What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enabling "Secret" Multitasking Gestures on the iPad 1

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh! Okay, I will! I've got to go out soon but will definitely try that! Thank you very much!

edcm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
o
FYI, I have multitasking gestures in my unjailbroken iPad 1!!!!! I followed the instructions to jailbreak at RedmondPie with one exception. I used the most recent version of redsn0w, but didn't select the option to "Install Cydia". Instead, I only selected the "Enable Multitasking Gestures" and proceeded. All in all, took a grand total of 2 minutes to complete! So quick and easy, i did my wife's just as easily! Maybe this means I am jail broken, but I don't care! Gestures are back!!!!!

This did NOT work! First of all the instructions at RedmondPie were for Macs only, with a reference back to the original instructions for adding multitasking gestures using iBackupbot. That didn't work. I tried it. Then I found, through RedmondPie another link to another version of Redsn0w which was supposed to work in Windows. I downladed it and ran it as instructed. The options given were "Jailbreak and install Cydia" and "Extras" (everything else). When you click on "Extras" you get a list of things to choose from, but none of them are "Enable Multitasking Gestures".

If you have really enabled the multitasking gestures on the original iPad running the new OS5, please post step by step instructions. I really loved having them and really want them back.

Thanks

Esther
original iPad 64GB 3G

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
o

This did NOT work! First of all the instructions at RedmondPie were for Macs only, with a reference back to the original instructions for adding multitasking gestures using iBackupbot. That didn't work. I tried it. Then I found, through RedmondPie another link to another version of Redsn0w which was supposed to work in Windows. I downladed it and ran it as instructed. The options given were "Jailbreak and install Cydia" and "Extras" (everything else). When you click on "Extras" you get a list of things to choose from, but none of them are "Enable Multitasking Gestures".

If you have really enabled the multitasking gestures on the original iPad running the new OS5, please post step by step instructions. I really loved having them and really want them back.

Thanks

Esther
original iPad 64GB 3G

You used to be able to enable gestures with reds now using the method he provided. But that option seems to have been revoked from the latest redsnow. But I know I had that option when I jail broke iOS 5.

dawz2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
edcm1 said:
o

Thanks

Esther
original iPad 64GB 3G

First of all, I used the instructions for jailbreaking iOS 5.0 found at RedmondPie. Very simple. Went like this...I downloaded latest version of Redsn0w (from the RedmondPie link)...downloaded final IPSW release of iOS 5.0 for the iPad (also linked at RedmondPie)...ran Redsn0w...followed on screen instructions to enter DFU mode...unmarked the "Install Cydia" box...marked the "Enable Multitasking Gestures" (I guess this is missing in the most recent version)...clicked OK...let it run and I was done! When I get a chance, I will post which version of Redsn0w I used.

P.S. it was dang nice using gestures to flip back and forth between Safari and iPF while typing this post!

dawz2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dawz2 said:
First of all, I used the instructions for jailbreaking iOS 5.0 found at RedmondPie. Very simple. Went like this...I downloaded latest version of Redsn0w (from the RedmondPie link)...downloaded final IPSW release of iOS 5.0 for the iPad (also linked at RedmondPie)...ran Redsn0w...followed on screen instructions to enter DFU mode...unmarked the "Install Cydia" box...marked the "Enable Multitasking Gestures" (I guess this is missing in the most recent version)...clicked OK...let it run and I was done! When I get a chance, I will post which version of Redsn0w I used.

P.S. it was dang nice using gestures to flip back and forth between Safari and iPF while typing this post!

Sorry, for the delay! Just got back into town. The redsn0w file name I downloaded was "redsn0w_win_0.9.9b7". Hope this helps in someway!

edcm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, for the delay! Just got back into town. The redsn0w file name I downloaded was "redsn0w_win_0.9.9b7". Hope this helps in someway!

*sigh* This was the one I downloaded as well and it didn't work. I see that you jailbroke your iPad, too. This is something I do not want to do. Oh, well. I guess I'll have to wait until someone else figures out another way. I wish I was more tech savvy, but I'm not. Thanks for getting back.

dawz2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
edcm1 said:
*sigh* This was the one I downloaded as well and it didn't work. I see that you jailbroke your iPad, too. This is something I do not want to do. Oh, well. I guess I'll have to wait until someone else figures out another way. I wish I was more tech savvy, but I'm not. Thanks for getting back.

Technically, since I have used an external source to modify the original configuration of iOS 5, I guess I have jailbroken my iPad. There will never be another way to get this feature unless Apple decides to release it to our dinosaur iPads!

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right after the statement from Apple regarding the iOS 5 battery life issues and the promised software update “in a few weeks”, the company just posted a beta of iOS 5.0.1 to developers. It’s unclear what’s new in this beta, but it’s very likely testing will focus on battery life before the update is released publicly.

Update
: According to the first reports surfacing on Twitter, it appears iOS 5.0.1 beta restores multitasking gestures on the iPad 1 (a feature that wasn’t available in the public release of iOS 5), resolves various bugs with iCloud and, as mentioned above, fixes battery life issues. Pre-release software is only available to registered developers, and users will be able to upgrade wirelessly to iOS 5.0.1 once it comes out “in a few weeks”.

iOS 5.0.1 is available now in the iOS Dev Center.

Last edited by a moderator:

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey that's great news! I'm not having battery troubles but I would love the Multi gestures back.

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right after the statement from Apple regarding the iOS 5 battery life issues and the promised software update “in a few weeksâ€, the company just posted a beta of iOS 5.0.1 to developers. It’s unclear what’s new in this beta, but it’s very likely testing will focus on battery life before the update is released publicly.

Update
: According to the first reports surfacing on Twitter, it appears iOS 5.0.1 beta restores multitasking gestures on the iPad 1 (a feature that wasn’t available in the public release of iOS 5), resolves various bugs with iCloud and, as mentioned above, fixes battery life issues. Pre-release software is only available to registered developers, and users will be able to upgrade wirelessly to iOS 5.0.1 once it comes out “in a few weeksâ€.

iOS 5.0.1 is available now in the iOS Dev Center.
That's good news indeed...hopefully they'll address some of the other issues besides Multitasking Gestures including the underwhelming Music App, etc.

edcm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: According to the first reports surfacing on Twitter, it appears iOS 5.0.1 beta restores multitasking gestures on the iPad 1 (a feature that wasn’t available in the public release of iOS 5), resolves various bugs with iCloud and, as mentioned above, fixes battery life issues.

This is wonderful! Thank you!!!

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there another hack that enables iPad TV mirroring, and verbose booting without jailbreaking.

Sent from my interestingCompanionPad

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there another hack that enables iPad TV mirroring, and verbose booting without jailbreaking.

Sent from my interestingCompanionPad
Not for the original iPad. Although various websites including LifeHacker originally thought that the redsn0w hack that allowed multitasking gestures (without JB) on the original iPad with iOS 5 would also enable true AirPlay Mirroring on the original iPad, it wasn't true.

FWIW AirPlay mirroring may never come to the original iPad due to the processing power and RAM required to run it. I suspect Apple's fairly high standards for performance wouldn't allow it due to the latency that would occur, but that's just my WAG. They may be able to tweak it enough to be acceptable and implement it after all.

Most reactions