What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note taking, pdf editing apps

cutedogs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for some good apps for taking notes and editing PDFs. The one app doesn't have to do both the tasks but that would be great too.

At the moment for notes I'm using iDo- notepad lite for notes. The biggest letdown is that it doesn't seem to have spellcheck. For this reason I don't want to upgrade to the full version cause it looks like (from my casual scan) that it doesn't have spellcheck either. But otherwise I think it's a great app. Only other qualm is that it doesn't let me make different bits of writing different text/colours.

As for PDF editing I haven't really got any apps for that yet (I only got my iPad a few days ago). But I need to be able to highlight, scribble, copy-paste, completely massacre the PDF that I want to :)

I was hoping for apps that are free,but I am willing to pay for ones that combine all the note taking/PDF editing/ word and just all the education type needs.

So any app suggestions along these lines would be great.

Last edited:

ctillerjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best PDF app cost $9.99 and is called PDF Expert it's PDF on steroids. It does all that you want plus fills in PDF forms and much more, it is well worth the price if you work with a lot of PDFs.✨

yellowhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use PDF expert and thought it had everything. But if u want to save a webpage as a PDF to read in the program you have to buy another app. Throw all ur money to the corporate gawds? Theres an app for that.

vecchias

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader + WebToolBox duo is all you need. GoodReader does all the pdf annotation things but lacks the functionality of saving a webpage as pdf. And only the pdf format is available for annotation on GoodReader. You can save webpages to GoodReader simply by adding a "g" in front of the http of the url. And it automatically directs you to the app itself. But as I mentioned above, webpage will be saved as html and you won't be able to annotate on it since it's not a pdf.

Here, WebToolBox takes the responsibility. With its specialized bookmarklet code, you can view an entire webpage in pdf format, directly on Safari. And again by putting simply a "g" in front of that newly created pdf-formatted webpage, you can save it to GoodReader and do all the annotation or sharing stuffs as you want.

I haven't used PdfExpert but GoodReader is a lot cheaper and I believe it covers nearly the every aspect of the PdfExpert. Don't think that a 5$-deficit will put GoodReader far below the PdfExpert, in terms of functionality. For the folks that are looking for relatively cheap app, I strrongly recommend the GoodReader for pdf and annotation stuff.

Hope this helps and again I hope I didn't make it confusing :)

BRoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have PDF expert and good reader and about 7 other similar apps, but have really loved the ease of use of PDF expert. It is great! The same company has released Remarks, which allows you to annotate PDFs, but it doesnt have as many extra features like signatures (which you can do as an annotation anyway!) and adding some stamps/shapes. BUT, remarks also has a note taking feature, which is basic at best, still has some room to improve, however if you want PDF annotating and Note taking, it's a good compromise.

SKP1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where are you able to download PDF expert for the iPad? On the desktop, I use primo PDF and have really done well with it.

Thank you for sharing. I am really curious to know.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SKP1001 said:
Where are you able to download PDF expert for the iPad? On the desktop, I use primo PDF and have really done well with it.

Thank you for sharing. I am really curious to know.

It's an App Store app.

yellowhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They say that the new PDF expert allows embedding of video and audio and PDF creation. I haven't really had the urge to pay all over again. So far it's fairly cool if you are impressed by PDFs on your iPad, about a year later. Lol

Most reactions