What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note taking app and scan handouts

djc45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to find an app that lets me take handwritten notes in a specific notebook, or type text, but will also allow me to import a PDF of a handout that I have scanned using the iPad camera, into part of the existing notebook. I would also like to be able to annotate over the PDF part of the notebook.

Essentially, what I want to be able to do is to take notes in a notebook and scan my paper handouts into the same notebook, being able to handwritten or type into the notebook.

Does anyone know of any app that can do this.
Thanks
Duncan

LadyFoxbriar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My favorite app for note taking is evernote. It is free and is available on every platform as well as accessible through a downloadable pc program or web-based version. My students also love Evernote and report that they like it better than keeping a notebook or journal.

In regards to what you are wanting to do there are a few things that Evernote can do for you. When I am in meetings and given notes that I know I will not keep I will take a picture of them with the Evernote app and it will embed the pictures into my notes. My students love this because they can take a picture of my power point rather than typing everything or take a picture of the lab they are doing for later reference.

As for PDFs ...I don't think I've seen an app that can take pictures and turn them into PDFs yet, but there might be one out there. However, I have emailed myself PDFs and I can open thm in Evernote and embed them into my notes. I think you can attach most basic files to your Evernote notes.

It's a free app and it even has a sister app called Skitch which allows you to create drawings then import them into your evernote. It's pretty cool. I hope that helps!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at the app NoteShelf $5.99, USD). It's one that I really like for taking handwritten or typed notes. Plus, you can organize your notes into sub folders, so you can keep topics together. NoteShelf also let's you import photos from your Photo Album, which you can then write on, should you wish. And, you can export a notebook to Evernote, Dropbox, your computer, etc., for easier viewing, sharing or saving.

Then, there is an app called Doc ScN - PDF Document Scanner HD (free download with a $3.99 in-app purchase for more features. I've only used the Pro on my iPhone, but the free one on the iPad allows you to save a PDF to your Photo Album (accessible from the Photo app) as a picture. Then, you can import that picture into that NoteShelf app. So, you can have both scanned PDFs and Text/written notes in one notebook.

There are more apps that do what you are asking. These are just the two that I use. I am sure more folk will be along to give you their input. Good luck in your search and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

SKP1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using an iPad for education is a great idea. Recently, approximately 20 miles from here last year - we had tornados rip through the area. The big city brought in a large number of iPads for the students to use in high school since the school was destroyed. iPad is a wonderful tool for students to use in the situation as well as everyday use.

this man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I've had problems with Evernote myself with it being slow and the notes disappearing while they sync. But that could be because of the 3G signal in my part of the world.

I've just started using Notability on my iPad 2, after using GoodReader for a few months. I found GoodReader doesn't have a global search function while Notability does have that. Although I'll be in a better position to judge Notability after I've used it for a few weeks.

Stone10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I know about some note taking apps for notebook which are appropriate with your requirements i think so. These are Evernote, Simplenote and Springpad.
[h=3][/h]

SKP1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have heard one of the neatest benefits of using Everynote is the ability to find things fast. Searching by keyword is one way as well as by adding tags to your files.

I think it is really amazing now days that applications can take hand written notes and read them, so to speak.

drnhlau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LadyFoxbriar said:
My favorite app for note taking is evernote. It is free and is available on every platform as well as accessible through a downloadable pc program or web-based version. My students also love Evernote and report that they like it better than keeping a notebook or journal.

In regards to what you are wanting to do there are a few things that Evernote can do for you. When I am in meetings and given notes that I know I will not keep I will take a picture of them with the Evernote app and it will embed the pictures into my notes. My students love this because they can take a picture of my power point rather than typing everything or take a picture of the lab they are doing for later reference.

As for PDFs ...I don't think I've seen an app that can take pictures and turn them into PDFs yet, but there might be one out there. However, I have emailed myself PDFs and I can open thm in Evernote and embed them into my notes. I think you can attach most basic files to your Evernote notes.

It's a free app and it even has a sister app called Skitch which allows you to create drawings then import them into your evernote. It's pretty cool. I hope that helps!

There is this app CamScanner+, take picture and convert to PDF.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notability can open a PDF or take a new picture, or import, then annotate over in free hand.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score

PDFexpert does this with ease, taking a new scan either from the camera or photos is a hidden feature,but does work , love this app!

Get it here

chaipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bombaycharlie said:
I think Notability does this. I use it and write over top of all types of docs

This has also been my experience. You can definitely embed photos, handwritten notes, type notes, open PDF's and annotate.

Most reactions

Latest posts