What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with Air

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well hopefully it will be addressed shortly. I can't say anything about the 1gb of RAM, since my iPad 2 runs far less then that!
I really hope so, I'm not sure that the 1gig of Ram theory holds water either.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes I have had the scrolling thing, not FB, can be anything at all, there's no rhyme or reason to my crashes, it can be working flawlessly for quite a while and then I'm kicked back to the home screen....So your iPad 2 can have the same issues, that indicates a software issue doesn't it.

Yes, it certainly appears to be a software issue from my observations and research. Perhaps the 64 bit architecture of the Air magnifies the problem inherent in iOS 7. That's my theory. I pretty sure the Apple engineers know about the problem. There have been lots of returns and frustrations!

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it certainly appears to be a software issue from my observations and research. Perhaps the 64 bit architecture of the Air magnifies the problem inherent in iOS 7. That's my theory. I pretty sure the Apple engineers know about the problem. There have been lots of returns and frustrations!

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF
Frustration is right, I got the same thing from Apple today, another restore or exchange it and I can't see the point in doing either one again, hope they roll out an update to fix it soon.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really hope so, I'm not sure that the 1gig of Ram theory holds water either.

I don't see how it could hold water. The crashing that people are reporting always seems to center around safari and iOS 7. If it was truly just a RAM issue then I suspect we'd be hearing about a lot more widespread crashes using basically every app. Right? I mean a game like Real racing HD probably uses more Ram than safari..... Surely. Of course I'm not 100% sure but the amount of RAM doesn't seem to be the main culprit. More like memory management by certain apps.

NZBred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only other model difference will be Wi-Fi only vs. Wi-Fi + Cellular.... Maybe some cell function (seeking a network, etc.,...?) is interfering with overall operation somehow. Would all you guys with problems chime back in and let us know the model you have --- memory size and cellular (yes vs. no) capability?

128gb 4g

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Frustration is right, I got the same thing from Apple today, another restore or exchange it and I can't see the point in doing either one again, hope they roll out an update to fix it soon.

Hi Poisonivy - I've been reading this thread and really feel the pain that you are going through w/ this newest iPad - BOY, I would have expected just a perfect device and transition - really sorry for all of the troubles you have had and with no apparent explanation - I'm planning to upgrade myself from an iPad 2 but was going to wait until early next year - crossing my fingers for you (and for me in a few months) - hope that all works out well - Dave :)

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Poisonivy - I've been reading this thread and really feel the pain that you are going through w/ this newest iPad - BOY, I would have expected just a perfect device and transition - really sorry for all of the troubles you have had and with no apparent explanation - I'm planning to upgrade myself from an iPad 2 but was going to wait until early next year - crossing my fingers for you (and for me in a few months) - hope that all works out well - Dave :)
Hi Dave, thank you, hopefully by the time you upgrade the problem will be sorted, I would like to see this thread kept going and more input on members experiences, It's strange that some people have no problems at all and others like me are having this issue.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Dave, thank you, hopefully by the time you upgrade the problem will be sorted, I would like to see this thread kept going and more input on members experiences, It's strange that some people have no problems at all and others like me are having this issue.

That's what I was getting at a few posts ago: it's very odd that some of us are having fits and others are completely unaffected by it. Usually a problem like this can be narrowed down to hardware or software within a reasonable amount of time but not this issue. I hope that it gets sorted. I don't want the Air to end up with a bad reputation!

For the record, mine has been perfect and I got it a few days after release at my local Best Buy. Must have got lucky? :)

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I was getting at a few posts ago: it's very odd that some of us are having fits and others are completely unaffected by it. Usually a problem like this can be narrowed down to hardware or software within a reasonable amount of time but not this issue. I hope that it gets sorted. I don't want the Air to end up with a bad reputation!

For the record, mine has been perfect and I got it a few days after release at my local Best Buy. Must have got lucky? :)
It is puzzling, The more i read about it the more puzzling it gets, this morning i went to my home page, clicked on my Google mail tab and right away i was kicked back to the home screens, I had hardly anything running in the background just quite a few tabs at the top of my home page, It really doesn't take much for it to crash.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The other possibility is that the iOS 7 version of Safari has problems with certain websites. Personally, I use a very limited number of websites...and with those, I don't see a problem with Safari. However, once you consider lots of people, it is very possible that some people are using sites that Safari is having problems with...and since iOS 7 is knew, people don't know where the place the blame (not saying the problem isn't with Safari, but it gets confusing when you have many variables that impact the problem).

Anyway, you guys can track the crashes to websites? Then stop using that site for a while and see if crashes reduce in number or stop. Find another crash, temporarily stop using another website.

That's all I got. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see how it could hold water. The crashing that people are reporting always seems to center around safari and iOS 7. If it was truly just a RAM issue then I suspect we'd be hearing about a lot more widespread crashes using basically every app. Right? I mean a game like Real racing HD probably uses more Ram than safari..... Surely. Of course I'm not 100% sure but the amount of RAM doesn't seem to be the main culprit. More like memory management by certain apps.

Definitely does not hold water. That thinking is based on Android tablets (and Windows PCs). The only way these things get good performance is to keep upping the RAM to the point where they are more like PCs than tablets. But if that is the problem, then keeping the number of tabs open to a minimum should reduce the crashes and this should be easy to test, were it not for the fact that the website themselves could have code that Safari is having problems with....so once again the problem is one of many parts impacting the whole. Hard to nail down.

J.O.D.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this must be a memory issue together with Safari bad code - I have iPad 1 (but looking forward to see the Air on Xmas Eve:) ) and Safari is absolutely No. 1 on my crashing apps hotlist - and I have usually just a single tab (or how to call it, it's 5.1.1 after all...). Other apps sometimes crash on me too, but nothing so hilarious as Safari.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After reading up on this, I'm starting to agree with AQ_OC: it's Safari not playing well with some/certain web sites.

I don't normally have problems with crashing on my iPad Air - but, then again, I don't do a lot of Safari browsing, either. I use apps more and Safari, for me, is just a quick way to Google an answer to a question.

But, I was over on the Apple support site and there a LOT of threads of people with this issue. Some posters there listed some site links. When I went to some of those sites on my iPad Air, Safari crashed.

So, I'm thinking that iOS 7 Safari has a coding issue with the way it renders certain web sites. And, given the many millions of web sites out there, I'm thinking it's not going to be an easy fix.

My suggestion is to keep sending bug reports to Apple (although I'm sure they are aware of the issue by now). I'm sure if they get enough crash reports, they"ll be able to find and fix the problem.

TBH, I don't think a restore to factory settings will help (or swapping your iPad for a new one at the Apple Store) - cause you're just going to end up with iOS 7 Safari on it again. And, using another browser won't help as the developers have to use the same coding Apple uses to run Safari.

In other words, this post is nothing more than speculation and a "hang in there" encouragement. I'm sorry to hear of the issue(s). All I can offer is my hopes it gets resolved.

Marilyn

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn, even my mail crashes sometimes, I guess we have to grin an bear it for a while.

Last edited:

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The other possibility is that the iOS 7 version of Safari has problems with certain websites. Personally, I use a very limited number of websites...and with those, I don't see a problem with Safari. However, once you consider lots of people, it is very possible that some people are using sites that Safari is having problems with...and since iOS 7 is knew, people don't know where the place the blame (not saying the problem isn't with Safari, but it gets confusing when you have many variables that impact the problem).

Anyway, you guys can track the crashes to websites? Then stop using that site for a while and see if crashes reduce in number or stop. Find another crash, temporarily stop using another website.

That's all I got. :)
One thing I noticed, a site will crash but then if I go back to its fine and doesn't seem to crash again....odd eh?

Most reactions

Latest posts