What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7: JailBreak Status Thread (Official)

Apple2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am very new to apple products. I am having ipad mini. Should I jailbreak at this point? Can anybody simplify the procedure for me? I have updated to ios 7 via OTA. I shall be much thankful.

Sent from my ZP950H using Tapatalk

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am very new to apple products. I am having ipad mini. Should I jailbreak at this point? Can anybody simplify the procedure for me? I have updated to ios 7 via OTA. I shall be much thankful.

If you're new to jailbreaking or the iOS sandboxing structure, it's recommended that you not use the iOS 7 jailbreak as it's not as forgiving as the iOS 6 and below jailbreaks.

Apple2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're new to jailbreaking or the iOS sandboxing structure, it's recommended that you not use the iOS 7 jailbreak as it's not as forgiving as the iOS 6 and below jailbreaks.

Thank you very much willerz2 for your help. But one day I have to do that. The reason why I was unhappy with my ipad mini buy was, that I was unable to do what I wanted to do with my ipad mini. I am all time Android user and the first thing I do with my Android, is to root it.
You can say that for the time being it is not advisable because it may be premature but one day I have to do it.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you very much willerz2 for your help. But one day I have to do that. The reason why I was unhappy with my ipad mini buy was, that I was unable to do what I wanted to do with my ipad mini. I am all time Android user and the first thing I do with my Android, is to root it.
You can say that for the time being it is not advisable because it may be premature but one day I have to do it.

You can play around with it, but just be warned that it's extremely unforgiving. You can manually theme your device, but you cannot develop widgets without a developer beta version of MobileSubstrate. If you wish to proceed with it, restore the device afresh using iTunes (can be done by following this sticky), then jailbreak using this sticky. Make sure you backup your device prior to restoring.

Apple2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can play around with it, but just be warned that it's extremely unforgiving. You can manually theme your device, but you cannot develop widgets without a developer beta version of MobileSubstrate. If you wish to proceed with it, restore the device afresh using iTunes (can be done by following this sticky), then jailbreak using this sticky. Make sure you backup your device prior to restoring.

Thank you very much once again. One thing I couldn't understand that the link provided say that use itune restore only if the restore on your device fails?

I have few questions to clarify:

1) Does restore means to restore the device to it's original os like mine was 6xxx before ota update to 7.0.4..

2) why not to use the device restore?

Shall be thankful for further help.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you very much once again. One thing I couldn't understand that the link provided say that use itune restore only if the restore on your device fails?

I have few questions to clarify:

1) Does restore means to restore the device to it's original os like mine was 6xxx before ota update to 7.0.4..

2) why not to use the device restore?

Shall be thankful for further help.

No, the restore will merely erase your device as if it came fresh out of the box. BUT - it will not put a different iOS on it. Your iPad will still be on iOS 7.0.4.

You can't use the device restore as there is nothing there. Your device is already on iOS 7.0.4 - so you must use iTunes to put a version on there. If your iOS was on your device because you put it on via the iPad and the over the air function, the jail break will not work. That is why you must use iTunes.

Lastly - if I may. I join with the others to urge you wait for the jail break to be more stable before doing the jail break yourself. Yes, the tool works well to jail break your iPad. However, nothing on Cydia (the jail breaker's AppStore) has been updated. In fact, Cydia itself has not been updated for iOS 7.

I believe you will have a much better experience in jail breaking if you wait for the updates to Cydia. We'll update the first post in this thread when that happens.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed. Unless you know exactly what you're doing and plan on developing or beta testing, the iOS 7 jailbreak is at least 3-4 months too early for decent compatibility if this scenario reflects the iOS 6 timeline.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Lastly - if I may. I join with the others to urge you wait for the jail break to be more stable before doing the jail break yourself. Yes, the tool works well to jail break your iPad. However, nothing on Cydia (the jail breaker's AppStore) has been updated. In fact, Cydia itself has not been updated for iOS 7.

I believe you will have a much better experience in jail breaking if you wait for the updates to Cydia. We'll update the first post in this thread when that happens.

Marilyn

If we jailbreak the device now and dont install any tweaks. Wait for the cydia store to update. Then is that fine? At least there wont be any chance Apple might update to 7.1 and we dont have a jailbreak at all. I know its xmas time but who knows they might.

Sent from my iPad 2 white 64 gb (ios 5.0.1) using iPF

Apple2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, the restore will merely erase your device as if it came fresh out of the box. BUT - it will not put a different iOS on it. Your iPad will still be on iOS 7.0.4.

You can't use the device restore as there is nothing there. Your device is already on iOS 7.0.4 - so you must use iTunes to put a version on there. If your iOS was on your device because you put it on via the iPad and the over the air function, the jail break will not work. That is why you must use iTunes.

Marilyn

WOOOOOOOOW, Thanks a lot for your suggestions and good clarification. I will wait then till it is stable.

Apple2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed. Unless you know exactly what you're doing and plan on developing or beta testing, the iOS 7 jailbreak is at least 3-4 months too early for decent compatibility if this scenario reflects the iOS 6 timeline.

Thanks to willerz2 also for offering a helping hand. Very good community.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If we jailbreak the device now and dont install any tweaks. Wait for the cydia store to update. Then is that fine? At least there wont be any chance Apple might update to 7.1 and we dont have a jailbreak at all. I know its xmas time but who knows they might.

Sent from my iPad 2 white 64 gb (ios 5.0.1) using iPF

That's an option. When a new version of Cydia is pushed out, you can update via Terminal command. Supposedly, Saurik is pushing out the new Cydia build update via Cydia. Personally I'd recommend just completely re-installing it via Terminal from scratch to be safe. The iOS X.1.Y builds from history presents us with a fuller more completely version of the iOS, and generally takes a little more time for it to be developed, tested and pushed. I wouldn't expect nothing short of a February release unless they decide to push out 7.1 as a spontaneous hotfix for something.

Evasi0n7 I have running on an iPhone 5 on 7.1 beta 2. The exploits may be patched in 7.1 beta 3 and on, or with the final release of 7.1, it's still too early to tell at this point, but it most likely won't be as spontaneous as within the week just to patch Evasi0n7.

Also, a PSA for iPad 2 (Wifi) owners (both the original iPad 2 and the rev. A models). Evasi0n7 1.0.0 is not compatible with the iPad 2 at the moment, but will be fixed with the next build.

Last edited:

whodaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, a PSA for iPad 2 (Wifi) owners (both the original iPad 2 and the rev. A models). Evasi0n7 1.0.0 is not compatible with the iPad 2 at the moment, but will be fixed with the next build.

So does that mean iPad 2 CDMA (wifi / 3g via verizon) is compatible?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes. Strictly the Wifi models. It's on and off. Some users report it working, some don't. More non-working than working

Sent from my iPad Mini via Tapa

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So basically update to IOS 7.0.4 as this is the most recent IOS ( before IOS7,1 comes out and just wait for cydia to work ) ?

Must the phone / Pad be restored or can I Jailbreak on top of an existing Jailbreak, I.E not lose all stuff on the phone and just use evasion over existing JB ?

Most reactions