3

shsh blobs, not blogs.

you might not lose jailbreak, try this first.
press home and sleep button for 10-15 secs, release when you see the apple.

you can only save 4.3.3 blobs when apple is signing it, they are signing 4.3.5 right now...sorry.

if you have other questions, create a new thread. If it is still about blobs, keep asking here.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have an iPad 2 jailbroken on 4.3.3 and have my blobs saved from 4.3.2 up to 4.3.5, my question is do we still need to save blobs for 5.0 and up? Thought I saw someone post that it will be useless to have blobs for 5.0 and up because with the new iOS you won't be able to go back to a previous firmware. For some reason I want to say the post also said TU won't be able to save them. Is any of this correct?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I have an iPad 2 jailbroken on 4.3.3 and have my blobs saved from 4.3.2 up to 4.3.5, my question is do we still need to save blobs for 5.0 and up? Thought I saw someone post that it will be useless to have blobs for 5.0 and up because with the new iOS you won't be able to go back to a previous firmware. For some reason I want to say the post also said TU won't be able to save them. Is any of this correct?

Whilst Blobs for 4.x and 3.x remain important and valid (if you ever want to go back to one of those firmwares), SHSH Blobs for 5.0 and onwards cannot be replayed like the previous versions. The contain a NONCE component which means they can be used once only. So as things stand today, there is no point in saving them...

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y, thanks for the info. I remembered reading it regarding the iOS5 and up but just wanted to verify.

S.I.C.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question, most likely a pyramid question... (Some history first...) I wanted to jailbreak my mother's iPad 2 earlier today. After doing a significantly large amount of reading, researching, learning, and experimenting, I came across either a bump in the road or just a plain impassable/impenetrable wall. I have learned quite a bit about Signature Hash blobs for the iOS, it's device, and Apple, and how they are unique to each version upgrade. I guess, basically what I am trying to find out is if there is a way to pull out and save the SHSH blob of a current version (e.g. 4.3.5 - my mother's current iPAD version), and "stitch" it into an older version by decrypting the .dmg system file and embedding it into the appropriate file, or maybe, masking the "version number" of the older version to appear as if it is a current version to fool iTunes into believing it is a verfied restorable version with or without embedded/stitched SHSH blobs to downgrade effectively. Just a thought. I am not sure if it was ever mentioned.... and thanks for taking the time to read/respond! :)

duginnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe I should be able to save current ipad1 4.3.5 blobs using ifaith 1.2.1 even though apple is no longer signing that version, but I cannot get the ifaith to run the whole program, it continually stops at find os version....any body able to point me in the right direction?

platnm6309

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad 1 blobs

Hi, I am a newbie here so please forgive me. Next week I will be getting my ipad 1, 64gb 3g wifi. The person that has it has io5 five on it. I don't know if he saved the blobs or not, but I do have all mine from my iphone 4 what Cydia saved. Am I understanding this forum correct in that since I have these on the iphone 4, I can move them to my mac, and then restore them and put them on the ipad 1 so that I can later jailbreak? This ipad has a warranty till March of next year and I know that I would have to restore as not to void a warranty, god forbid I have to take it in. Right now, I am downloading 4.2.1 for the ipad 1 now. Thanks a bunch

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a newbie here so please forgive me. Next week I will be getting my ipad 1, 64gb 3g wifi. The person that has it has io5 five on it. I don't know if he saved the blobs or not, but I do have all mine from my iphone 4 what Cydia saved. Am I understanding this forum correct in that since I have these on the iphone 4, I can move them to my mac, and then restore them and put them on the ipad 1 so that I can later jailbreak? This ipad has a warranty till March of next year and I know that I would have to restore as not to void a warranty, god forbid I have to take it in. Right now, I am downloading 4.2.1 for the ipad 1 now. Thanks a bunch

Nope, you are completely misunderstanding the FAQ. You can't use blobs from one device on another. Otherwise we could all just share one set of shared blobs, couldn't we?

If the owner of the iPad hasn't saved any blobs on Cydia by jailbreaking a long time ago, you are going to be out of luck with your new device and all you will be entitled to restore is IOS5 from this point forward. When you get the device, follow this tutorial and you will get a list of all the blobs you are entitled to use - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and 4.2.1 is too old, if you said 4.3.3 then that would be better. Although i never seen or heard about this happen before,....what if he(seller) does have blobs saved for the said; iPad 1 on his computer, can't he just locate and copy the blobs and send it to him(platnm6309) via file transfer somehow.

anyways, if i was platnm6309, i wouldn't worry about the older firmwares, just jailbreak iOS 5(tethered), and use the semi-tether jailbreak option until an untethered jailbreak is available....atleast you will be jailbroken, since that is what you want.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
anyways, if i was platnm6309, i wouldn't worry about the older firmwares, just jailbreak iOS 5(tethered), and use the semi-tether jailbreak option until an untethered jailbreak is available....atleast you will be jailbroken, since that is what you want.

But semi-tether is STILL not working reliably on the iPad. The latest update completely ruined my iPad1 jailbreak last night and necessitated a full restore (would not boot tethered or untethered)... It is NOT a viable solution yet.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But semi-tether is STILL not working reliably on the iPad. The latest update completely ruined my iPad1 jailbreak last night and necessitated a full restore (would not boot tethered or untethered)... It is NOT a viable solution yet.

not sure when last night you tried, but I'm eastern standard time(guessing 11:30pm), and i got the most recent fixes/updates also last night, as i was having a little trouble too, and i must say it is working 100%.....although I did this on an iPod touch, i plan on doing the iPad 1 very soon and will report back.....will be doing iphone 4 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts