What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking now legal - what does this change for us??

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that jail breaking is legal, what do we get to look forward to? Are we going to see more APP sites with better deals on APPS? Are we going to see more free APPS ? I'm just curious what benefit of being legal will do. :confused:

OP
C

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has always been legal

I've heard people saying this and it makes this subject more confusing. What did the recent ruling making jail breaking legal actually mean. Did the ruling just validate and confirm jail breaking legal :confused:

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone explained to me jb is legal while installous is not. As installous is like torrentz. It's piracy.

OP
C

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone explained to me jb is legal while installous is not. As installous is like torrentz. It's piracy.

Installous and Cydia and some others are hacking software to put it on the free market and that i believe this is the illegal aspect of jail breaking.. just my guess, this whole jailbreak business confess the heck out of me:confused:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Nothing has changed.

Jailbreaking is STILL legal. Installing paid apps for free is still illegal.

Jailbreaking is changing the ipad that you own to allow new features.

installing paid apps for free is stealing, not much to be confused about.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Legality is not the only problem with jailbreaking.
Remember jb apps are non curated.
Android had a recent scare about an app forwarding users details to a Chinese website.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Legality is not the only problem with jailbreaking.
Remember jb apps are non curated.
Android had a recent scare about an app forwarding users details to a Chinese website.

Yeah well you know what your getting yourself into when you JB. When you jailbreak your device your are actually removing some of apples security checks and allowing any app to do whatever it wants (even app store apps that have been through the review process can be of some danger after JB).

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah well you know what your getting yourself into when you JB. When you jailbreak your device your are actually removing some of apples security checks and allowing any app to do whatever it wants (even app store apps that have been through the review process can be of some danger after JB).

This is very informative. What would the apps do? Inquiring Minds Wanna Know.:D

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

This is very informative. What would the apps do? Inquiring Minds Wanna Know.:D

anything... after you jailbreak your device all apps have full access to do as they please.

Collect personal info etc.... Thats why you should make sure you know what your installing before just installing random stuff. Especially doing things like adding repo's to cydia, make sure its a safe repo before adding it.

Jimboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Installaous isnt technically illegal

How u use it can make it illegal

It's like having a bit torrent client on ur computer

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anything... after you jailbreak your device all apps have full access to do as they please.

Collect personal info etc.... Thats why you should make sure you know what your installing before just installing random stuff. Especially doing things like adding repo's to cydia, make sure its a safe repo before adding it.

Well that is a scary thought. What is a repo? I know what Cydia is ~ believe it or not.

Jimboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Repo is a repository

It's a site where all a bunch of apps, mods, tweaks, etc. are located

Most reactions