What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enabling "Secret" Multitasking Gestures on the iPad 1

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm confused (nothing new). My Apple TV2 is on v4.3 and it says it's up to date. Did you mean they released 4.4.1 and the pulled it and then re-released it again? In any case, my ATV2 thinks it's up to date.

Since the redsn0w "hack" talked about enabling AirPlay Mirroring (as well as gestures) for the iPad 1/Apple TV2, I'm wondering if mirroring will actually work with 4.4?

sorry, rushed when i entered that info, not far off though, i said 4.4.1, but here goes........they released 4.4(it is actually iOS 5 in our books), it was crashing/bricking apple tv's, so they pulled it, and later released a 4.4.1 which fixes that.

About Apple TV (2nd generation) software updates

im guessing for airplay mirroring to work, you need to be updated.

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry, rushed when i entered that info, not far off though, i said 4.4.1, but here goes........they released 4.4(it is actually iOS 5 in our books), it was crashing/bricking apple tv's, so they pulled it, and later released a 4.4.1 which fixes that.

About Apple TV (2nd generation) software updates

im guessing for airplay mirroring to work, you need to be updated.
Interesting. When I check my ATV2 says it's up to date (w/4.3). It was jailbroken at one time...restored to original. I wonder if that's affecting it? Think I should connect it to iTunes and run a full restore?

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whoo, Whoo, Whoo, as you US chappies say! Got my gestures back on Ipad1 thanks to the latest instructions on page 1 of this listing. Many thanks, very pleased and I now love my Pad again!

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Read the updated original post and viewed the video.

Is there a Windows version of this tweak yet?
There's a link in the LifeHacker article to a Windows friendly method. They hadn't tested it and no one here has either so I opted not to post it until someone can verify that it works. It's a bit more complicated, but if you're up for it, please post your results. TIA!

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whoo, Whoo, Whoo, as you US chappies say! Got my gestures back on Ipad1 thanks to the latest instructions on page 1 of this listing. Many thanks, very pleased and I now love my Pad again!
Isn't it great? Congrats and enjoy!

tbotcotw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LifeHacker, and many others, are confusing display mirroring and airplay mirroring. There's been a hack that updates a .plist to allow display mirroring, via HDMI, on the iPad 1 almost since the iPad 2 was released. This new redsn0w hack does that and enables multitouch gestures... it doesn't turn on airplay mirroring, which is the mirroring-over-wifi feature released in iOS 5. AFAIK there is not yet a way to do airplay mirroring on anything other than the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S.

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LifeHacker, and many others, are confusing display mirroring and airplay mirroring. There's been a hack that updates a .plist to allow display mirroring, via HDMI, on the iPad 1 almost since the iPad 2 was released. This new redsn0w hack does that and enables multitouch gestures... it doesn't turn on airplay mirroring, which is the mirroring-over-wifi feature released in iOS 5. AFAIK there is not yet a way to do airplay mirroring on anything other than the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S.
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

Regarding AirPlay Mirroring, that is correct and why we didn't reference it (other than a link to the LifeHacker article) on the first post.

Welcome again and enjoy!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has Robert got back to us yet on gestures using windows?

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
PCUK said:

Have you used Mac or Windows?

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has Robert got back to us yet on gestures using windows?

I only replied to his question about an hour ago, so I wouldn't expect to hear anything for a bit.

Aren't you feeling brave today? ;)

Have you used Mac or Windows?

I'm pretty certain it would have been with a Mac as his post indicates that he used the instructions on the first post...there aren't any Windows instructions there.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Won't be able to do it until this weekend, if I do try it.

Not sure about downloading, installing and running a piece of software from a site I haven't heard of and can't find any evidence of anyone else running it.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update:

Not going to do it.

The site you eventually get referred to for the Windows version, Copybot, has instructions that don't even mention iOS 5.0.

It requires iOS 4.3 or 4.3.1.

It has not been updated since the release of iOS 5.0 and the most recent comment on the page is dated August of 2011.

I'd warn everyone off about the Windows version at this time as it's not been updated and I can't prove anyone's done it with iOS 5.0.

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Won't be able to do it until this weekend, if I do try it.

Not sure about downloading, installing and running a piece of software from a site I haven't heard of and can't find any evidence of anyone else running it.
FWIW the Mac version worked flawlessly.

Most reactions

Latest posts