What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

EODtech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Easy Notes Pro for iPad $.99

This is not an ordinary notepad! Extremely easy to use, every possible step that can be avoided to reduce time consuming tasks that exist in similar applications.

Create/Edit/Delete notes
No need to select a filename
Email notes as desired
Full access to copy, paste and more!
All 4 device orientations are supported
Date/Time automatically posted for all notes

I am taking a look at: Notebooks for iPad $8.99

Notebooks for iPad allows you to conveniently write, capture and organize your ideas, notes, reminders, journals, diaries or details of life that you want to keep close at hand. If you need to take an important note, or search for one, you'll always have the ultimate notebook at your fingertips!

Important documents on your computer that you would like to carry along, too? That is easy with Notebooks: simply import and view your PDF, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, RTF and HTML documents, as well as photos, Safari web archives .

Keep your task lists in Notebooks and tick off your to-dos as you complete them. Divide your projects into nested sub projects for better handling, and cross-reference to your filing system or reference library, which is, of course, in Notebooks, too. When a task reaches its due date, Notebooks' badge on the home screen reminds you of pending business.

• Type your notes and texts, no matter how long they are.
• Select your favorite fonts, background colors and patterns.
• Swipe through your notes and change the font size with simple gestures.
• Import your text, HTML, RTF, PDF, MS Office, Apple iWork documents, photos or web archives.
• Import your iPad or iPhone Notes and Palm Memos.
• Quickly create new documents with the contents of the Clipboard.
• Import web pages from Safari
• Import documents from Mail and other iPad apps
• Manage your Task Lists and get things done.
• Keep and maintain your reference library to support task management.
• Create as many nested books as you need.
• Freely move, rename and restructure your documents and books.
• Sort documents by title, by modification date or by custom sort order.
• Find your documents with full text search (plain text, HTML, iWork, Office, RTF and web archives).
• Protect your confidential documents with a passcode.
• Use Notebooks’ links (URLs) to cross-reference documents or books within Notebooks, or to open them from other applications.
• Open documents from and save them to Notebooks, directly from your computer (requires WiFi)
• Synchronize with your computer or with web-based services (WebDAV or Bonjour).
• Send notes and documents by Mail.
• Take advantage of TextExpander touch if you have it installed.

Whether you want to draft or outline a business presentation, type a chapter of your short-story, list your inventory, save web pages for reading them later, write an entry in your diary or journal, tick off your tasks, or just capture notes and ideas on the go, you need to have Notebooks on your iPad.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beware of the shills among us

Notebooks for iPad allows you to conveniently write, capture and organize your ideas, notes, reminders, journals, diaries or details of life that you want to keep close at hand. If you need to take an important note, or search for one, you'll always have the ultimate notebook at your fingertips!

YAHDAH YAHDAH....

Be very careful in investigating this one. Right now I don't think this is worth $0.99 for the iPad much less $9.

At first glance this is another warmed over iPhone application masquerading as as an iPad application. I am trying to figure it out.

Here is the link to his online help from the iPad page in iTunes App Store.

http://notebooks_for_iphone.conespra.com/

The developer has pulled all iPad screen shots as of June 11 at 7 AM EDT.

More later as I track down this developer and the truth (if any) behind all these claims.

--

Just a passing note about smartNote. I could not figure out a function for importing PDFs into smartNote after downloading files from a web site. I contacted the developer via email but then instantly figured out the solution on my own. It wasn't fifteen minutes and I had a reply from the developer in my inbox. After a short bit of back and forth he indicated some of my file handling concerns are being addressed right now. This is the sort of support everyone wants and almost no one ever gets.

After producing a 21 page PDF yesterday and emailing it to a friend working with the same software to show off, I have to give smartNote a cautious rating of one of the better note taking and PDF markup software applications out there for the iPad if not any mobile platform.

There are fundamental differences in how iAnnotate type apps and smartNote deal with an existing PDF. iAnnotate tries to deal with marking up of a PDF by the rules while smartNote just views an existing PDF page as a graphics background image that additional graphics and text can be overlaid on in layers.

smartNote is a powerful program but it is not intuitive at all. It is one of those programs where users have to almost share tips to realize how to tap its power.

If you had a college text book in PDF format this would be a solid tool for adding pages and making notes as the course progressed.
I haven't checked but I suspect this app would be a way around any DRM in an existing PDF. If you can view a PDF page, you own that page in smartNote.

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still haven't found a note app that I can recommend.

What I'm looking for is:
Something that supports really good drawing features like "brushes" or "Sketchbook pro" and easy text input with formatting and bullets. If it had a check box (think todo list) option and a way to enter text and draw on PDF files and images, I would pay up to $20

What I really want is an app like the Microsoft Courier product demos (before it was cancelled). If it could do all of that and support a collaboration feature where you could work together with someone else on a windows, Mac or another iPad, I would pay much, much more.

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anybody looked into the new Note Taker HD?

IMG_0022-642x481.jpg

From AppAdvice:
Review: Note Taker HD :: App Advice

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see anything about a wrist guard in that app....I need that, I'm left handed.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Impresive cursive writing in Note Taker HD app

Has anybody looked into the new Note Taker HD?

IMG_0022-642x481.jpg

From AppAdvice:
Review: Note Taker HD :: App Advice

Look at this video for more on this neat App.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62GiZu70TOw&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Note Taker HD Overview[/ame]

Zman has advanced the discussion with a really good find in iPad apps.
http://www.softwaregarden.com/products/notetakerhd/

Dan Bricklin's® Note Taker HD App

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z72Cb9E0APU&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using penultimate but honestly I'm going to wait until I get my stylus beforee i reserve complete judgement

EODtech

iPF Noob
Reaction score

YAHDAH YAHDAH....

Be very careful in investigating this one. Right now I don't think this is worth $0.99 for the iPad much less $9.

At first glance this is another warmed over iPhone application masquerading as as an iPad application. I am trying to figure it out.

Thanx, Ill save my $9 and continue to use Easy Notes Pro for iPad

ARDOTBEE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need a good note taking app as well, I'm currently using notebook for iPad and it's working well for me.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SoundPaper Adds More New Features Today

Ok I'm sorry to mislead you (according to you) but I want to make a point that notemaster is still the best app out their for notes (and it will be supported by ipad soon). It got the staff choice award and the best new app award too and that should say it all. If you purely want an ipad app then give it some time to update but you won't be disapointed:)

The whole point is that with respect, NoteMaster isn't even close to the real iPad apps for taking notes. You simply have not looked at tons of better apps. I know because I have TRIED and USE the iPad to take notes with them all. One of my favorites is SoundPaper which syncs your notes to audio in real time. You can start and stop the audio recording as you take notes too. Tap on text in a page and hear what was being said at that instant! Scrub back and forth with slider on playback bar. Then you can email both notes and audio to others. If you get tired you can stop typing notes, tap the sleep button and continue recording covertly, no one is the wiser!

Smartnote does not sync with audio like SoundPaper but it has some amazing features in the new iPad version 1.3.

SMARTNOTE VIDEO
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w2J7R3ROAY&feature=digest"]smartNote v1.3 Overview[/ame]

SoundPaper got a point upgrade with new features today. It got synced drawing support so you can take both typed notes and make diagrams linked to the audio all on one page.

Read the itunes app store for more notes on SoundPaper

SoundPaper is the best way to take notes on your iPad.
It tracks what you type and draw while recording audio, so you'll never worry about missing an important detail.
While playing back your recording, just tap a word; SoundPaper will jump right to that point in the audio.
If you need to use another document or app, SoundPaper will automatically pause the recording. When you come back, just tap the "Record" button. SoundPaper will continue from where you left off.
Use SoundPaper's powerful drawing tool for quick sketches. It's easy to edit them, too. Tap a drawing to select it, or tap twice to select an individual stroke. From there, you can drag it to wherever you want, or tap "Delete" to get rid of it. Use two fingers to zoom and scroll.
SoundPaper is perfect for students. If you ever fall asleep in class, don't worry — SoundPaper's got your back. Just tap what you wrote while you were awake, and SoundPaper will play the audio to help you fill in the blanks.
SoundPaper is also great for journalists. Ever miss an important detail during an interview and have to skim through your entire recording to find out what it was? With SoundPaper, just tap a word from that part of the interview — it'll play back what you missed.
When you're done, share your text, drawings, and audio notes via email, or transfer them directly to your Mac or PC. Audio notes are recorded in standard M4A format: One hour of high quality audio is only 20MB.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love Evernote and Penultimate, but if you are going to use the latter grab a stylus. It's great for noting down short items but with big hands and fingers you have chunky writing and quickly run out of space....

Still great for quickly noting an email addy, phone number, shopping list etc..

bentwookie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't found any of the hand-writing apps to be very usable. I've been using CourseNotes on my iPad for notes. I like the organization of the app. There's a demo movie on coursenotesapp.com.

toilets

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad is the worst for note taking.

I bought an 64GB iPad a week ago, and I've tried 3 different note taking apps.
I like Penultimate best, since it's a Moleskin book clone....
But-
The iPad royally sucks for note taking. Not only do you have to write as slow as possible to let it catch up, but you'll never be able to write in between those small lines.
In short, you could never take notes in class with any iPad app. It's too slow. I hate it. But, luckily note taking was just a side perk to what i really bought the iPad for; TOUCH OSC!!!!
:D

Most reactions

Latest posts