What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

astein

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which one of the Toda/Tasks application for the iPad sync's through the USB cable with Outlook?
From what I've seen all these applications are syncing either via a wireless connection or via the cloud. Both options are not possible for me as the IT infrastructure doesn't allow me so. I only can use the USB cable for syncing.

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After several weeks of trying different note apps for the ipad, I finally came around and loaded Evernote. I was pleasantly surprised that there was a Windows version. I specifically have been avoiding Evernote since I didn't see any claims to interface with Windows.
So back to my initial search requirements:
  • Works with Windows (either syncing to existing programs or Windows Version)
  • Can review notes on Iphone
  • Can takes decent notes using iPad
  • Seamless sync between platforms
I was using Onenote on the PC. I have to admit although Onenote is a very capable program I have found it to be a bit too much for me. The Mobilnoter looked hopeful since it provided versions for both the iPhone and IPad but it proved to be too limited in functions on those platforms. Worst of all the syncing is very poor. It takes too long and sometimes just hangs up.

Evernote appears to be the answer for me. The syncing is very good. I was able to sync my notes on the iPhone using just the 3G network. The iPad has the basic functions that I need to take decent notes. The Windows version has everything I need to have a very comprehensive notebook. Yes, it's not Onenote but does 80% which is all I need.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I have downloaded Evernote to my iPad because I was already using it on my Blackberry. I noticed DropBox now has a Blackberry download as well, so I am getting it, too.

I use my notes to keep track of things during (geek alert) D&D games and such. I have yet (after 4 sessions) to have an issue with battery life on the iPad. The real test will be our quarterly D&D weekend where we spend a weekend at a friend's cabin with no electricity and we game from friday to sunday. I think the car will be charging at some point.

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using Evernote for the past week and the more I use it the more impressed I am about it's capabilities. The syncing is great. Going back and forth between the Desktop and iPhone and iPad is flawless. Better yet I've started using Evernote from the MAC side. I typically only boot up the MAC side when I need iphotos or when I ripping movies. I sometimes surf the web but rarely. Now with Evernote I can take notes and have no problem when I'm back on the PC side since it's all there. I should explain that I'm still using boot camp since my CAD program doesn't do well with any of the other switching OS systems. that makes switching back and forth a pain. I now have been on the MAC more this week than I have all year.
The web clipping is great. It really helps to put everything together when working on a project. I also like the email function were I can forward email relating to a particular program into Evernote using the Email address that Evernote gives you. (This is a feature that I didn't have in Onenote). There seems to be an aftermarket connection with other apps connecting to Evernote allowing extended capabilities.
For me right now Evernote is the best note taking app on the iPad!

Hopkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notetaker HD just had an update in the last few days that really improves the writing quality. The letters are smoother like Penultimate. So for me, Notetaker HD is now the best app for taking handwritten notes on the iPad. I tried Wondershare iDraft as the previous poster listed but there is no wrist guard as far as I can tell which really limits it's usefulness for me. Other than that, it looks pretty nice. I do like the way it handles handwriting.

Bothari

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notes Plus just got an update. I have been looking for the ideal note taking app for some time, and the newest release of Notes Plus has it all. Typed text and drawing integration, great user interface for selecting, deleting, etc. Shape recognition. Zoom view for detailed handwriting.

There are a couple of bugs, but the developer is actively working on fixing them. Of all my investigations into note taking apps, the Notes Plus developer is easily the most responsive to feedback, and his app is most deserving of your attention.

viettran

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notes Plus

... is another contender with advanced smoothing algorithm, closeup writing, shape recognition, sound recording and more.

viettran

iPF Noob
Reaction score
third post to be able to post link

this rule is really stupid - to prevent spam, just do CAPTCHA

notesplusapp.com/about/demo-video

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this rule is really stupid - to prevent spam, just do CAPTCHA

As someone who manages 2 different forums sites - captcha doesn't always work.

Spam is a serious issue on this site. The fact you do not notice it too much is due to diligent moderators and their friends who work in the background evaluating new posts.

I am not a moderator but I could kill those who want to greedily take advantage of or to exploit people new to the iPad as they seek information.

The posts to this thread are good and even I noticed something that surprised me in your video link about Notes Plus so thank you for hanging in their and posting it. If anyone has a problem posting something valuable as a tip PM me and I will assist you in getting it online here.

I also recently found a useful plain text notes app that syncs directly with DropBox which is useful. - FREE

For editing text on iPad & iPhone. PlainText is a simple text editor with a paper-like user interface. Unlike the default Notes app, PlainText allows you to create and organize your documents in folders and sync everything with Dropbox.com. Requires iOS 3.0+

dralimohsin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best iPad note taking App

It is always difficult to answer the question which starts with "Which is the best App for" or something to that effect. After reading few questions and answers posted here it seems like the person who asks the question and the person who answeres it, both have no clue whatsoever.

Look. You can not find The Best App for anything that you want to do whether it is note taking or chatting or any other thing if you don't know what your requirements are. What is the main reason you want this App for?

For example, for somebody who simply needs a note taking app to write simple letters or emails or just wants to write an idea to look at it later, the native iPad App "Notes" is the best App out there. And it even got better after iOS 4.2.1.

If you are somebody who writes notes and want to insert pictures and voice memos in it, your best bet would be Neils Notes.

If you frequently write notes which have repeated entries, you can do that with smartNote, you can create a template with text fields and every time you need to write something, you can just fill up the text boxes and you will be done. you can create multiple Notebooks for different type of entries and create multiple templates and so on and so forth.

And last but not least, if you need to take notes in class, and would like to have a feel of a real paper, you can do that with Notepad Pro. You can record voice memos and write with a stylus on a paper that looks like one in a journal.

I can go on and on describing many other Apps but I think everybody will get the gist of what I am getting at from above.

So my friends, if you ask a question about an app, please specify what exactly it is that you need the App for, and if you are someone who is answering a post, know what the question is before you do.

I didn't want to be rude or disrespectful to anyone here and wrote it thinking, it might help.

But if it offends you in any way, I apologize.

Best regards.

ginopiazza49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may sound a little odd at first for a note taking solution but I use LogMeIn Ignition to connect to my home or work computer and then I use One Note. I love One Note and hope that some of these various note taking apps for iPad rise to a similar level but until they are there onenote is still my note taking solution of choice.

LogMeIn is a great solution for other issues as well, helping mom when she gets stuck and doesn't know what to do on her computer, accessing company e-mail that I can't get directly on the iPad, accessing documents on different machines, graphic remote control for home computer, and on and on.

If you use OneNote, you may want to look into MobileNoter MobileNoter.

Grape Ape

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My note taking needs are pretty simple ... Any apps out there that will allow me to easily make fonts bold, underline and italic?

Most reactions

Latest posts