1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

AirPrint problems, can't find printer

Discussion in 'AirPrint' started by iDan, Nov 22, 2010.

1. iDan

iDan Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93 / 2
    Anyone else having problems trying to print directly from the iPad? I have a HP Officejet Pro 8500A. The printer works via wireless when connected to the pc, but yet the iPad can't find it.

EDIT: I just tried sharing the printer on the mac and the iPad still doesn't see it.
  2. Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yea, won't find mine either. Im guessing it has to be a real wifi printer not a networked one?
  3. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
  4. Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Mac only....ahhhhh
  5. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    There is a windows version out there...check, the googles ;)
  6. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Is there a known list of AirPrint compatible printers?

I've heard Printopia is also a good solution for Mac.
  7. Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yea, I'll work on it. Im not too worried about it printing isn't very high on my priority list.
  8. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    yes there is....a lot of the printing apps stopped working on 4.2 tho...like air sharing printer support no longer works...im guessing they will be using airprint.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. iDan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93 / 2
  10. iDan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93 / 2
    Just downloaded this util, but didn't work for me.

11. lprmcnit

lprmcnit iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I haven't tried it yet, but I'm always leery of programs that "auto discover" printers....it's fine to automatically install drivers, but surely it should be possible to specify a printer mac address, and model and manually install the printer. I hate the "dumbing down" of printer client software...
  12. Squid1012

Squid1012 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    STILL Unable to print after update

New Printing Feature - What a load of S**T...

Help required - I have a HP Photosmart B110 eprint, and after the update on monday night to both iPad and iPod Touch 4th gen, I am unable to print. What was the point of adding this feature if it can not find my printer, or work with any printer. Have the apple staff just wasted there time, or just make the OS have the same functions as a Windows PC, at least I can still print from this device. This is a right pain in the a**, I was really looking forward to this feature. What am I doing wrong. I was told that HP and eprint was going to be the first printer, and with Apple and HP working together on Airprint, what has gone wrong. Why can I not print, am I going to have to wait for yet another update from Apple. So far, I have configured my Wi-Fi network, reconfigured my printer, and nothing. I can still see my printer via the iprint app, and can print (iPad), but not from my ipod touch...same app... What has gone wrong. Please Help
  13. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Do a google search....it has been discussed for the past couple weeks and the fix is available.
  14. Squid1012

Squid1012 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want my HP Photosmart B110 eprint to work. wont find my printer from iPad and iPod Touch. Have Apple staff wasted there time adding this feature to the big update, when people wi-fi printers are not being picked up. Do I have to wait for another update next year to be able to print. I guess I will have to use Windows again. Help Please. Done everything to get this working, reconfigure printer, wi-fi printer and it does not work. what am I doing wrong. Do I have to wait for an update from HP or Apple.....?
  15. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    OMG, ok, I'm going to sticky a thread on this topic...this is getting out of hand
  16. hredwoolf

hredwoolf iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Printopia is the answer!

I just downloaded and installed the demo version of Printopia. It's uncanny. I installed it on an iMac in my study, and a Canon MP480 connected via USB to an AirPort Express unit in another room was instantly recognized.

Well, that's nice, I thought. But how will this information be communicated to my iOS4.2.1. iPad?

The answer is that I have no idea. But when I go into Pages, or Safari, etc, and ask the new printer menu item to find printers, the Canon popped up.

I proceeded to print a page, and it worked fine. Bingo. Wireless printing from my iPad. And no code changing a la Hacktivate (which I tried first with no success).

Printopia - Share Your Mac's Printers to iPhone and iPad - Print from iPhone - Ecamm Network

The cost of the full version is $9.99.
  17. knock

knock iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just went and bought a brand new HP Photosmart Plus e-AiO (B210a) printer.
    This is one of the AirPrint compatible printers listed in the online iPad user guide (last bookmark in Safari bookmark list) and my newly 4.2.1 updated iPad WILL NOT PRINT to it!
    I can print via wifi from my desktop PC and my laptop PC. The printer connected to the Internet and downloaded/installed an update. The iPad see's the printer. I can select the printer when selecting "print" from the action arrow. The iPad returns a message saying "Connecting to B210 series Printer" and sits there for several minutes. It then goes away and the print settings icon appears in the multitask menu with a status of "printing." Finally, a dialog box pops up saying the printer is offline....I then successfully print another test page from my laptop.
    I have restarted the iPad, restarted the router and printer and finally unplugged and replugged the printer. The iPad will not print.

Everything else seems to be working with the new 4.2.1 update. Any ideas?
  18. Smoke_Family

Smoke_Family iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    8500A also will not work

Cannot get ipad to find air printer. Seems to be no settings to even start looking.
  19. Smoke_Family

Smoke_Family iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    THe HP iPrint app still works fine for my HP 8500A.. just thought things might get easier..
  20. Smoke_Family

Smoke_Family iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "AirPrint is a next-generation Wi-Fi print architecture that dramatically simplifies printing by completely eliminating printer drivers," Apple said in its announcement, emphasizing the user-friendliness for which the company is known.
    What Apple did not highlight is that AirPrint works on only a very small subset of available wireless printers, 11, according to Apple's AirPrint information page, all of which are made by Hewlett Packard & Co. Anyone with one of the many wireless printers available from Lexmark, Epson, Canon, Brother or Samsung won’t be able to use the service. Nor does AirPrint yet work with most of HP's other wireless printers, including any of its lower-cost Officejet models.
    A post from PC Magazine notes that six more HP models, including Officejets, will be available after Dec. 27, and that Apple will support other manufacturers "down the road." Apple did not immediately respond to questions about which manufacturers would be supported, or when.
    Meanwhile, devices running iOS 4.2, the newest version of Apple's mobile operating system, will see an option to "Print" Web pages, e-mails and documents, but unless you've bought one of the select printers, all "Print" will get you is the screen shown above.