What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

shoequeen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have just finished reading through this very extensive thread to find that one APP may not be out there that meets our requirements but I thought I would put out a list just in case someone has come across something close.

Requirements in order of priority:
converts handwriting to text
allows you to search the text
apply a title and date to each note
annotate pictures
link to external sources such as drop box or send to email
record meeting audio with notes

Any ideas?

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have just finished reading through this very extensive thread to find that one APP may not be out there that meets our requirements but I thought I would put out a list just in case someone has come across something close.

Good summary, Shoequeen. The one thing that a lot of people want, but which we may not have articulated well, is that we want to be able to go back later and insert more comments in the body of notes that we wrote earlier. Similar to adding annotations, but not quite the same thing. I would add that to your list.

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score

annotate pictures
Any ideas?

7notesHDPremium converts but I find it cumbersome. I spend more time correcting or re-writing than it is worth. Others like ot, though, but you probably have to have patience for it to learn your handwriting. I don't have that kind of patience or time! I've not found another app to convert yet.

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score

annotate pictures
Any ideas?

7notesHDPremium converts but I find it cumbersome. I spend more time correcting or re-writing than it is worth. Others like ot, though, but you probably have to have patience for it to learn your handwriting. I don't have that kind of patience or time! I've not found another app to convert yet.

johnsmith522

iPF Noob
Reaction score
re

I would like to be able to go paperless and so I'm looking for an app for my iPad which let's me draw, type, add photos, manage my notes and backs it up to the cloud. I'm after an app that simulates the experience of pen and paper the best.

willpower

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Noteshelf is suiting me very well. It's straightforward and easy to use for scribbling down a few notes when I'm talking to someone and want to seem informal. Replaces a pen and paper.

verowm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
after reading the very extensive thread, I'm still undecided of which app to get... but I'd also need a stylus which as someone else already pointed out, seems to be missing info in this thread... any suggestions (which one, where to buy, etc) I'm REALLY new to this need for note taking so basic info is required... thank you!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
after reading the very extensive thread, I'm still undecided of which app to get... but I'd also need a stylus which as someone else already pointed out, seems to be missing info in this thread... any suggestions (which one, where to buy, etc) I'm REALLY new to this need for note taking so basic info is required... thank you!

Believe me, you're opening a completely separate can of worms in asking about a stylus. There are several long, long, long threads dealing with styluses and many, many, many different opinions. Do a search on the Accessories forum and you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know about styluses.

R0ss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an iPad notes app that will turn your handwriting to typed text and export to something other than .pdf?
Ideally export to pages or .doc, .docx etc.

saclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my explorations, I found taht Notebility seems to do the best so far. It has the ability to write, type, draw, add pictures, photos, web pages, and can export to dropbox in PDF or RTF formats. If you export to RTF, it will create a zip file with the RFT text file and the separate graphic file. If you don't need drawings then the RTF export works good, allowing you to pull it up from a PC via dropbox and edit the document. It also has one of the lowest lelarning curves I've seen so far.

Most reactions

Latest posts