Issues with Air

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by panchucko, Nov 11, 2013.

1. panchucko

panchucko iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    When I set up my Air I set up my Air I restored it from backup (iTunes)

I seem to be getting a lot of safari crashes, it happens on any page at any time.
    I tried reading the logs in the diagnostics but I may as we'll be reading microsofts bsod log

Battery, I seem to be getting only about 4 1/2 hours between charges

Screen, it seems to get dirtier than my iPad 3

Anyone having any issues?
  2. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +875 / 0
    Hello - just for starters, did you 'Reset' the iPad after the restoration? If not, then give the maneuver a try - directions below if not familiar w/ the procedure - Dave :)

3. panchucko

panchucko iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the reply, yes I have tried a reset but still no changes.

I am going to restore it, not use my backup.
  4. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    Mine crashes now and then too, A reset doesn't seem to help, It isn't bothering me too much though, i'll see how it goes.
  5. Elux72

Elux72 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    I set up my Air with an iCloud backup (from my Mini) and haven't had any problems (fingers crossed that none will develop) with Safari or anything else, and the battery life has been fantastic...just as good or better than the Mini. As for the screen, well, this may sound a little silly, but where it's brand new, fingerprints, dust, and so on will show up a little more clearly than an older iPad where the screen has acquired a 'lived in' look. I don't know how you clean your screens, but I find a microfibre cloth (such as a glasses cleaning cloth) does extremely well if used regularly. My screens, by the way, seem to get particularly dirty, as I use my iPads for drawing, which means a huge blurry, streaky area of finger painting, in addition to the keyboard fingerprint spots and swiping trails.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Threelions

Threelions iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had a few Safari crashes and two full reboots since I got my Air definitely an issue but .4 is supposed to be out soon maybe that will help.
  7. argon

argon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm waiting for this issue to be sorted out before I make my purchase. Anyone else having similar problems? Threelions -- please let us know how this works out for you, or if you've discovered a different cause of your iPad problems. Elsewhere in the Internet Universe, people with your problems are returning their iPad Airs within their 30-day return period.... it's not very common, and the thinking is is that it's simply bad luck in receiving a defective unit.
  8. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    I think returning the Air for a refund isn't necessary, this is most likely a software issue that can be sorted, I'm going to ring Apple tomorrow and see what they say.
  9. markbnh1

markbnh1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    See my comments in the other memory thread to see what they told me today. Time will tell.
  10. panchucko

panchucko iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I restored my Air, to new didn't use backup.
    This is second day now and I see no issues, I haven't had a Single crash and battery life improved.
    I must have had something installed or had bad settings on on my iPad 3 that we're conflicting with the Air

Another thing I noticed is that when I would tap a link from a web page or Facebook, I had to double tap to make it go, single tap now
    Also when I tapped on a link that took me to a video YouTube or other, the screen would fade in really small then go back to normal, since the restore those issues have disappeared

I so blame my initial issues to something brought over with the iPad 3
  11. markbnh1

markbnh1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I too did a complete reset and restore today at the apple store. I used it all afternoon putting apps back on, using Safari, and had no crashes. Just as I thought all had been fixed I went to a web site that caused all kinds of crashes last night ( actually a favorable review site of the Air) and guess what? A low memory crash again. I don't know why that particular web site is so bad. It even crashed my iPad 2. So, it's much improved with the clean install but not foolproof!

Sent from my iPad Air using IPF
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  12. Husq250

Husq250 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Glad to hear of the improvements. Seems it is software related then? My diagnostics and usage list is getting longer and longer. Not all crash reports but some are starting to show up. I did a restore from my iPad 2 back up which is probably a bad idea considering how old it is but I had a lot of data from apps that I would otherwise have to email it in or Dropbox it in. That would be supper time consuming. However, if I feel my performance is not up to par I'm glad doing a clean set up as new just might help which I would certainly do.
  13. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    Glad to hear you have solved your problem, last night i cleared my cookies and history to see if that helps.
  14. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    The 7.0.4 update is out.
  15. panchucko

panchucko iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ok, on the third day I started getting safari crashes again, it is happening when on Facebook and replying to a thread and trying to attach a photo to the comment. I can make it happen at will.

I hear 7.0.4 is out I may upgrade now
  16. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    As i said yesterday i cleared my cookies and history and so far no more crashes ( touch wood) try it, it might just work.....i updated to 7.0.4 too.
  17. markbnh1

markbnh1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I just installed the 7.0.4 upgrade also. My Air has been running much better since the clean reinstall so maybe this will help a little also. Not a single low memory crash yet today! Crossing fingers........

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF
  18. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    Take advantage of your free 90 day Apple phone support, they may be able to help over the phone....also have you tried any of the fixes in this thread?
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  19. markbnh1

markbnh1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Ethanjeffrey is correct. There are many many posts on the apple forums about low memory crashes in Safari.....on all iPads. The feeling is that it is related to iOS 7. They even list several websites that cause the crash on every iPad Air. Sure enough, when I tried the sites on my iPad, I got the dreaded low memory crash. I have until Monday to decide if I'm keeping or returning this one. I kind of like it, but I hate owning a deficient product.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF
  20. argon

argon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yes, owning a defective/deficient product is no fun. Here's my Apple Corp tale of woe: A few years ago I bought an iPod (Gen.3 ?) that quickly became super hot when turned on after just a couple of days of buying it. (The store/military PX informed me that all issues were to be addressed by Apple; they could not, themselves, give me a new replacement and return the defective unit to Apple, per Apple protocol.) Rather than mail it in to Apple, I opted to drive to the nearest Apple store and get a new one as a replacement. I drove 60 miles, the last 10 miles taking 45 minutes in rush-hour traffic (Austin, TX) only to be told by the store rep that they would have to check it out first (it did not matter if she could feel the intense heat within a minute or two), so I was told to come back in a week for a replacement -- not in the same color ("not available"), but for a refurbished one in a color I didn't want. I want to avoid that very inconvenient and quasi-unethical senario from happening again; I'm waiting. From my perspective, I'd return any questionable iPad for a refund, and then later, when the bugs are worked out, buy another. (My wife is the one who really wants an Apple iPad AND an iPod Touch.... I am very "gun shy" about making such a sizable investment in Apple products, based on my less-than-optimal experience.)