Best note taking app for iPad

Discussion in 'Productivity Apps Forum' started by mach5k, Apr 19, 2010.

1. xultar

xultar
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I just got SmartNote and it is awesome!!!!!!!

I have notetaker hd and pentultimate but SmartNote is pretty darn good.

2. TTown

TTown
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    What do you like about SmartNote over Notetaker HD? Do you write a lot of notes or just quick notes. I saw the video for SmartNote and like the fact you can write small, but do you have to keep moving the screen as you write a sentence or will it automatically scroll for you?

3. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    SmartNote recently updated again!

It will automatically scroll. SmartNote has just been updated again with a neat print feature, as you print each letter it recognizes it and adds it to the text window.

4. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Rats. Another long thread that is refusing to coalesce into a sound recommendation.
    So many apps with similar aims and executions but not one that really stands out.

I'm currently running with Evernote for storage and organisation since it has several years of notes, Penultimate for quick notation of addresses and phone numbers, and NoteTaker HD for multiple pages of scribble. The latter while great could do with a wider writing box since I scrawl rather than write neatly :(

It's not the organisation that I want so much in a note making app as a fast and efficient way to write notes clearly over several pages of bad finger writing.

Nearly expired watching those SmartNote videos. Can they spell turgid I wonder?.........

5. cmalinowski

cmalinowski
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I used AudioNote and liked what it did. It sounds like it and SoundPaper do about the same thing. I needed something quickly and grabbed it for a meeting. I am not wedded to it, nor do I find it fabulous or lousy. It did what I needed at the time, but I could see needing more in the future.

I like synchronizing the audio to what I am typing... a lot. I'd like to be able to add location to the notes as well. And the handwriting/drawing wasn't very impressive... but also synch'd with the audio which was nice.

I will check out SoundPaper. If there are other apps that will sync the audio and actions (typing, writing/drawing, dropping pictures in the notes, etc) and have location information that would be great.

Thanks,
    Chris

6. azetetic

azetetic
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Codebook is a possibility

Codebook is a notebook app with nice organizational properties and it keeps notes absolutely secure for those looking for privacy

[FONT=&quot]http://zetetic.net/c/codebook-forum[/FONT]

7. Witt

Witt
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    This may sound a little odd at first for a note taking solution but I use LogMeIn Ignition to connect to my home or work computer and then I use One Note. I love One Note and hope that some of these various note taking apps for iPad rise to a similar level but until they are there onenote is still my note taking solution of choice.

LogMeIn is a great solution for other issues as well, helping mom when she gets stuck and doesn't know what to do on her computer, accessing company e-mail that I can't get directly on the iPad, accessing documents on different machines, graphic remote control for home computer, and on and on.

8. xultar

xultar
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I just use different apps for different purposes. Penultimate is a must for hand written notes mostly for work. I use smart note for general typed stuff mostly personal. I use Evernote for shared stuff for family and friends. I use the delivered notes app for quick cut and paste stuff like links, email addys, and phone numbers

9. justinmg

justinmg
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    This is exactly my experience. From reading this thread, my ideal app would be Evernote, with the sound functions of audionote!

10. Rlanger

Rlanger
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've bought both Not Taker HD and Notes Plus, and to me, Notes Plus is the better of the two and an excellent app.

It allows you to take both handwritten and typed notes. Handwritten notes can be selected and moved, which can't be done in Not Taker HD. You can also select and move drawings.

It's not perfect, but it is definitely worth the 5 bucks.