Can't get AirPrint working with AirPrint enabled printer.

Discussion in 'AirPrint' started by sullivan0067, Oct 13, 2011.

1. rimo911s

rimo911s iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tried setting it to front paper cassette but when I send a print request from the iPad2 it still insists on using the rear paper feed
  2. Nps

Nps iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok thank you found it now. Couldnt find it at first because i was looking at the Software section, when it is actualy on the firmware section, just to help anyone else with searching difficulties :)
  3. rimo911s

rimo911s iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Work round solution

I have determined that the problem lies with the Pages application which for some reason was always instructing the printer to print from the rear paper feed.Apple support were unable to help and simply blamed it on the Canon printer which I knew was unlikely.My simple work round is to e-mail the document from the Pages app to myself as a PDF. I open the e-mail, open the PDF and send it to print - hey presto, the printer selects paper from the front paper cassette!! http://www.islateforums.net/images/smilies/smile.png
  4. nikism

nikism iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi have the same problem! How do I control the size of print and the source- is it controlled by the iPad or the printer?
  5. gangoolie

gangoolie iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you very much.

I bought one of these yesterday afternoon. Spent an afternoon installing the drivers on 3 laptops. Then tried to print from my iPod and iPhone. Jumped on here and searched and voila - a few minutes spent reading through found this post and followed instructions - instead of spending all day sorting this problem out it only took about half an hour. So THANKS!!!
  6. BettiBz

BettiBz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I can't get my Epson printer to work with ipad..how do I get an app for it. It was suggested in another post as the easiest way to get printers to work
  7. dhewson777

dhewson777 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    There is an Epson IPrint app that should work with most new wireless Epson printers. Check online to make sure the one you have is either AirPrint compatible or compatible with the Epson iPrint app.
  8. BettiBz

BettiBz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I saw the iEpson app here but when I clicked it nothing happened...guess printer has to be turned on...really don't know how to make
    It happen
  9. dhewson777

dhewson777 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    Yes, the printer needs to be on to print to it. If it a compatible printer and on the same wifi network, it should detect automatically. The app itself cannot enable the AirPrint or default Print buttons in apps, but you can open documents, photos, and web pages from within the app to print them. It also supports cloud storage such as Dropbox, Evernote, Google Docs and Box.
  10. BettiBz

BettiBz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm having the same problem. With my Epson...was told it has to be connected to WiFi and have no idea now todo that
  11. dhewson777

dhewson777 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    Have a look at any instructions that came with the printer, possibly the manual is on the included disc. Otherwise look up your model on Epson's website and download a copy. BTW, it needs to have wireless capability.
  12. BettiBz

BettiBz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Don't have a puter to download disc. Manual gave advice for Windows or Macs. No mention of I pad
  13. dhewson777

dhewson777 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    The manual will tell you how to put your printer onto the wifi network rather than USB cable direct to PC, On the proviso that it has wifi capability. Once it is connected to your wifi router wirelessly, you can fire up the Epson app and it should see the printer.

What is the exact model of your printer?
  14. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897 / 0
    Hi BettiBz - so far you've left a number of confusing posts (such as the one above about having no 'puter') and also little information about your printer. First, what is the model of your Epson printer - then check for its Apple AirPrint compatibility HERE; if the printer is compatible (and the firmware is updated - check the Epson website) and is attached to a Wi-Fi network, then you should be able to print from a number of apps on your iPad.

NOW, if your printer is NOT one compatible w/ AirPrint, then another solution is needed (and there are many); for myself using a Canon Pixma on my Wi-Fi network, I use a program called FingerPrint HERE - simply requires a small program (at a nominal fee) to reside on your computer (nothing on the iPad!); the printer must be on & connected to your Wi-Fi network. Good luck and again provide us some more information if still a problem! :)
  15. louisapp

louisapp iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi
    I am having the same problem. I have just bought an Epson XP-102 to use with my Ipad and no idea how to configure it for wifi. Like BettiBz I don't have a computer or CD player so can't play the supplied cd (which I understood I wouldn't need anyway).
    I have been to the epson website but the online manual is just the same as the one supplied with the printer giving no info on wireless connection.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Louis
  16. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897 / 0
    Hi Louis - if you check the link in my previous post concerning AirPrint compatible printers, your Epson XP-102 is not on the list, so this is not an option. About the only way to use that printer w/ the iPad is the way I print from my iPad to a Canon PIXMA printer, i.e. explained in the second paragraph using a program 'on my computer' called FingerPrint; a home Wi-Fi network is also a requirement.

Thus, the only way to use your current Epson printer w/ your iPad is to attach the printer to a computer (e.g. via USB), have a home Wi-Fi network, and also some software that will allow printing from the iPad - sorry.

In fact, even if you bought/exchanged your current printer model for one that is AirPrint compatible, both the new printer & your iPad would still need to be on the same Wi-Fi network according to this Apple KB Article - maybe others who might have solved this printing issue will 'chime in' w/ more advice - good luck! :)
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  17. dhewson777

dhewson777 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    As Giradman mentioned, you will at least need to have a wifi router/network to connect your printer to wirelessly. Once the printer is on the same wifi network as the iPad, you can try the Epson iPrint app (if compatible with your printer model).

To get your printer onto your network. You need to go through the on-board set-up for wireless network and you will need to enter the SSID and Passcode.
  18. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0
    Hp has a direct to print with wifi hotspot built in that is 100% AirPrint compatible
    Hp 5520e
    This is ideal for any one whom does not have a modem router. Apart from AirPrint hp has an app that allows yu to check cartridges levels etc as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. louisapp

louisapp iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi
    Thanks for your reply. I did buy the wrong printer for wifi and have now exchanged it for another model, XP-305, which is wifi compatible but I still have the same problem. As I don't have a CD player I can't play the accompanying CD. I can't believe I'm the only person without a CD player to buy an Epson printer, as the iPad doesn't have one, of course, so how do other people manage to set up their air-play?
    Louis
  20. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897 / 0
    Hi again Louis - well, your exchanged Epson model above is AirPrint compatible, so you will not need to have a computer; however, both the printer & the iPad must be on the same Wi-Fi network in order to print. Do you have broadband internet accessibility w/ Wi-Fi from where you want to print (assume home)? Dave :)