What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

Patrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok people i have one word for the best notetaking app i have yet seen NOTEMASTER. I have emailed the creator and he is very good at emailing back. It puts headers and pictures right in the text where you want them. It also syncs with google docs and unlike evernote it also keeps the files on your ipod so all you with ipod touch and ipad, you never have to be in a wifi zone again. I emailed kabuki vision and in future updates you can expect bulleted lists numbered lists and checkboxed lists. I'm telling you this is the next greatest note app. check it out and you won't be disapointed. I am sure this will be the next awsome note, but better. give it a try and make sure you write a great review for it.

Note to those who want free writing (this is not supported yet but i can tell you the hardworkers at kabuki vision are going to be including it in future updates i'm sure.):):):):D:D:D

So you are either...

1. The app developer, or a friend/family member, or
  2. Someone hired by the app developer to shill for them, or
  3. A private individual who just happens to love this particular app
If (1), then shame on you. I think it is unethical to portray yourself as unaffiliated with the app yet promote it.

If (2), then you're even a lower form of life than in case (1).

If (3), then I'm floored. To think that there's someone who has only two posts to their name used both of them to pump up a single app so effusively, while everyone else thinks it's junk, is such an amazing coincidence. Don't you think?

BTW... If you are in category (3) then you really ought to think about not promoting any more apps, cause you suck at it, and you make people think very, very strongly that you're in one of the other two categories, which doesn't help the app developer at all.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There really isn't a single note taking app that gets what I would consider overall positive reviews. Penultimate is the highest and even that is like 2.5-3 stars last I checked.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The real trouble is that note taking covers such a wide range, from jotting down a telephone number to taking lecture notes. Throw in audio, images, scans and photographs, to say nothing of folder organisation and searches and you have an impossible task to satisfy everyone.

We just have to experiment to find which one/ones fulfill our needs best.
For me that's been Penultimate for the quickies and Evernote for the omnium gatherum.
YMMV

marichards

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Evernote

I just got Evernote for my iPad. Many of my friends swear by it. I'm uder using it , I know. Where can I go to get best triaing on how to use it to best take notes remotely?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heh do what I did. Just used it for a week and bunged everything into the one notebook.
Then at the end of the week see what you have got and create new notebooks and drag entries accordingly.
Takes one hell of a lot of info to get anywhere near the free usage monthly limit.

Evernote forums are very active with lots of ideas and info available.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not the best app to fit your req, but Corkulous is a fun app. It's basically multiple corkboards (with nested sub boards if you want) with notes, tasks, photos, contacts, etc.

No voice or hand notes. No syncing, but you can email PDFs of the boards.

OneNote would be nice to have for the iPad!

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like others here I've found myself to be inept at making notes writing with one finger - but I can type with one hand, so for me Simplenote has been far and away the best app for basic note-taking. It's plain text only so won't suit everyone, but seamlessly synchronizes notes ovr the air between iPad and your desktop note-taking app e.g. Notational Velocity, and between other of your devices running Simplenote e.g. your iPhone.

Simplenote - does what it says. Recommended.

Pete

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an 64GB iPad a week ago, and I've tried 3 different note taking apps.
I like Penultimate best, since it's a Moleskin book clone....
But-
The iPad royally sucks for note taking. Not only do you have to write as slow as possible to let it catch up, but you'll never be able to write in between those small lines.
In short, you could never take notes in class with any iPad app. It's too slow. I hate it. But, luckily note taking was just a side perk to what i really bought the iPad for; TOUCH OSC!!!!
:D
You don't say what the other two apps you tried were, but either you write way faster than me, or you didn't try Note Taker HD. I can't write faster than it can respond, although I am still using my finger, haven't gotten around to ordering a stylus yet. I haven't tried going back and writing between lines I have already written, but it does allow you to change the width of the lines, and you can put the box that fills in the text anywhere on the page you want. I'm just waiting for Dan to add handwriting recognition to be completely happy. Finding this app was the final push I needed to convince me to buy my iPad.

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got writepad today and I'm not happy with it. They are going to have to do a lot of work in it before it is worthy. I just don't think they will do the work.

I'm at a loss with the available vote taking apps right now. We will really need some developers to step up and deliver soon.

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[FONT=Geneva,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]My JournalBoard, v1.0, Developer: Anthone Campbell (4+)
spacer.gif
Write a Review
spacer.gif
Report a Problem
£1.19
My JournalBoard, v1.0 £1.19
I got this for a few reasons, but total waste of money, maybe not much but if you mount it up with more bad apps it starts to eat into the piggy bank.
This app is not worth much to write about as its does not really do anything. Take a look by all means but save your money, i think i made a mistake at looking at there site and then looking at what i though the app was, i got it wrong.
TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND CASH. Have seen better cheaper and even free, i don't mind paying something if it does something, you get more from pen and paper, thinking about it, it might be better to use slate and a chisel...owwwwwwwwwww im old. Have a great day folks..UK Has sun today:D:D:D:D:D

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got SmartNote and it is awesome!!!!!!!

I have notetaker hd and pentultimate but SmartNote is pretty darn good.

TTown

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What do you like about SmartNote over Notetaker HD? Do you write a lot of notes or just quick notes. I saw the video for SmartNote and like the fact you can write small, but do you have to keep moving the screen as you write a sentence or will it automatically scroll for you?

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SmartNote recently updated again!

What do you like about SmartNote over Notetaker HD? Do you write a lot of notes or just quick notes. I saw the video for SmartNote and like the fact you can write small, but do you have to keep moving the screen as you write a sentence or will it automatically scroll for you?

It will automatically scroll. SmartNote has just been updated again with a neat print feature, as you print each letter it recognizes it and adds it to the text window.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rats. Another long thread that is refusing to coalesce into a sound recommendation.
So many apps with similar aims and executions but not one that really stands out.

I'm currently running with Evernote for storage and organisation since it has several years of notes, Penultimate for quick notation of addresses and phone numbers, and NoteTaker HD for multiple pages of scribble. The latter while great could do with a wider writing box since I scrawl rather than write neatly :(

It's not the organisation that I want so much in a note making app as a fast and efficient way to write notes clearly over several pages of bad finger writing.

Nearly expired watching those SmartNote videos. Can they spell turgid I wonder?.........

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used AudioNote and liked what it did. It sounds like it and SoundPaper do about the same thing. I needed something quickly and grabbed it for a meeting. I am not wedded to it, nor do I find it fabulous or lousy. It did what I needed at the time, but I could see needing more in the future.

I like synchronizing the audio to what I am typing... a lot. I'd like to be able to add location to the notes as well. And the handwriting/drawing wasn't very impressive... but also synch'd with the audio which was nice.

I will check out SoundPaper. If there are other apps that will sync the audio and actions (typing, writing/drawing, dropping pictures in the notes, etc) and have location information that would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

Most reactions

Latest posts