What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Can't Find the Printer ???

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:rolleyes::eek: To begin with I'm somewhat Computer Illiterate and have been slowly learning a few tricks on the iPad. Doesn't help that I do suffer from the Fat Finger Syndrome..lol.. Since everyone in the house has an iPad of their own I bought a Canon MX452 Air Printer..We do of course have WiFi in the house..Problem is the iPad can't find the Printer...I have tried unplugging the Printer's power source, unplugged the modem & cable..Left everything alone & unplugged for a few minutes...But to No Avail, with Printer turned on, click Print on my iPad, then click Find a Printer, message comes back Can't Find Printer...What am I Missing, Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a short question to make sure that this was done also: did you setup Wi-Fi connection on your printer?

OP
NorPlan

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a short question to make sure that this was done also: did you setup Wi-Fi connection on your printer?
That is where I believe my problem may lie ?? With the Canon setup instructions in hand I've tried clicking or scrolling to find Setup Mode but I seem to be missing something...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to setup the connection on your printer, if this one works similar to mine, without connecting it to a computer or router via USB cable.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How to setup Wi-Fi on the printer:

Press the Setup button on the printer. (The one with the tools.)
Use the arrow keys to select Device Settings and press OK.
Select LAN Settings and press OK.
Choose Wireless LAN Setup and press OK.
Select Standard Setup and press OK.

Last edited:
OP
NorPlan

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WEP Key ???

How to setup Wi-Fi on the printer:

Press the Setup button on the printer. (The one with the tools.)
Use the arrow keys to select Device Settings and press OK.
Select LAN Settings and press OK.
Choose Wireless LAN Setup and press OK.
Select Standard Setup and press OK.

I followed your instructions, everything was fine till the end..It asked to Enter the WEP key...Abbreviations ???

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I followed your instructions, everything was fine till the end..It asked to Enter the WEP key...Abbreviations ???

Basically the WEP key is the security code setup in your router.

Connect to the router (192.168.1.1 for my Linksys) and look under the "Wireless" section of the setup menu. You should find the info there.

OP
NorPlan

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wayword Printer....

Basically the WEP key is the security code setup in your router.

Connect to the router (192.168.1.1 for my Linksys) and look under the "Wireless" section of the setup menu. You should find the info there.

:confused: Thanks, But. My Printer won't go down easy...lol...Question, The WEP Key ?? We have Bell DSL, when the Tech hooked us up he asked us to generate some numbers..In the Bell Setup Manual he wrote down those numbers under WEP..The WEP number is not something that is generated by the Manufacturer as a Bar Code per say ah ?? I'm hung up, I punched in the WEP key correctly and screen came back Invalid Code....???

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
:confused: Thanks, But. My Printer won't go down easy...lol...Question, The WEP Key ?? We have Bell DSL, when the Tech hooked us up he asked us to generate some numbers..In the Bell Setup Manual he wrote down those numbers under WEP..The WEP number is not something that is generated by the Manufacturer as a Bar Code per say ah ?? I'm hung up, I punched in the WEP key correctly and screen came back Invalid Code....???
You need the security code that you also had to enter to access Wi-Fi with your iPad.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Chances are those numbers he had you generate are what he used for the WEP code but they may have been the password instead.

Last edited:
OP
NorPlan

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chances are those numbers he had you generate are what he used for the WEP code but they may have been the password instead.

:thumbs: I checked with the ISP and Yes the WEP key is a Password...As the Printer is primarily my responsibility with the ISP we reset the WEP key which only means any other iPad will need that Code to access the Printer...But Unfortunately I'm totally stumped..Printer comes back again Invalid WEP Code ???:mad:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try to enter it once more. Maybe there was something wrong (0 instead of O, e.g.).
On my Canon printer, I had to enter the code (a very long key) twice, because the printer didn't accept it at first.

OP
NorPlan

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try to enter it once more. Maybe there was something wrong (0 instead of O, e.g.).
On my Canon printer, I had to enter the code (a very long key) twice, because the printer didn't accept it at first.

:eek:. Believe Me I've done everything in the way of Retracing my Steps short of Giving My Head a Shake..My i's are dotted and my t's crossed..As this whole exercise stems from the iPad not finding the Printer....Typing in the Setup on the Printer keyboard in proper sequence ... What gets me when the screen asks to search for the Access Point , press Ok and the screen comes back with the correct Access Signal..In theory the Printer found the Modem , but when you type in the WEP key ...Not a Valid Code is the reply.....The ISP has double verified I am typing in the correct WEP key and I'm not suffering from the Fat Finger Syndrome...???....

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you also checked to connect to the right router/network, I don't have any idea what else could cause this.
The best solution would be to contact Canon support.

Last edited:
OP
NorPlan

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Access Point

If you also checked to connect to the right router/network, I don't have any idea what else could cause this.
The best solution would be to contact Canon support.

:eek: That's where I'm at following the process clicking Find Access Point , answer comes back showing the Printer has found the Correct Router / Network :rolleyes: I've tried going on the Canon website , Honestly once I can squirt around all the Ads advertising a Quick Fix to my problem for So Much $$$ Down..And giving Canon my life history before I process my Query...Then....But Hey Thanks for your Comebacks...

Most reactions

Latest posts