What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app on iPad? Notes?

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So...ever since getting the iPad I have been trying out various note taking apps that use hand writing. I've pretty much decided that each app has something over the other apps. None of them have all the feature I want but you combine 5 different apps and you have a winner.

Today I was in a meeting trying to decide which app for this particular note taking session. I tried three and realized real fast I was missing things as I skipped between the apps.

I opened the stoke "Notes" and started typing and suddenly realized...it does everything I want...it records notes. Simple and intuitive. And I can type really fast in that thing!

All the money I wasted on note taking apps and the free one is now my preferred goto app.

Justbsayin.

Nate

chiffchaff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I arrived at a similar solution, except that I combine it with Evernote’s organization and search capabilities. Basically I use Notes as my input app because it's a really quick, clean interface that doesn't get bogged down trying to sync while I'm using it (I have poor cell coverage in many areas locally). When the note is finished I mail it to Evernote where I can tag, file in a notebook, edit, quickly retrieve as a reference doc, or whatever else I need to do with it. I used to just write the notes in Evernote in the first place but had occasional crashes and delays when it would save a note in progress. Using Notes avoids that.

Last edited:

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still keep Penultimate on my first screen. Quick and straightforward. And I've settled on Notes+ for anything more complex. The built in Notes app is great at straightforward text, but doesn't draw. Penultimate draws, doesn't type. For my purposes,, often quick one or two word scrawls, it's perfect. For something more complex and considered, Notes+ does text, drawing, sound recording. Quick and easy.

I did a blog post or two on my search for a Notetaking app...

Justin Brock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a thought, check out Notability. It allows for audio recordings to be synced and amplified with notes. You can also customize your text with size, font, bold, bullets, colors, etc. Insert pictures, web images, and hand drawn images in addition to exporting your notes in pdf+audio or just pdf format with drop box. Soon it also will support iDisk and webDAV.

thomasw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a thought, check out Notability. It allows for audio recordings to be synced and amplified with notes. You can also customize your text with size, font, bold, bullets, colors, etc. Insert pictures, web images, and hand drawn images in addition to exporting your notes in pdf+audio or just pdf format with drop box. Soon it also will support iDisk and webDAV.

Thats what I was thinking exactly.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question, I like writing short stories also working on a few longer ones, I want to start using my ipad. What would you guys say for the right app? ewven if its paid I dont mind as long as it will work for what I want it for.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Writing? iAWriter.

Thank you for the fast response! That looks exactly like what I am after, thanks!!

Edit: Just bought it and installed, perfect for what I wanted, thanks again!

Last edited:

ahoni2118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone knew if there is an app that can convert handwriting to text (like what tablet pc's can do) so that you can save as a word document or something

Thanks!!

Beamit2rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahoni2118 said:
I wanted to know if anyone knew if there is an app that can convert handwriting to text (like what tablet pc's can do) so that you can save as a word document or something

Thanks!!

"writepad" found in the app. Store does a pretty good job.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Justin Brock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the feedback

Thank you to everyone providing feedback on note taking apps. A quick update on Notability:

Ginger Labs continues to update Notability with the most-requested features.

Notability 2.06 is a big update and includes these new features:

- RTF and RTFD file types to edit notes on a computer.
- iDisk and WebDAV backup and sharing services.
- Batch upload of all file types to online services and iTunes, as well as batch printing.

Here is a link for more information. Please do not hesitate to contact us with thoughts and suggestions. Notability for iPad on the iTunes App Store

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own and like Notability, but I also really like Chapters and Penultimate. There's actually a lot of good apps for note taking. Including, the sleeper of them all (in my opinion) - the simple mobile version of UberNote. I have tried EverNote and Springpad, but for simple usability and simplicity (and its outliner format), UberNote is a killer. The mobile version is full of features and is fast - or faster - than most note taking apps.

Oh, and I had to add: it's free.

Last edited:

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is Notibility and Ubernote only available through the iPad app-store? I tried to find it on my iPhone w/o any luck. ;-(

Evernote is good so far and Onenote won't open. Looking for the one that clicks for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is Notibility and Ubernote only available through the iPad app-store? I tried to find it on my iPhone w/o any luck. ;-(

Evernote is good so far and Onenote won't open. Looking for the one that clicks for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notability is for iPad only. UberNote is a website. The mobile version is as fast, or faster, than many apps. Check out this page on their "tour"...it gives you a good idea. https://www.ubernote.com/webnote/pages/blogdemo.aspx

Most reactions

Latest posts