What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't get AirPrint working with AirPrint enabled printer.

sullivan0067

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
If anyone could help with this I would be eternally grateful - it's doing my head in!! I recently brought an AirPrint enabled Canon MG5350 Wi-Fi all in one printer. It's set up, and prints wirelessly with every other computer on my home network but my iPad can't find it!!... I've double checked everything. Is anyone else having the same problem using this printer?

Using:
  • iPad 2 with iOS5 [tried also with iOS4 and same]
  • Canon MG5350 Printer [AirPrint approved]
  • Belkin 802.11g Router
Thanks in advance...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, first welcome to the forum! :) Sorry about your problem - seems that w/ Air Print compatibility that the iPad should just print!

Second, have you gone through the troubleshooting suggestions on Canon's website HERE - not sure that it will help but worth checking through the list, if not already done - please post back if you find an answer; I'll probably be updating my old computer and printer soon! :)

OP
S

sullivan0067

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and also the info! I had searched Canon support but didn't find this article. Ill try this and if not I might reinstall printer etc again and I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again...

PS: I will probably never print from my iPad/iPhone but it is just annoying me at this stage!!!...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Boy, that is irritating especially if the printer is suppose to support Air Print - maybe the Canon FAQs will help - good luck?

Currently, I have a Canon Pixma and am printing from my iPad w/ a program called FingerPrint (HERE)- puts a program on your computer and via Wi-Fi simulates Air Print - has worked great for me - just a consideration if you must print from your iPad - let us know if you resolve the situation - thanks.

OP
S

sullivan0067

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorted at last! It was a driver issue. As a new printer advertised as airprint I assumed it would come with correct driver. Required ver.2 of printer driver to enable AirPrint. This was hidden in a package called 'printer software update ver.1'!! The article you mailed led me to it - eventually! Works perfectly now - thanks again...

augsburger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Sullivan, My Ipad/ Ipod cannot detect the printer, my PC can. Though by downloading the easy-photoprint app, my Ipad (but not my Ipod) can detect the printer.
Where did you find that driver update to ver. 2. It's not on the Canon web-site...?

augsburger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Sullivan, My Ipad/ Ipod cannot detect the printer, my PC can. Though by downloading the easy-photoprint app, my Ipad (but not my Ipod) can detect the printer.
Where did you find that driver update to ver. 2. It's not on the Canon web-site...?

With the help of Canon-support I found the driver. Printing directly from Ipad now - fantastic!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The answer is in this sub forum.
http://www.ipadforums.net/airprint/51124-printing-new-canon-printer-mg6250.html?daysprune=60

Many times threads may not show up just alter the search under the forum and you often find answers or just search canon...

The out of the box new canon's require driver rom upgrade to work. This is because ios5 etc came after the printers were manufactured. It is my understanding that by jan they will have most inventory up to date

When you purchase ANY add on device such as printers, scanners or what ever it is a good idea to check for updates as the media shipped with the printers etc isv produced less frequently than the hardware and is only updated usually every 3-6 months

OP
S

sullivan0067

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get to you a little earlier on this one, as was away from internet over the weekend. Glad you got sorted. You do really need to go looking for driver updates etc on the Canon site. Enjoy!...

Vitautas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get to you a little earlier on this one, as was away from internet over the weekend. Glad you got sorted. You do really need to go looking for driver updates etc on the Canon site. Enjoy!...

Ver. 2.000 and later versions of the printer software(firmware) support AirPrint.
Yes, for firmware upgrade you need to looking canon site for program "Printer Update Utility" .
You can find this there "support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0400043702.html" for MG5300 series.

Biddy63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say thanks! I was also having trouble printing to my new Canon MG6250 from my new iPad2...followed your advice, updated the firmware and now it works great.
Will certainly recommend this forum to my iPad using friends.
:eek:

mchllcppl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Biddy63 said:
Hi

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say thanks! I was also having trouble printing to my new Canon MG6250 from my new iPad2...followed your advice, updated the firmware and now it works great.
Will certainly recommend this forum to my iPad using friends.
:eek:

The best printer for the iPad is an hp w eprint. You can printer to your print even if you are away from home!

zbest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having problems printing to my HP6500A plus wireless printer from my IPAD2 also. What I have found is that APPLE apparently uses a special protocol called BONJOUR to find and print directly to a compatible wireless printer. This protocol I guess is not supported by all routers. The problem seems to be trying to identify a wireless router that also supports BONJOUR. I have tried calling Cisco support and they are next to useless when I asked for list of compatible routers. Has anyone found such a lust? I can only identify two for sure. One made by Apple and the brand new, just released, Netgear Wireless Extreme. Are there any others that people are using that they have been successful with? Thanks.

nikism

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, can you please let me know how you managed to do it. I'm struggling to find what I need to download.thanks!

bjb148

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here! After AT&T U-Verse tech installed the latest version of their router, my IPad 2 won't recognize the HP Photosmart 7510 AirPrint printer with eprint. Haven't called any support yet. Am I going to have to get ATT to install another router?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions