What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How To Get NEW Multitasking Gestures In iOS 4.3 | iPad 1 & 2

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5mcxeHEGg[/ame]​

As promised, here is a video of how to install the new iPad multitasking gestures that were in the iOS 4.3 Beta. To do this you simply have to to download and install xCode 4 from the Mac App Store. xCode will run you $4.99 so be sure you really want these gestures, it's like paying for a tweak, not that xCode isn't useful.

Once you have downloaded the 4 GB+ file, install it, and plug your iPad in. Now go to your iPad tab in xCode and click "Use For Developement". xCode will enable Development Mode on your device and now you have the new gestures(you can turn them off in Settings-General).

If an easy, free, way come out on how to do this, we'll be sure to keep you posted.

goalweiser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Phil. Thanks for the info. Do you mind if I post your videos on my blog? I'm going to link back but some people like to keep this stuff on the hush so I'm just checking before I do anything nuts. LoL

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As promised, here is a video of how to install the new iPad multitasking gestures that were in the iOS 4.3 Beta. To do this you simply have to to download and install xCode 4 from the Mac App Store. xCode will run you $4.99 so be sure you really want these gestures, it's like paying for a tweak, not that xCode isn't useful.
Once you have downloaded the 4 GB+ file, install it, and plug your iPad in. Now go to your iPad tab in xCode and click "Use For Developement". xCode will enable Development Mode on your device and now you have the new gestures(you can turn them off in Settings-General).

If an easy, free, way come out on how to do this, we'll be sure to keep you posted.

You can use xCode 3 to do this and it is a free download from Apple.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a cool feature but 4GB is way too much just for some gestures. Hopefully a downsized or more storage efficient version will come out. Or even a jailbreak app/tweak. I do like the ease of the gestures, I know they would come in handy. I just can't see burning up 4gb of space just for those few gestures.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have some questions. Is the xCode tweak a one off or does it work in conjunction with iTunes and the developer mode will be removed in you uninstall xCode?
Also, can it be run independently of iTunes i.e. could I use a friends Mac with xCode to set the iPad into Developer mode and continue to sync on my Windows laptop with iTunes?

patrickj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
justanotheripadblog.com
This is great stuff - love being able to use these gestures again after they were stripped from final public release of 4.3.

Thanks for the tip. I just posted on this at my site and linked to you / thanked you of course. My site is Just Another iPad Blog, you can find the post there, it won't let me insert the link here because I'm brand new to this forum.

NakedFaerie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't worry, as soon as 4.3 is jailbreaked there will be a tweak for it not long after.

When crApple release an iOS with missing features like this the helpful jailbreaking community always release fixes to give you those features crApple should've in the first place.

There is already a way to run iMovies on the iPad 1 which crApple wont let you but it runs fine on it, just crApples way of forcing old users to upgrade their devices.

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did this with the free version of Xcode gotten from the apple developers website. You don't have to get the $4 version from the AppStore for this to work. However if you don't already have Xcode then you might have to pay for it.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I busted my hump trying to get this to work in Windows 7 64 bit and after 2 days, I give up.

I'm far from a slouch when it comes to technical things, but this just wasn't worth more than I've spent on it.

Jailbreak + Cydia = Solution without having to monkey around with things.

I just can't wait until I have to replace my PC. It's going to be with a mac and then I'll never have to worry about this again... ever...

Reaction score
Reaction score

Most reactions