What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hand written Note taking to text app

Boblins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on an easy to use app that I can take into a client meeting and hand write notes/minute and then have it convert to text and I can email it also from the app.

Is anybody able to help e out please.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at Write Pad. But be prepared for a learning curve, both for yourself and for the app. Not sure about the requirement to email directly from the app.

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ooh my first proper recommendation! Take a look at Note Shelf. It's a beautifully designed app, my favourite in fact. You can make multiple notebooks, the hand writing is very easy, you can actually enlarge the writing area then shrink it back when you've written, it comes with dozens of pen colours, pencils, highlighters, you can choose the paper tape, forms, designer papers etc. it is a brilliant app.

OP
B

Boblins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all. I will go and have a look at all of these

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Note Shelf and find it to be OK for simple handwritten notes but unless I'm missing something rather fundamental about it, NoteShelf doesn't meet the OP's requirements by any stretch. His fundamental requirement is that his handwriting be converted to (typed) text as I understand it. NoteShelf doesn't do that. In fact, as far as I know it does not even allow typed text to be entered.

I did download PhatPad on the basis of the recommendation above and it does seem to meet the OP's requirements. I'll withhold judgment until I've worked with it a bit more but the interface (so far) is problematic as far as I'm concerned. Cannot figure out, for example, how to use or even identify the "erase gesture." And the conversion to typed text options seem cumbersome to use. But as I said, I've only worked with it for about 45 minutes at this point.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Take a look at My Script Memo. Has a terrific OCR capability that turns scribbled notes into typed text. The best I've seen for iPad. There is a free version to try it out. The paid version allows you to email the memo from the app. Only issue is that the memo can only be one page long. Still it works very well for grabbing brief notes to turn into emails. Has some other nice features too.

Never, never, never give up -- Winston Churchill

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been using 7Notes HD Premium for a couple of weeks. It, too, has excellent handwriting recognition coupled with predictions based on a user's use of phrases. i.e. If one frequently types "The quick brown fox..." 7Notes will recognize "The quick" and suggest "fox" as the next word before it is entered. I've found its user interface to be considerably more intuitive than PhatPad (which incorporates the functionality of WritePad.)

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ooh my first proper recommendation! Take a look at Note Shelf. It's a beautifully designed app, my favourite in fact. You can make multiple notebooks, the hand writing is very easy, you can actually enlarge the writing area then shrink it back when you've written, it comes with dozens of pen colours, pencils, highlighters, you can choose the paper tape, forms, designer papers etc. it is a brilliant app.

I tried that app and as far as I can tell, it does not convert handwriting to text. Does it? I did not like it so I did not explore its features. So if I am wrong, sorry. The op wants an application to convert his writing to text. As do I.

Interesting that I once owned a Vadem Clio and that was one of the truly cool devices in my past. My first Tablet Device. It converted writing to text using Windows CE and other software. The resulting doc was a Word doc I could send over modem. I miss the device, frankly.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been continuing to look at handwriting conversion apps. Tried MyScript Memo but as far as I can tell it can only be used in portrait mode. Right? I've also found that I much prefer real time conversion of words rather than post-note-taking conversion of entire passages. So for the moment, I still find 7Notes HD Premium to be the best of the bunch I've tried. YMMV, of course.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think 7Notes uses the MyScript engine, I could have sworn I heard that here in one of the multitude of note taking threads.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think 7Notes uses the MyScript engine, I could have sworn I heard that here in one of the multitude of note taking threads.

I believe that's correct. At least I'm sure that several of the handwriting recognition apps share the same recognition engines. Not sure who should get the credit for being the originator. In any event, I prefer the 7Notes user interface. It rotates to landscape appropriately. I believe that is not true of MyScript Memo.

Most reactions

Latest posts