Issues with Air

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by panchucko, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thought i would just update, I continued to have issues with crashing so i rang Apple, in the end after trying things i had already tried it was decided to do a restore, at the moment it is restoring all my apps, hopefully this will have cured it, I will update again when i see hoe it goes.

2. markbnh1

markbnh1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I did that at the Apple store. It helps with the problem but doesn't cure it entirely. There apparently is an issue either with the amount of RAM memory or the coding in iOS 7. Maybe Apple will eventually find a cure. I decided to keep my Air anyways. Hopefully that won't prove to be a bad decision.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

3. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure the low memory theory holds water, there are reports of people who get low memory messages but don't get crashes, as for the coding theory in IOS 7 if that is the case future updates will hopefully fix that.

#23 Poisonivy, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  4. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just for record we restored my iPad as a new iPad first then installed my apps ect after.

5. panchucko

panchucko
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I also restored to new then installed apps, I only installed apps that I use frequently, if I need the app I install it.

For a few days everything was going good, then all of a sudden the crashes started. They happen quite often.
    So I installed chrome to use as browser, everything seemed to be working for last few days, and all of a sudden the crashes start again.
    It is only with browsers none of the apps that I use have crashed. I wish I could pinpoint which sites it happens with but I can't. It does happen a lot on Facebook and on a couple of sports forums I frequent

What I have not tried is to restore after updating to iOS 7.0.4, maybe I should

6. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes i think you should do the update for sure, let us know if things settle down after that please.

#26 Poisonivy, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  7. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was on my Air quite a bit yesterday and it did crash but just once, I was on it this morning but just for a short time, It would seem that a restore doesn't fix it, hopefully the next update will address it.

#27 Poisonivy, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  8. NZBred

NZBred
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yep, there isn't a day where Safari doesn't crash on me. Whether I have '0' apps open or 15' still crashes. As to battery, getting well over 9-10 hours and didn't transfer old iTunes backup to new Air. Have screen protector so don't notice any difference with dirt....

#28 NZBred, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  9. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ouch. Not a good sounding experience. I can understand your apprehension seeing as you've had a rough time with this. Apple products are general well made but I have to be honest..... The apple stores and their procedures are a little iffy. Why do you have drive all the way out there and then come back? Why can't they just take people as they come in, especially when the problem is fairly obvious? I dunno, their service is apparently great but I have heard my fair share of questionable stories and outright frustrations. There are other good tablets out there. Perhaps you should take a look at a few?

10. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Since I updated to iOS 7 on both my tablets (mini and 3rd gen), Goodreader is one app I use a lot and it crashes a lot. The Goodreader app generated a crash report the next time it is opened after a crash, and I send in the report after each crash. Their inbox must be full with crash reports from me.

Honestly, I think the problem is iOS 7 and apps that aren't somehow properly designed to work under it. I think a lot has changed "under the hood" when iOS7 came along. Apple & app developers will be working on this a while to get things back to normal. I think many can't deal with crashes and will return their new iPads. I won't. I remember the days when Windows crashed everytime you held your mouth wrong. Growing pains. :)