What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with Air

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As i said yesterday i cleared my cookies and history and so far no more crashes ( touch wood) try it, it might just work.....i updated to 7.0.4 too.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just installed the 7.0.4 upgrade also. My Air has been running much better since the clean reinstall so maybe this will help a little also. Not a single low memory crash yet today! Crossing fingers........

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am having trouble with multiple crashes, especially when using Safari. I went to the Apple website and under Apple Support
Communities there are numerous discussions involving "low memory crashes", "iOS7 crashes", iPad Air crashes" etc. I was
hoping the new iOS 7.0.4 released today would help, but it did not. I'm thinking of returning mine.
Take advantage of your free 90 day Apple phone support, they may be able to help over the phone....also have you tried any of the fixes in this thread?

Last edited:

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ethanjeffrey is correct. There are many many posts on the apple forums about low memory crashes in Safari.....on all iPads. The feeling is that it is related to iOS 7. They even list several websites that cause the crash on every iPad Air. Sure enough, when I tried the sites on my iPad, I got the dreaded low memory crash. I have until Monday to decide if I'm keeping or returning this one. I kind of like it, but I hate owning a deficient product.

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, owning a defective/deficient product is no fun. Here's my Apple Corp tale of woe: A few years ago I bought an iPod (Gen.3 ?) that quickly became super hot when turned on after just a couple of days of buying it. (The store/military PX informed me that all issues were to be addressed by Apple; they could not, themselves, give me a new replacement and return the defective unit to Apple, per Apple protocol.) Rather than mail it in to Apple, I opted to drive to the nearest Apple store and get a new one as a replacement. I drove 60 miles, the last 10 miles taking 45 minutes in rush-hour traffic (Austin, TX) only to be told by the store rep that they would have to check it out first (it did not matter if she could feel the intense heat within a minute or two), so I was told to come back in a week for a replacement -- not in the same color ("not available"), but for a refurbished one in a color I didn't want. I want to avoid that very inconvenient and quasi-unethical senario from happening again; I'm waiting. From my perspective, I'd return any questionable iPad for a refund, and then later, when the bugs are worked out, buy another. (My wife is the one who really wants an Apple iPad AND an iPod Touch.... I am very "gun shy" about making such a sizable investment in Apple products, based on my less-than-optimal experience.)

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thought i would just update, I continued to have issues with crashing so i rang Apple, in the end after trying things i had already tried it was decided to do a restore, at the moment it is restoring all my apps, hopefully this will have cured it, I will update again when i see hoe it goes.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thought i would just update, I continued to have issues with crashing so i rang Apple, in the end after trying things i had already tried it was decided to do a restore, at the moment it is restoring all my apps, hopefully this will have cured it, I will update again when i see hoe it goes.

I did that at the Apple store. It helps with the problem but doesn't cure it entirely. There apparently is an issue either with the amount of RAM memory or the coding in iOS 7. Maybe Apple will eventually find a cure. I decided to keep my Air anyways. Hopefully that won't prove to be a bad decision.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did that at the Apple store. It helps with the problem but doesn't cure it entirely. There apparently is an issue either with the amount of RAM memory or the coding in iOS 7. Maybe Apple will eventually find a cure. I decided to keep my Air anyways. Hopefully that won't prove to be a bad decision.

I'm not sure the low memory theory holds water, there are reports of people who get low memory messages but don't get crashes, as for the coding theory in IOS 7 if that is the case future updates will hopefully fix that.

Last edited:

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for record we restored my iPad as a new iPad first then installed my apps ect after.

OP
panchucko

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just for record we restored my iPad as a new iPad first then installed my apps ect after.
I also restored to new then installed apps, I only installed apps that I use frequently, if I need the app I install it.

For a few days everything was going good, then all of a sudden the crashes started. They happen quite often.
So I installed chrome to use as browser, everything seemed to be working for last few days, and all of a sudden the crashes start again.
It is only with browsers none of the apps that I use have crashed. I wish I could pinpoint which sites it happens with but I can't. It does happen a lot on Facebook and on a couple of sports forums I frequent

What I have not tried is to restore after updating to iOS 7.0.4, maybe I should

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also restored to new then installed apps, I only installed apps that I use frequently, if I need the app I install it.

For a few days everything was going good, then all of a sudden the crashes started. They happen quite often.
So I installed chrome to use as browser, everything seemed to be working for last few days, and all of a sudden the crashes start again.
It is only with browsers none of the apps that I use have crashed. I wish I could pinpoint which sites it happens with but I can't. It does happen a lot on Facebook and on a couple of sports forums I frequent

What I have not tried is to restore after updating to iOS 7.0.4, maybe I should
Yes i think you should do the update for sure, let us know if things settle down after that please.

Last edited:

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was on my Air quite a bit yesterday and it did crash but just once, I was on it this morning but just for a short time, It would seem that a restore doesn't fix it, hopefully the next update will address it.

Last edited:

NZBred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I set up my Air I set up my Air I restored it from backup (iTunes) I seem to be getting a lot of safari crashes, it happens on any page at any time. I tried reading the logs in the diagnostics but I may as we'll be reading microsofts bsod log Battery, I seem to be getting only about 4 1/2 hours between charges Screen, it seems to get dirtier than my iPad 3 Anyone having any issues?

Yep, there isn't a day where Safari doesn't crash on me. Whether I have '0' apps open or 15' still crashes. As to battery, getting well over 9-10 hours and didn't transfer old iTunes backup to new Air. Have screen protector so don't notice any difference with dirt....

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, owning a defective/deficient product is no fun. Here's my Apple Corp tale of woe: A few years ago I bought an iPod (Gen.3 ?) that quickly became super hot when turned on after just a couple of days of buying it. (The store/military PX informed me that all issues were to be addressed by Apple; they could not, themselves, give me a new replacement and return the defective unit to Apple, per Apple protocol.) Rather than mail it in to Apple, I opted to drive to the nearest Apple store and get a new one as a replacement. I drove 60 miles, the last 10 miles taking 45 minutes in rush-hour traffic (Austin, TX) only to be told by the store rep that they would have to check it out first (it did not matter if she could feel the intense heat within a minute or two), so I was told to come back in a week for a replacement -- not in the same color ("not available"), but for a refurbished one in a color I didn't want. I want to avoid that very inconvenient and quasi-unethical senario from happening again; I'm waiting. From my perspective, I'd return any questionable iPad for a refund, and then later, when the bugs are worked out, buy another. (My wife is the one who really wants an Apple iPad AND an iPod Touch.... I am very "gun shy" about making such a sizable investment in Apple products, based on my less-than-optimal experience.)

Ouch. Not a good sounding experience. I can understand your apprehension seeing as you've had a rough time with this. Apple products are general well made but I have to be honest..... The apple stores and their procedures are a little iffy. Why do you have drive all the way out there and then come back? Why can't they just take people as they come in, especially when the problem is fairly obvious? I dunno, their service is apparently great but I have heard my fair share of questionable stories and outright frustrations. There are other good tablets out there. Perhaps you should take a look at a few?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since I updated to iOS 7 on both my tablets (mini and 3rd gen), Goodreader is one app I use a lot and it crashes a lot. The Goodreader app generated a crash report the next time it is opened after a crash, and I send in the report after each crash. Their inbox must be full with crash reports from me.

Honestly, I think the problem is iOS 7 and apps that aren't somehow properly designed to work under it. I think a lot has changed "under the hood" when iOS7 came along. Apple & app developers will be working on this a while to get things back to normal. I think many can't deal with crashes and will return their new iPads. I won't. I remember the days when Windows crashed everytime you held your mouth wrong. Growing pains. :)

Most reactions