What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with Air

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree its mostlikely a software issue, but Im wondering why they have been exchanging them or telling members to exchange them as some members here have reported.
I wonder that too, if I had exchanged this week I would be on my third one, that would be ridiculous, no one can have bought two iPads and both be faulty, maybe it's because the advisors just don't know what else to do, I'm also puzzled that some people have no trouble at all....I am still just keeping one tab open and last night it crashed again, it wasn't a low memory crash this time though.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is strange Ivy I have delivered over 50 iPad airs to customers and not one has contacted us with a problem. So I am at lost to why some users have issues and others do not. My only thought it is a specific model causing issues. If it is fact software then Apple most likely fix it on the next release.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is strange Ivy I have delivered over 50 iPad airs to customers and not one has contacted us with a problem. So I am at lost to why some users have issues and others do not. My only thought it is a specific model causing issues. If it is fact software then Apple most likely fix it on the next release.
Its all very puzzling Col, i had wondered at first if it was just 16GB models but some reports are from people with a higher GB model, I have two days left to exchange at Argos for a brand new one but i can't see the point, I'm sure the same things would happen again, The fact that both the iPads Air's i had exhibited the same behaviour does point to a software issue and not a hardware one, at least i hope it does, I will continue to keep just one tab open as i have only had the one crash since Wednesday.....a slight improvement i guess.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will run tests on our demo iPad Airs with safari and report back. Personally it is my opinion that under a specific condition ie combination of apps open or a specific App is the issue. It appears safari is the problem. I did have a rep come in whom said on his iPhone 5 he had issues with safaris lagging when he had several tabs open. He also said it did not refresh back to where he was. This one confused me as I did not have the same issue on my iPhone 5. In Australia there is no fiscal difference in either iPads and iPhones except the model for cellular is different to USA but unsure about Britain.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will run tests on our demo iPad Airs with safari and report back. Personally it is my opinion that under a specific condition ie combination of apps open or a specific App is the issue. It appears safari is the problem. I did have a rep come in whom said on his iPhone 5 he had issues with safaris lagging when he had several tabs open. He also said it did not refresh back to where he was. This one confused me as I did not have the same issue on my iPhone 5. In Australia there is no fiscal difference in either iPads and iPhones except the model for cellular is different to USA but unsure about Britain.
That would be good Col, I ran my Air on Chrome for a few days and it was still crashing (I haven't tried running on Chrome and minimising tabs though) so does that mean it isn't a Safari or Chrome issue but as we have said more an IOS issue?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I agree with your assessment here. There are too many people that don't have any issues for it to be a slam dunk RAM quantity issue. There is no way that high end games and all that would run perfectly but a web browser crashes the device? That's just won't do.

But, there IS clearly an issue that apple needs to loom into. The sooner the better.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment here. There are too many people that don't have any issues for it to be a slam dunk RAM quantity issue. There is no way that high end games and all that would run perfectly but a web browser crashes the device? That's just won't do.

But, there IS clearly an issue that apple needs to loom into. The sooner the better.
Hear Hear!

OP
panchucko

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been testing my wife's iPad air 32gb wifi, and have not been getting any crashes (2 days testing). When we got hers I restored it from iTunes, she had the 16gb iPad II Wifi. So now am really at a loss with it.

I really like my air but this is crazy.

On a side note we bought her air local at a membership club and I ordered my 128gb air from apple.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been testing my wife's iPad air 32gb wifi, and have not been getting any crashes (2 days testing). When we got hers I restored it from iTunes, she had the 16gb iPad II Wifi. So now am really at a loss with it.

I really like my air but this is crazy.

On a side note we bought her air local at a membership club and I ordered my 128gb air from apple.
It really is puzzling, nothing is consistent, since Wednesday i have been keeping just one tab open in Safari and have had only one crash, last night i put it back on Chrome so I'm seeing how that goes now, It does seem to help a little keeping tabs to the minimum.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It really is puzzling, nothing is consistent, since Wednesday i have been keeping just one tab open in Safari and have had only one crash, last night i put it back on Chrome so I'm seeing how that goes now, It does seem to help a little keeping tabs to the minimum.

It's that damned safari.... That's the keyword that keeps coming up in these conversations. Apple has to dig in and rectify this!

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's that damned safari.... That's the keyword that keeps coming up in these conversations. Apple has to dig in and rectify this!
I'm not sure because I had crashes in Chrome too before, so far though with just one tab open in Chrome it hasn't crashed.....so far!!!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure because I had crashes in Chrome too before, so far though with just one tab open in Chrome it hasn't crashed.....so far!!!

Hmmmm..... That thickens the plot then, huh? Could it be wifi related then? Haven't heard much about that though.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmmm..... That thickens the plot then, huh? Could it be wifi related then? Haven't heard much about that though.
I very much doubt its wifi related, more likely something in iOS as has been said, The reasons why it affects some users and not others could be varied and many, we all use our devices differently, we use different sites ect , It certainly is a valid complaint though and it needs addressing by Apple, hopefully they are working on a fix which will come soon.

acostapimps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After reading quite a few post, IMO it could be either a hardware issue with the iPad air (It might be a few bad Airs out there) or software issues that's been plaguing since iOS 7 started. Luckily I'm still on iOS 6

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After reading quite a few post, IMO it could be either a hardware issue with the iPad air (It might be a few bad Airs out there) or software issues that's been plaguing since iOS 7 started. Luckily I'm still on iOS 6

It'd be a nice test to run iOS 6 on an iPad Air and see what happens. That would at least confirm or rule out a few things!

Most reactions

Latest posts