What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7: JailBreak Status Thread (Official)

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
7.0.6 has received official support by Evasi0n7. There's no update to the Untether Package in Cydia, which would signify the integration of the SSL changes made to the stock iOS. Hopefully they or another reputable developer will release a package to address this issue.

Does that mean I can update now?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Updated the first post to say that that evasi0n7, version 1.0.6 has been released. This version of the tool will/can jailbreak iOS 7.0.6.

So, please upgrade now to iOS 7.0.6. You'll have the SSL vulnerability fixed AND you'll be able to re-jailbreak. Win win!!

Marilyn

P.S. Just in case, here's how I'll upgrade:

(1) Make a back-up of the iPad

(2) Restore/upgrade to iOS 7.0.6 using the DFU mode and iTunes

(3) Jailbreak with evasi0n7

(4) Use iTunes to "restore from backup" (I do it in this order in case something goes wrong and I have to re-jailbreak - easier to find out before I go through the l-o-n-g restoring apps process)

P.P.S. As a reminder, you can get the IPSW files for iOS 7.0.6 from this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Last edited:

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marilyn-

I have a question about step 4- iTunes restore from backup. In previous JB's, I'd do a backup, then put it in DFU, and restore as new. I then JB, and then connect to iTunes. iTunes immediately does a backup, but since it's restored as new, there's nothing to back up. Now, the data I initially backed up seems to be overwritten by the last backup. Is there a setting in iTunes I'm missing to prevent the backup when I first connect? Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marilyn-

I have a question about step 4- iTunes restore from backup. In previous JB's, I'd do a backup, then put it in DFU, and restore as new. I then JB, and then connect to iTunes. iTunes immediately does a backup, but since it's restored as new, there's nothing to back up. Now, the data I initially backed up seems to be overwritten by the last backup. Is there a setting in iTunes I'm missing to prevent the backup when I first connect? Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks.

It's not really a backup, it's a component of the syncing of your device. Essentially it's a "backup" of your soft data such as Safari bookmarks and history and such, and does not backup anything else. It also does not wipe your previous backups as well

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not really a backup, it's a component of the syncing of your device. Essentially it's a "backup" of your soft data such as Safari bookmarks and history and such, and does not backup anything else. It also does not wipe your previous backups as well

OK, maybe I'm not clear on what the "restore from backup" accomplishes. Can you elaborate what I can reclaim from the backup done in step 1?

I appreciate your patience.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marilyn-

Thanks.

When I do my upgrades/restores this way - I end up with two backups. The one you describe that iTunes makes after selecting "restore as new" and the one you've created. They are both there in iTunes.

The key is to (1) check for the existence of and write down the time of YOUR backup (I check that by going in iTunes to: Edit > Preferences > Devices > [your device]).

Then, after the jail break is done, do the "restore from backup" and pick the one you made (by seeing the older time). iTunes may ask if you want to use a newer backup, so just make sure it's the one you made.

I do have my iTunes set so that it does not automatically sync when I plug in my iDevice. There are two areas to set:

(1) In the Preferences area I mentioned before (Edit > Preferences > Devices > [your device]), I have the box checked that says "Prevent [iDevices] from syncing automatically." Then,

(2) With a device connected, under the Apps tab, I've UNchecked the box labeled "Automatically install new apps."

This way, iTunes does nothing but mount the iPad/iPhone when I plug it in; I control everything iTunes does.

Hopefully, some of that helps or clarifies. Holler back if it doesn't?

Marilyn

kidneyshot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have a question with respect to updating. I have connected my iPad to the iTunes and it says I have an update. I selected for download only since I have unstable internet. Then afterwards I clicked on update and it updated my iPad. With this method, can I go on with JB now? I am currently on 7.0.6 now.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also have a question with respect to updating. I have connected my iPad to the iTunes and it says I have an update. I selected for download only since I have unstable internet. Then afterwards I clicked on update and it updated my iPad. With this method, can I go on with JB now? I am currently on 7.0.6 now.

@Evad3rs haven't addressed the OTA issue with the Evasi0n7 utility. Your best bet is to backup your device, and restore afresh so that the jailbreak will guarantee to succeed as oppose to the chance of it working. If it ends up not working from your current update, you'll end up having to restore anyways, so it's best to just get the front load off rather than going through twice the work

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For those that are still on iOS 7.0.5 and below, and do not want to upgrade to 7.0.6, there's an SSL patch that was made that patches the vulnerability, so if you're looking to stay on iOS 7.0.5 or below, you can either install this deb package using iFile or MobileTerminal. I'll try to get it on the repo I made for iPhone/iPadForum use ASAP, but the host is acting up and the mini server I ordered hasn't arrived yet so I can't host it on my own accord as of yet.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Updated the first post to say that that evasi0n7, version 1.0.6 has been released. This version of the tool will/can jailbreak iOS 7.0.6.

So, please upgrade now to iOS 7.0.6. You'll have the SSL vulnerability fixed AND you'll be able to re-jailbreak. Win win!!

Marilyn

P.S. Just in case, here's how I'll upgrade:

(1) Make a back-up of the iPad

(2) Restore/upgrade to iOS 7.0.6 using the DFU mode and iTunes

(3) Jailbreak with evasi0n7

(4) Use iTunes to "restore from backup" (I do it in this order in case something goes wrong and I have to re-jailbreak - easier to find out before I go through the l-o-n-g restoring apps process)

P.P.S. As a reminder, you can get the IPSW files for iOS 7.0.6 from this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

What happens when I upgrade to 7.0.6 OTA?

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A jailbreak tweak was just released to add a patch to the SSL bug. Is this by any chance made by willerz?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There's one made and being hosted on BigBoss by Ryan Petrich and is included in the repo that I use for the ILEX RAT tutorial. (http://itiaprepo.com/willerz2) The repo will have 2, one by Linus Yang, one by Ryan Petrich. The Petrich one is identical to that on the Big Boss Repo and is just there for archive purposes or if BigBoss is temporary down for some reason. If you installed Linus Yang's SSL patch and want to use Petrich's patch, uninstall Linus's patch prior to installing Petrich's. You only need one, don't install both.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What happens when I upgrade to 7.0.6 OTA?

If you are already jail broken, you can't upgrade OTA (the evasi0n tool suppresses that ability on a jail broken device). This prevents accidentally upgrading ... or trying to.

You can update via iTunes (versus upgrade) but it leaves behind some old files. Your best bet is to restore a new/fresh iOS 7.0.6 using the DFU mode with shift/restore.

Marilyn

P.S. My opinion: the "fix" to the SSL security breach is an excellent stop gap measure. However, if I may strongly suggest - upgrade to iOS 7.0.6 as soon as you can. Yes, it'll be a pain to restore and re-jail break (though somewhat alleviated by the various backup packages available on Cydia). But, in the long run, you will have a much more secure device - which will be on the latest iOS [and jailbreakable].

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are already jail broken, you can't upgrade OTA (the evasi0n tool suppresses that ability on a jail broken device). This prevents accidentally upgrading ... or trying to.

You can update via iTunes (versus upgrade) but it leaves behind some old files. Your best bet is to restore a new/fresh iOS 7.0.6 using the DFU mode with shift/restore.

Marilyn

P.S. My opinion: the "fix" to the SSL security breach is an excellent stop gap measure. However, if I may strongly suggest - upgrade to iOS 7.0.6 as soon as you can. Yes, it'll be a pain to restore and re-jail break (though somewhat alleviated by the various backup packages available on Cydia). But, in the long run, you will have a much more secure device - which will be on the latest iOS [and jailbreakable].

I ratehr not restore. I would just download a jailbreak tweak that patches it just like what willerz said. I have always tried to avoid trying to restore as wi-fi here is terrible and I am having problems with back-ups and unfortunetly no one was able to help me.

Most reactions