Best note taking app for iPad

Discussion in 'Productivity Apps Forum' started by mach5k, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Peteo

Peteo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Right now my choice for writing notes on the ipad (not typing) is notes plus.
    Seems to have the best use of Ink & zoom mode. (Penultimate has better ink but no zoom mode makes it worthless for taking allot of notes)

2. blessed

blessed
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone tried "Daily Notes +Todo?" I like how it's set-up and I love the "tab" features. It reminds me a lot of my antiquated "daily agenda" book Thoughts please from other users..........................................

3. ginopiazza49

ginopiazza49
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have used, and still use, Daily Notes. I really like it for keeping, sort of, a brief diary. However, diary aside, Daily Notes is nicely styled! It has a nice collection of fonts, as well as, colors.

4. blessed

blessed
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Great!! Thanks for the input. I've been on the ledge with this one, but today I will finalize my decision.

5. teheuti

teheuti
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Practically perfect Notability

I love Notability because I prefer typing to handwriting and the ability to indent for outlines, but I can still use a drawing or diagram on occasion. And rhe recording with text markers is just what I wanted. However, it's not quite perfect.

It still needs:
    1) a camera function so you don't have to leave the app to take a picture of a whiteboard or display.
    2) to be able to rotate a picture.
    3) better image placement optiions as I can't place pictures side-by-side even if there is plenty of width available.

Thanks for a great program - I just recommended it on my blog for consultants who want to provide their clients with notes and a recording following a meeting.

#225 teheuti, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  6. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I agree with 3 but not 1. I normally make images and save them to the camera roll with abandon as a means of swapping data around so a moment of instant task switching doesn't bother me so 1 isn't too important. You can continue recording audio in Notability while you are banging away in another app.

I agree with 2 but there is a work around. Locate the image in the saved roll, rotate the iPad, use your fingers to spread and crop the image then take a quick screenshots holding power and tapping Home. Insert the new image in Notability. Who said you needed cropping or rotating software?

A work around for 2 and 3. There is no law that you can not switch to Pages while recording audio in Notability and then use Apple Pages superior note taking and image media controls like mask. When finished make Pages full screen to hide tool bars etc., make screen shot of the whole shebang and drop that into your Notability masterpiece spreading the image to take-up a full page.

Think a little outside the box of old PC computer rules of one app for everything. BTW you can insert many PICTURES in Pages with a simple copy and paste from Safari and other apps. Hold you finger for several seconds or try double tapping your image to bring up a copy command. Both work at times.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

7. teheuti

teheuti
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I agree with all this (and thanks for the tip on rotating images in Photos). If I'm working on a longer project I might do all of your suggestions, but my ideal scenario is that I can record a session with a client, include typed notes and quick sketches or diagrams, and take a photo of the current state of our work/project, and then email it to the client as they are leaving and before my next client sits down. Notability is the closest I've come to having everything I need and doing it elegantly.

Anyone know of a better app for these purposes?

8. dannybarley

dannybarley
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I don't need to use an app with such specification as you but to suggest a note taking app:

Penultimate is a good app, it let's you draw and hand-write words as opposed to typing them. However it is only for drawing/hand-writing and there are no facility to record, etc. You can choose a number of colours and thicknesses. The good thing is there is you can email yourself what you draw with no problems. It sends it as a full image with very crisp detail, when you print it off there is no silly Penultimate logo anywhere, just your notes! simple! I suggest having a look yourself as there are other little features. It's only 59p

Also Pages is good to type words and add and edit pictures. It can easily be exported as a .doc format and easily emailed to anyone if needed. obviously a bit more expensive but it does a lot more things and is worth the money.

Attached Files:

#228 dannybarley, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  9. Rzepkanut

Rzepkanut
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Note taker hd is the best note taking app overall.

It has amazing camera support for iPad2 and it's very fast.

The smoothness and speed is important if you want an app that will keep up with you while in a meeting.

10. mobi1

mobi1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I use Sundry Notes and it is free too.:)