What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AirPrint problems, can't find printer

hredwoolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Printopia is the answer!

I just downloaded and installed the demo version of Printopia. It's uncanny. I installed it on an iMac in my study, and a Canon MP480 connected via USB to an AirPort Express unit in another room was instantly recognized.

Well, that's nice, I thought. But how will this information be communicated to my iOS4.2.1. iPad?

The answer is that I have no idea. But when I go into Pages, or Safari, etc, and ask the new printer menu item to find printers, the Canon popped up.

I proceeded to print a page, and it worked fine. Bingo. Wireless printing from my iPad. And no code changing a la Hacktivate (which I tried first with no success).

Printopia - Share Your Mac's Printers to iPhone and iPad - Print from iPhone - Ecamm Network

The cost of the full version is $9.99.

knock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just went and bought a brand new HP Photosmart Plus e-AiO (B210a) printer.
This is one of the AirPrint compatible printers listed in the online iPad user guide (last bookmark in Safari bookmark list) and my newly 4.2.1 updated iPad WILL NOT PRINT to it!
I can print via wifi from my desktop PC and my laptop PC. The printer connected to the Internet and downloaded/installed an update. The iPad see's the printer. I can select the printer when selecting "print" from the action arrow. The iPad returns a message saying "Connecting to B210 series Printer" and sits there for several minutes. It then goes away and the print settings icon appears in the multitask menu with a status of "printing." Finally, a dialog box pops up saying the printer is offline....I then successfully print another test page from my laptop.
I have restarted the iPad, restarted the router and printer and finally unplugged and replugged the printer. The iPad will not print.

Everything else seems to be working with the new 4.2.1 update. Any ideas?

Smoke_Family

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"AirPrint is a next-generation Wi-Fi print architecture that dramatically simplifies printing by completely eliminating printer drivers," Apple said in its announcement, emphasizing the user-friendliness for which the company is known.
What Apple did not highlight is that AirPrint works on only a very small subset of available wireless printers, 11, according to Apple's AirPrint information page, all of which are made by Hewlett Packard & Co. Anyone with one of the many wireless printers available from Lexmark, Epson, Canon, Brother or Samsung won’t be able to use the service. Nor does AirPrint yet work with most of HP's other wireless printers, including any of its lower-cost Officejet models.
A post from PC Magazine notes that six more HP models, including Officejets, will be available after Dec. 27, and that Apple will support other manufacturers "down the road." Apple did not immediately respond to questions about which manufacturers would be supported, or when.
Meanwhile, devices running iOS 4.2, the newest version of Apple's mobile operating system, will see an option to "Print" Web pages, e-mails and documents, but unless you've bought one of the select printers, all "Print" will get you is the screen shown above.

knock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update, when I originally went through the printer's initial setup, I chose the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (wps) method of connecting the printer to the network.
I decided to go back through the wifi setup and do it manually this time and it prints from both my iPads without a hitch. Lesson, maybe skip the WPS setup??? go manual instead???

Something neat, when I print something that should be on regular paper, it uses regular paper, but when I print from the iPad's "photo" app, it uses the photo paper.

This is one of the AirPrint compatible printers listed in the online iPad user guide (last bookmark in Safari bookmark list) and my newly 4.2.1 updated iPad WILL NOT PRINT to it!
I can print via wifi from my desktop PC and my laptop PC. The printer connected to the Internet and downloaded/installed an update. The iPad see's the printer. I can select the printer when selecting "print" from the action arrow. The iPad returns a message saying "Connecting to B210 series Printer" and sits there for several minutes. It then goes away and the print settings icon appears in the multitask menu with a status of "printing." Finally, a dialog box pops up saying the printer is offline....I then successfully print another test page from my laptop.
I have restarted the iPad, restarted the router and printer and finally unplugged and replugged the printer. The iPad will not print.

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
knock, I'm going to buy a B210 today. Go back thru that setup again if you would be so nice. Other than the iPad I have a PC with Windows 7 and that is hooked into my Airport Extreme Base Station. The AEBS has an port for printer I'm wondering if I plug in there or just in one of the other ports?

Or is the B210 not plugged into anything?

Last edited:

knock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
knock, I'm going to buy a B210 today. Go back thru that setup again if you would be so nice. Other than the iPad I have a PC with Windows 7 and that is hooked into my Airport Extreme Base Station. The AEBS has an port for printer I'm wondering if I plug in there or just in one of the other ports?

Or is the B210 not plugged into anything?

My B210 has not been directly connected via usb to a PC or anything else. I took it out of the box and followed the instructions to set it up. There comes a point in the instructions where you plug in the power and turn on the unit. From that point you just follow the printer's on-board screen prompts. When you get to the wifi setup, it first asks you if you want to use wifi protected setup (WPS). My router supports this, so I selected yes because it is supposed to be a quick way of securely connecting new wireless devices to a network. Something apparently didn't go as it should have.
Instead of accepting the WPS option, I suggest you move on to the next option, which is manual setup.
Prior to this, make sure your router does not have Mac address filtering enabled, and write down your SSID and network passkey. They are usually found in the wireless settings on your router's setup web page. Check your router's documentation for exact details on how to get to that web page.
Incidentally, your router's wireless security needs to be set to WPA/WPA2 or better.
Continuing with the printer's on-board screen setup, you will be asked which network you wish to access. Select the one that corresponds to your network's SSID. You will then be asked for you network passkey. Enter it and your printer should now automatically connect to your network, download and install updates, and finish by printing some setup pages.
Your iPad shoud see it straight away the next time you select print from an action menu.

sdkramer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me too

Anyone else having problems trying to print directly from the iPad? I have a HP Officejet Pro 8500A. The printer works via wireless when connected to the pc, but yet the iPad can't find it.

EDIT: I just tried sharing the printer on the mac and the iPad still doesn't see it.

I bought an HP b210a suggested by Apple for iOS4.2 and it works with everything but the iPad. Any resolution yet?

The Shaker

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have exactly the same symptoms for my eStation, No Problem sending a print job to it wierlessly from my windows 7 PC but when I try from the Ipad the Ipad finds the printer, says it is connectiong to it then says printing to it then says printer off line!

:mad:

Spinonedad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Air Print won't work

Anyone else having problems trying to print directly from the iPad? I have a HP Officejet Pro 8500A. The printer works via wireless when connected to the pc, but yet the iPad can't find it.

EDIT: I just tried sharing the printer on the mac and the iPad still doesn't see it.

Just got a new HP A110 that is suppose to work with the IPad,

My IPad keeps giving the message No printer found.
Any ideas what I do now?
The report off the printer says everything is ready to go, but IPad doesn't seem to pick up any kind of a signal

WagonMaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to resolve my iPad and iPhone not finding my HP C310a.
It was my linksys Router. When I disabled Wireless Isolation. I was able to locate the printer.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has a program Big Oven and when she would like a copy of a recipe there is no way to print it,only email it. Any ideas anyone.

Al

Mike245

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make wifi visible 1st

For those having problems with eprinters, ensure you try making your wifi network visible before going through the initial setup with your eprinter, especially from HP. I entered mine absolutely correctly manually and my 3Wire modem ID was not recognized by my HP c410a. As soon as I selected the "make the network ID visible" option for my router, the HP found it instantly.

After setting up the printer on the network, I made the router invisible again for added security. AirPrint has worked perfectly since.

Hope that helps someone.

Most reactions

Latest posts