What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multitasking gestures issue

anonchi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With multitasking gestures enabled, ive noticed that whenever I swipe with four fingers to another app, it takes a couple of seconds before I can actually use the app... Is this a problem with just my iPad or is this a universal thing?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you notice this effect when you switch apps the 'normal' way or is this something you only observe using multi-gestures? If so, what happens if you turn off multi-gestures?

Tim

OP
A

anonchi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried it out and it doesn't happen when I switch apps through the multitask bar..the app switching animation is a few seconds shorter using the multitouch gestures so I guess it doesn't have as much time to load as when you switch using the multitasking bar... This'll probably be fixed when the multitasking gestures are officially released

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They were included in the Developer's release of iOS but Apple internally turned them off for the public release. However, some people have found a way to re-enable them without jail breaking. If you have enabled them - to do this you need access to a Mac computer, a PC won't do - then there's a facility in the 'Settings' menu to turn them on or off.

Tim

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried it out and it doesn't happen when I switch apps through the multitask bar..the app switching animation is a few seconds shorter using the multitouch gestures so I guess it doesn't have as much time to load as when you switch using the multitasking bar.
I have the same experience...when swiping with multitouch gestures the programs take about two seconds to become responsive whereas when changing with the multitask bar they are active almost immediately.

My pleasure! :)

Reaction score
It seems unlikely that the 2sec delay will be fixed, at least on iPad 2. The reason being that it takes some time to load the app's frozen state.

The swipe gesture let's you move to another app directly, meaning you see it's interface when the app itself hasn't even finished loading. But when using the multitaskbar, it first shows an animation of the app moving into the foreground.

The reason I am mentioning this is, to note that the multitaskbar is not a faster way of switching between apps, it only feels faster, because the brain gets temporarily distracted by the app opening animation.

Last edited:

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have the same problem. I think it's why they haven't released it as a public release because of the perception that apple is slow. Not the kind of thing you relate to apple. I thunk if the apps where ready for use or updating while not in use the battery life would suck.

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you take your iPad2 to an Apple store can they enable gestures for you?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

They will not do this. It is unsupported. You have to do it yourself. There are instructions in posts in this Forum. It's easy, but you need access to a Mac.

Tim

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score

They will not do this. It is unsupported. You have to do it yourself. There are instructions in posts in this Forum. It's easy, but you need access to a Mac.

Tim

haha i wish i could pay someone on the forum to do it for me--i'm afraid i'll delete an important file and mess something up. I'm not overly computer-savvy when it comes to stuff like that

Reaction score
Broseph said:
haha i wish i could pay someone on the forum to do it for me--i'm afraid i'll delete an important file and mess something up. I'm not overly computer-savvy when it comes to stuff like that

You cannot do anything wrong.

On Mac, it is completely fail proof and on windows you only need to add two short lines to a .plist file. Worst case scenario would be that the gestures aren't activated.

Either search for XCode3, or ibackupbot and you can have the gestures activated on the iPad within the next 10min.

ctsluder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I have them and have add since it was posted on here, and I have pc so I can't turn them off if I want to is what everyone is saying since I don't have a Mac?

Most reactions

Latest posts