What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enabling "Secret" Multitasking Gestures on the iPad 1

dawz2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
robertlc said:
That's cool!

But the instructions for the Windows version are outdated and shouldn't be attempted by anyone.

Someone needs to let that website know.

I have followed the Windows instructions using iBackupbot and can confirm that it does NOT work with iOS 5.0. Did not have adverse effects, it simply did not enable the multitasking gestures.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pity! I've never enabled gestures but I know they would greatly enhance my experience. I was hoping Apple was bringing them in ios5. Maybe they will after they've sorted out any problems with latest update? Here's to hoping!
And no Rich, I'm not brave enough. You know why! I had enough problems updating my iPad (3days) without causing anymore disruption. I went into melt down without my paddy for that period.
Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have followed the Windows instructions using iBackupbot and can confirm that it does NOT work with iOS 5.0. Did not have adverse effects, it simply did not enable the multitasking gestures.

Thanks for the research.

If anyone has an account at lifehacker, they should let them know those instructions are outdated and don't work for iOS 5.0.

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the feedback...very valuable! :thumbs:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for info, the latest official version of redsn0w has the multitasking gesture option, so anyone using that can enable the options. You don't have to use any special version for the iPad1 if you are already using redsn0w. I used the official 0.9.9b7 to enable them and it works. The good news for Windows users is that it is available for your OS too...
The latest redsn0w can always be downloaded from the official source which is the dev-team blog - Dev-Team Blog - redsn0w iOS5beta

Last edited:

tbotcotw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just for info, the latest official version of redsn0w has the multitasking gesture option, so anyone using that can enable the options.

That requires that you actually jailbreak, though. The good thing about the hacked version is non-jailbreakers can use it, especially important right now when the only jailbreak available is tethered.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That requires that you actually jailbreak, though. The good thing about the hacked version is non-jailbreakers can use it, especially important right now when the only jailbreak available is tethered.

If you don't boot tethered and don't install anything from cydia it will act like a normal iPad.

tbotcotw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't boot tethered and don't install anything from cydia it will act like a normal iPad.

Interesting. You can enable multitouch gestures with the standard redsn0w (without jailbreaking), and you can enable HDMI display mirroring with a simple .plist edit... so the entire result of the Lifehacker post is just to muddy the Google waters for iPad 1 owners that want to use airplay mirroring, and make it seem harder than it is for Windows users to turn on gestures. Thanks, Adam Pash!

dawz2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI, I have multitasking gestures in my unjailbroken iPad 1!!!!! I followed the instructions to jailbreak at RedmondPie with one exception. I used the most recent version of redsn0w, but didn't select the option to "Install Cydia". Instead, I only selected the "Enable Multitasking Gestures" and proceeded. All in all, took a grand total of 2 minutes to complete! So quick and easy, i did my wife's just as easily! Maybe this means I am jail broken, but I don't care! Gestures are back!!!!!

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FYI, I have multitasking gestures in my unjailbroken iPad 1!!!!! I followed the instructions to jailbreak at RedmondPie with one exception. I used the most recent version of redsn0w, but didn't select the option to "Install Cydia". Instead, I only selected the "Enable Multitasking Gestures" and proceeded. All in all, took a grand total of 2 minutes to complete! So quick and easy, i did my wife's just as easily! Maybe this means I am jail broken, but I don't care! Gestures are back!!!!!

I don't suppose you have a simple step by step account of how you did this? I've never done anything like this but I really wanted gestures and feel denied now! Please?

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

vbriggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read conflicting posts about whether or not this hack also enables mirroring on iPad 1. Has anyone actually done this, and did it enable mirroring? I am not interested in the gestures but really want mirroring. Thanks..

OP
R

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read conflicting posts about whether or not this hack also enables mirroring on iPad 1. Has anyone actually done this, and did it enable mirroring? I am not interested in the gestures but really want mirroring. Thanks..
Yes I have used this hack and it does NOT enable AirPlay Mirroring on the original iPad. To date you still have to jailbreak your iPad to do that. I believe there are some discussions about it in our forum's Hacking area...

iPad Hacking

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you have forgotten I'm a Windows girl and that is only for mac owners! Thanks anyway!

dawz2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you have forgotten I'm a Windows girl and that is only for mac owners! Thanks anyway!
I am very sorry! I can't believe I forgot to mention that I did use a Windows PC!!! I won't re-hash a tutorial, but you can follow the easy to understand steps found at RedmondPie.com. Only, make the changes I mentioned in my earlier post and you are golden! And all done on my PC!

Most reactions