What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

azetetic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Codebook is a possibility

Codebook is a notebook app with nice organizational properties and it keeps notes absolutely secure for those looking for privacy

[FONT=&quot]http://zetetic.net/c/codebook-forum[/FONT]

Witt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may sound a little odd at first for a note taking solution but I use LogMeIn Ignition to connect to my home or work computer and then I use One Note. I love One Note and hope that some of these various note taking apps for iPad rise to a similar level but until they are there onenote is still my note taking solution of choice.

LogMeIn is a great solution for other issues as well, helping mom when she gets stuck and doesn't know what to do on her computer, accessing company e-mail that I can't get directly on the iPad, accessing documents on different machines, graphic remote control for home computer, and on and on.

xultar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just use different apps for different purposes. Penultimate is a must for hand written notes mostly for work. I use smart note for general typed stuff mostly personal. I use Evernote for shared stuff for family and friends. I use the delivered notes app for quick cut and paste stuff like links, email addys, and phone numbers

justinmg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used AudioNote and liked what it did. It sounds like it and SoundPaper do about the same thing. I needed something quickly and grabbed it for a meeting. I am not wedded to it, nor do I find it fabulous or lousy. It did what I needed at the time, but I could see needing more in the future.

I like synchronizing the audio to what I am typing... a lot. I'd like to be able to add location to the notes as well. And the handwriting/drawing wasn't very impressive... but also synch'd with the audio which was nice.

Thanks,
Chris
This is exactly my experience. From reading this thread, my ideal app would be Evernote, with the sound functions of audionote!

Rlanger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've bought both Not Taker HD and Notes Plus, and to me, Notes Plus is the better of the two and an excellent app.

It allows you to take both handwritten and typed notes. Handwritten notes can be selected and moved, which can't be done in Not Taker HD. You can also select and move drawings.

It's not perfect, but it is definitely worth the 5 bucks.

Hopkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Penultimate and Note Taker HD. A combination of the two would be ideal. Penultimate with a zoom feature or Note Taker HD with the smoothness of Penultimate. What I mean by smoothness is that in Note Taker HD my handwriting looks like I wrote it after drinking 10 coffees. Penultimate must have some algorithm that smoothes out the lines.

portfolio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Five apps reviewed

SoundPaper - now called SoundNote - has one great feature for journalists or others who take notes in meetings or interviews. It time codes your written notes to the recording, so all you have to do is click on a point in your notes and it will automatically go to that point in the recording.

As a journalist this would be invaluable. I don't think overall SoundNote has the best note taking feature set, but this one aspect makes it a great app for a certain purpose.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
stormrage.bol.ucla.edu
I made an app called "Side by Side". Although it is not a specific note taking app, but it allows you to write some text notes while keeping one or more other windows (e.g. web browser, PDF reader) open side by side.

It has some special features like: one tap to copy today's date; two taps to create a new note from clipboard; edit up to 4 text notes at the same time; resize the note panel.

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SoundPaper - now called SoundNote - has one great feature for journalists or others who take notes in meetings or interviews. It time codes your written notes to the recording, so all you have to do is click on a point in your notes and it will automatically go to that point in the recording.

As a journalist this would be invaluable. I don't think overall SoundNote has the best note taking feature set, but this one aspect makes it a great app for a certain purpose.

WOW! Great find! I'm not thinking just journalist or students, but I'm a technology sales reps, and frequently meet with clients and take meeting notes. Today I use Livescribe pen...I hate that it is an entirely different system, and one more thing to carry, when I want to consolidate. I am demoing this now (just dloaded it), and so far, so good! Not as robust as Livescribe, but if I can consolidate it to my iPad and ditch the pen...I'm a happy camper. Thanks for the great find!!!:D

portfolio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Evernote vs. the rest of the field

I think of Evernote as more of a note management system - something it does terrificially. I was using Yojimbo, but Evernote has better integration across all platforms so my notes are always with me - even on my iPad or iPhone. Still, I don't see it as a note taking tool. SmartNote comes closest to OneNote, but still have to say there is nothing in the iPad or Mac space that rivals OneNote yet. I hate to say that!

Vanilla Face

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I prefer typing my notes. Does anyone know of a note taking app that would allow me to type in chemistry equations? I have tried a bunch of different apps, but none seem to have the ability to insert an equation or the symbols (subscripts, exponents, and charges) into my notes. So far I like sundry notes the best out of the apps I have tried, but it is still far from what I want. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

MaggieB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
appsforipads.net
EverNote vs. OneNote

I have been using Evernote, but now see where the new Windows 7 Phone is going to utilized OneNote.... I am torn. I really hate to have to switch and start all over again... anyone else have a thought on this?

MobileSpoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.mobilespoon.net
Have you tried WhiteNote?

I have it, can't say I'm using it that often, but in terms of features it's a very good on.

Check it out: WhiteNote.

Most reactions

Latest posts