What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't get AirPrint working with AirPrint enabled printer.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BettiBz said:
I'm having the same problem. With my Epson...was told it has to be connected to WiFi and have no idea now todo that

Have a look at any instructions that came with the printer, possibly the manual is on the included disc. Otherwise look up your model on Epson's website and download a copy. BTW, it needs to have wireless capability.

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't have a puter to download disc. Manual gave advice for Windows or Macs. No mention of I pad

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BettiBz said:
Don't have a puter to download disc. Manual gave advice for Windows or Macs. No mention of I pad

The manual will tell you how to put your printer onto the wifi network rather than USB cable direct to PC, On the proviso that it has wifi capability. Once it is connected to your wifi router wirelessly, you can fire up the Epson app and it should see the printer.

What is the exact model of your printer?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi BettiBz - so far you've left a number of confusing posts (such as the one above about having no 'puter') and also little information about your printer. First, what is the model of your Epson printer - then check for its Apple AirPrint compatibility http://[img height=340HERE; if the printer is compatible (and the firmware is updated - check the Epson website) and is attached to a Wi-Fi network, then you should be able to print from a number of apps on your iPad.

NOW, if your printer is NOT one compatible w/ AirPrint, then another solution is needed (and there are many); for myself using a Canon Pixma on my Wi-Fi network, I use a program called FingerPrint HERE - simply requires a small program (at a nominal fee) to reside on your computer (nothing on the iPad!); the printer must be on & connected to your Wi-Fi network. Good luck and again provide us some more information if still a problem! :)

louisapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hi BettiBz - so far you've left a number of confusing posts (such as the one above about having no 'puter') and also little information about your printer. First, what is the model of your Epson printer - then check for its Apple AirPrint compatibility http://[img height=340HERE; if the printer is compatible (and the firmware is updated - check the Epson website) and is attached to a Wi-Fi network, then you should be able to print from a number of apps on your iPad.

NOW, if your printer is NOT one compatible w/ AirPrint, then another solution is needed (and there are many); for myself using a Canon Pixma on my Wi-Fi network, I use a program called FingerPrint HERE - simply requires a small program (at a nominal fee) to reside on your computer (nothing on the iPad!); the printer must be on & connected to your Wi-Fi network. Good luck and again provide us some more information if still a problem! :)

Hi
I am having the same problem. I have just bought an Epson XP-102 to use with my Ipad and no idea how to configure it for wifi. Like BettiBz I don't have a computer or CD player so can't play the supplied cd (which I understood I wouldn't need anyway).
I have been to the epson website but the online manual is just the same as the one supplied with the printer giving no info on wireless connection.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Louis

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi
I am having the same problem. I have just bought an Epson XP-102 to use with my Ipad and no idea how to configure it for wifi. Like BettiBz I don't have a computer or CD player so can't play the supplied cd (which I understood I wouldn't need anyway).
I have been to the epson website but the online manual is just the same as the one supplied with the printer giving no info on wireless connection.

Hi Louis - if you check the link in my previous post concerning AirPrint compatible printers, your Epson XP-102 is not on the list, so this is not an option. About the only way to use that printer w/ the iPad is the way I print from my iPad to a Canon PIXMA printer, i.e. explained in the second paragraph using a program 'on my computer' called FingerPrint; a home Wi-Fi network is also a requirement.

Thus, the only way to use your current Epson printer w/ your iPad is to attach the printer to a computer (e.g. via USB), have a home Wi-Fi network, and also some software that will allow printing from the iPad - sorry.

In fact, even if you bought/exchanged your current printer model for one that is AirPrint compatible, both the new printer & your iPad would still need to be on the same Wi-Fi network according to this Apple KB Article - maybe others who might have solved this printing issue will 'chime in' w/ more advice - good luck! :)

Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As Giradman mentioned, you will at least need to have a wifi router/network to connect your printer to wirelessly. Once the printer is on the same wifi network as the iPad, you can try the Epson iPrint app (if compatible with your printer model).

To get your printer onto your network. You need to go through the on-board set-up for wireless network and you will need to enter the SSID and Passcode.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hp has a direct to print with wifi hotspot built in that is 100% AirPrint compatible
Hp 5520e
This is ideal for any one whom does not have a modem router. Apart from AirPrint hp has an app that allows yu to check cartridges levels etc as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

louisapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hi Louis - if you check the link in my previous post concerning AirPrint compatible printers, your Epson XP-102 is not on the list, so this is not an option. About the only way to use that printer w/ the iPad is the way I print from my iPad to a Canon PIXMA printer, i.e. explained in the second paragraph using a program 'on my computer' called FingerPrint; a home Wi-Fi network is also a requirement.

Thus, the only way to use your current Epson printer w/ your iPad is to attach the printer to a computer (e.g. via USB), have a home Wi-Fi network, and also some software that will allow printing from the iPad - sorry.

In fact, even if you bought/exchanged your current printer model for one that is AirPrint compatible, both the new printer & your iPad would still need to be on the same Wi-Fi network according to this Apple KB Article - maybe others who might have solved this printing issue will 'chime in' w/ more advice - good luck! :)

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I did buy the wrong printer for wifi and have now exchanged it for another model, XP-305, which is wifi compatible but I still have the same problem. As I don't have a CD player I can't play the accompanying CD. I can't believe I'm the only person without a CD player to buy an Epson printer, as the iPad doesn't have one, of course, so how do other people manage to set up their air-play?
Louis

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for your reply. I did buy the wrong printer for wifi and have now exchanged it for another model, XP-305, which is wifi compatible but I still have the same problem. As I don't have a CD player I can't play the accompanying CD. I can't believe I'm the only person without a CD player to buy an Epson printer, as the iPad doesn't have one, of course, so how do other people manage to set up their air-play?
Louis

Hi again Louis - well, your exchanged Epson model above is AirPrint compatible, so you will not need to have a computer; however, both the printer & the iPad must be on the same Wi-Fi network in order to print. Do you have broadband internet accessibility w/ Wi-Fi from where you want to print (assume home)? Dave :)

louisapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave

Yes I have wifi broadband so being on the same wifi shouldn't be an issue. It's just that I'm supposed to register the printer on the Epsom website via the cd and can't do that without a CD player.
Louis

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Louis - well, I would suggest visiting Epson's website on your iPad to see if there is an alternate way to register your printer? If the CD has 'special information' that needs to be read by a computer's CD/DVD player, then you would likely have to visit a friend w/ a computer and register that way.

Now, my question is whether the CD is needed to operate your new printer w/ the iPad - I would suspect not, so check the owner's manual of the printer and let us know if the AirPrint function is working w/ your devices - good luck! Dave

Cycl0ne184

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Setup my Canon MG5350, checked the firmware which is 2.03 so should be AirPrint compatible.

My wife's iPad 3 prints to it no dramas (iOS 5.1.1) but my iPad 2 (iOS 5.0.1) and my iPhone 3GS (iOS 5.0.1) both can see the printer and let you select and attempt to print to it but they eventually come back and report the printer as being offline. Don't especially want to upgrade iOS. Is this a known issue with 5.0.1?

Thanks
Tony

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
As Giradman mentioned, you will at least need to have a wifi router/network to connect your printer to wirelessly. Once the printer is on the same wifi network as the iPad, you can try the Epson iPrint app (if compatible with your printer model).

To get your printer onto your network. You need to go through the on-board set-up for wireless network and you will need to enter the SSID and Passcode.

Have the Epson iprint app. Have gone thru the printer setup,entered SSID and pass code but now I am getting an error message which I didn't get before..but my i pad still finds the printer ...only will not print when I tap print bar.
Was told by Epson that only way to update firmware is with a puter which I do not have. If that is the problem is that true?

Sent from my iPad using iPFt

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BettiBz said:
Have the Epson iprint app. Have gone thru the printer setup,entered SSID and pass code but now I am getting an error message which I didn't get before..but my i pad still finds the printer ...only will not print when I tap print bar.
Was told by Epson that only way to update firmware is with a puter which I do not have. If that is the problem is that true?

Sent from my iPad using iPFt

Could be the app itself, it has been a bit hit and miss since update to ios6. Make sure the app is current as well as your iOS version to 6.

Most reactions

Latest posts