Being sent to the Home Screen when in Safari and Mail

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by caq, Mar 6, 2014.

1. caq

caq
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have the most recent iOS on my new iPad Air and keep getting exited out of Safari and my Mail (not a mail website like Gmail, but the mail app that comes loaded on the iPad Air) to my home screen. It happens quite frequently.

Is this an iOS issue and I have to just accept it until Apple releases a new iOS update, or is this an issue with my iPad air? I am hoping it is not the iPad Air because I have a lot of documents on my GoodReader App that I will have to manually set up again with their proper file folders to match my iPhone setup. I really don't want to have to do that. This particular app does not sync to itself between devices.

We did purchase the Apple Care when we purchased the iPad Air, so it would be replaced without issue if that is the problem. I have read a lot of differing views in this issue but they seemed to be all guesses. I figured that here we have iPad gurus who would know the true answer. There were a lot of answers I found where the pad was just replaced and I am hesitant to have that done if it will be occurring in the next one because of it it really being an iOS issue.

Thanks for any info you can share.

2. markbnh1

markbnh1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    These crashes are a known issue and happen on most iPad Air models. Mine has been crashing out of Safari since I got it back in November. There are hundreds if not thousands of posts about it on the Apple support forums. If you look in "diagnostics" in your settings and bring up the log you will most likely see a "low memory" entry that corresponds to each time this happens. Many many of us have gone back to Apple to have complete reinstalls of the operating system or even replacements of the iPad......none of which does anything to help. There are strong rumors and hope that the iOS 7.1 update due shortly will help or cure this issue. I sure hope so! Personally I have not had the issue with my mail program. Just my take on your question.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

3. caq

caq
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I checked the diagnostics. Found just what you said. I will wait for the update. Thanks again.

4. wytey

wytey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Still getting them with 7.1

Strangely enough, the my other ipad air, an asian model, doesn't do it......

5. therealriley

therealriley
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    It is usually a low memory error. You need to keep about 4gb free for smoother operation. Ive not got the ipad air so i dont get the exact same issues but try the usual things like freeing up memory, dont over fill with apps, delete the app and reinstall it from the appstore, check with the app developer so they can fix any bugs. Also try to not keep so many apps open in the task bar and do a Soft reset every now and again.

6. abababababab

abababababab
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    These problems are mainly associated with RAM and not the Hard disk. All iPads except the iPad 1 has 1 GB RAM.

You can try force closing the apps that you do not need. This always helps in smoother functioning.

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, the iPad 2 only has 500MB of RAM. The iPad 1, and to a slightly lesser extent, the iPad 2 find themselves struggling when attempting tasks requiring a lot of RAM and processing power. As technology continues to advance, older devices find it harder and harder to keep up.

8. Husq250

Husq250
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I have to disagree. I have had an Air for awhile now, read all the posts about "some" folks having these safari crash issues but certainly not all if even most. Mine is a 16GB that has no more than 1(ish) gig of storage available, I use safari and email daily and do not have these crashes. Many others do not as well but of course we don't always get to read on this forum about how things work as they should because it's expected. I personally think its a faulty copy of IOS. If I had as many issues as some report on here I would bite the bullet and do a full iTunes or iCloud back up, wipe the device clean, download a new copy of the IOS and restore from the back up. Or better yet if you have the patience reload all apps and data yourself to possible not restore a debunked app.

Just my opinion.

9. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't seem to affect everyone, I agree there. I've never had safari crashes or issues but I do believe others have. So, if it's really RAM then why aren't all of us affected equally? It's not like some units accidentally got two GB of RAM installed during assembly! And, heavy graphical games run fine and so does everything else. Seems to be a safari thing. I believe the issue is memory management within safari itself and how it interacts with iOS 7.1 and certain websites.

10. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I've followed this for awhile. I've had the Air since it came out, transferred my pad 3 to my husband. Both of us now have 7.1 on our Ipads and Iphones. I had very occasional crashes in IOS7 but maybe only one or two since 7.1. My husband has had none on the Three.

The Three is 64 GB and my Air is 128 GB. I would expect he has maybe 16 GB full and I have about 7O GB full so both of us have lots of room. I close apps regularly, do push mine a lot with moving back and forth between apps, saving to pdfs, annotating, cutting/pasting and am having few issues. Because of the seeming randomness of those having issues and those not I would expect it to make it harder to track down a culprit. So many of us not having issues don't post in the Apple forum and those having "some" issues probably don't either so its hard to assess the extent of the problem. Hopefully those having issues beyond occasional will contact Apple at least to report.

#10 Diane B, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014