What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my iPad can't find my network printer

Chiocciman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been reading posts all morning and can't find what I need. This is my first Apple device (and I love it) so bear with me.

My iPad is connected to my 802.11N access point. On that wired and wireless network I have two HP printers, 192.168.1.120 and 121. When I request a print job from any application on the iPad it looks, presumably, for connected printers and find none. Unlike Windows, there is no place to create a TCPIP printer with an IP address. Both the iPad and printer works well....they just can't find each other. I bought ePrint from the ap store and entered the IP address but it doesn't see the Laserjet either. HELP!!!

I just found an app called ePrint that looks like I can assign an ip address and print to it?????
UPDATE: I called the printer from my browser and it loads Flash for the HP Jetdirect. Could the problem be that iPad doesn't do Flash? This should be easy.

Thanks
Chuck
ps: I can't believe I stayed with windows all these years.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple have their own proprietary printing protocol called 'AirPrint'. Only a few printers support it at present - HP is one of those that do and you can see if your model is on the list at the Apple web site

Apple - iPad - Print right from your iPad with AirPrint.

If it is there, then you can print directly under iOS 4.2 and 4.3 from apps that support in-app printing, such as Apple's iPad iWorks suite ('Pages', 'Numbers' and 'Keynote'). Not all apps support in-app printing, so you need to check out whether the app you're interested in does. For example, Apple's native iPad 'Calendar' app does not support in-app printing.

If your printer is not on the list then there are third-party apps that can help. Some printer manufacturers have released apps for PCs with their printers connected (i.e. Lexmark). On these models, an app on your PC or Mac 'pretends' to be an AirPrint printer and the app translates the AirPrint printing protocol into a form that the printer understands.

However, there are standalone apps for the iPad and 'Print N Share' is one of the best known. It can print directly from the iPad to a WiFi printer without any PC being involved. It does this by 'pretending' to be an AirPrint printer. It then, similar to the previous case, translates the AirPrint printing protocol to a form that your printer understands.

Most all WiFi equipped printers are supported by 'Print N Share' but even those few that are not are able to print via a PC using, again, a small (free) app that's available from the developers of 'Print N Share'. Once again, this app sits on your PC or Mac and links your iPad to the printer via your PC - meaning, too, that the printer can be WiFi, USB or even Bluetooth. The downside is that the PC has to be switched on.

One 'issue' that sometimes confounds users of 'Print N Share' is that this only works under iOS 4.2 or 4.3 - the iPad's 'multi-tasking' operating system (OS). 'Print N Share' needs to be loaded and running before you can print!! So, if you're going to be doing some printing, you need to first of all fire up 'Print N Share' and leave it running in the background. You can check whether it is running by double tapping the iPad's 'Home' button, to see the tasks that are 'loaded' in the 'Multi-task' menu bar. For various reasons, it's helpful if 'Print N Share' was loaded quite recently. If you haven't printed for a while, use the multi-task bar to 're-activate' it.

Another option is to use your PC as an intermediary between your iPad and your printer. I use the PC app FingerPrint which makes your PC 'look' like an AirPrint printer. You can download a trial version (7 days) to see if it works for you.

Hope this helps, but don't hesitate to post any more detailed questions that you might have.

Tim
Scotland

OP
C

Chiocciman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. Very helpful. I have a laserjet 5 and a deskjet 7600. Both are set up to be run as network printers but neither is wireless capable. I an trying to convert to Apple and, while it appears to be a much better platform, it's way different. Thanks so much for the support. What a great site.

Chuck

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would definitely recommend FingerPrint then. It really is 'plug and play'. You simply download the app to your PC - try the 7-day free version - install it and open it up. It shows all the connected printers and other stuff - like PDF drivers - and you just check the boxes on those you want to be offered to your iPad. That's literally all there is to it.

Next time you're on your iPad (no app needed there for printing) and you're in an app that supports in-app printing, choose print and you'll be offered all the printers that you checked in FingerPrint. FingerPrint simply makes your PC appear like an AirPrint printer and it converts the AirPrint printing protocol to a form that your printers understand. Brilliant...

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let us know how you get on - ---

By the way, I noticed that your location is Dublin, Ca.

Is that the Dublin to the east of Oakland? I have been there many times...

Tim

OP
C

Chiocciman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, I grew up in San Jose then moved north. We are inland about 30 minutes from OAK. I fly out of there all the time. We love Dublin. A great small town with lots of history.

I used ePrint and it worked great, but the hosting PC must be on and active for the print transaction to work. It works well on any Windows PC using network printers (no wireless printers). It worked well, even my laptop, sitting right next to the iPad, but doesn't work when the PC goes to sleep. That really doesn't work for me (or at least I wouldn't use it enough to pay for it). I am going to use Dropbox for the few things that needs to be printed. It works great too.

I have always been a PC guy. I got the iPad to use during an upcoming, long hospital stay. I am totally impressed with Apple. They really know how to keep it simple. Thanks for the help, Tim.

Chuck

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tim - thanks for the comments on FingerPrint - I downloaded the program a few days ago (I believe based on your similar discussion in another thread) - installed on a Windows XP computer, which we keep on unless out of town.

I've just did a few 'test' prints but worked like a charm - will likely make a purchase soon before the trial period runs out! Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts